MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Texas_Rebel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

Guitar Help?

I'm wanting to get a new electic guitar because my old one doesn't want to keep a tune and the pick ups are going out and its old as dirt so why not get a new or slightly used one I'am a beginner so i dont need fancy but i do want something that will "grow" with me and i keep it for sometime with regular maintenance and such...thanks for the help in advance-Q
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
know anything about guitar repair? Chris24 Off Topic 2 07-14-2011 06:00 PM
Guitar help please zorn Off Topic 8 03-05-2009 03:50 PM
GUITAR GUITAR The -_-Asian Off Topic 8 01-26-2009 09:17 AM
Guitar pro's !!!! ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 23 10-15-2008 09:07 AM
My Guitar Hero Scorpio Off Topic 18 09-26-2008 03:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
well since you have some experiance and kind of know what you want...i suggest try going a couple places.

shops. always hit or miss, but you never know what kind of deals they might have. alot of shops dont always have a "music guy" working there. so if some pothead musician pawns his $1000 guitar for $100, and never picks it up, you can get it for a steal. as far as the shop thinks it probably worth a few hundred bucks only.

that being said, go check out guitar center too. i havnt been there in years, but sometimes i still hear there crazy radio ads. i found they sometimes dont want to haggle too much on any one thing, but if you go in there with a few hundred to spend, they will often be willing to throw some stuff in for free. it helps, even if its just a strap, a spare set of strings, and a handful of pics.

everyone says fender, but their child brand squire is good enough for most of us. i also highly recommend looking at some peavey's. like the raptor 2. peavey's whole thing is being able to make electronics at a very low cost, so they put out a very competive product at a good price!

ive been thinking about picking one up again, i played for a few years in my youth, just havnt had time and funds for another hobby lately. if i did get something, it would be an ibanez in the $200-$250 range. thats not insanly expensive but they are still hella nice.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
Texas_Rebel

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

I had planned on making a trip to the guitar center on nasa rd 1 tomorrow or saturday, but i wanted some opinions so i wasn't swayed by there get a gibson les paul fro 1200 dollars bit lol guess everyone's gotta make money somehow...

I really dont know much about electics in the sense of sound and quality of some of the less heard of brands besides fender and gibson....i have a fender amp that is ancient heck it still has vacume tubes lol old skool just never quits ha ha
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I would get a nice esp or washburn with emg 81 - 85's for a nice crunchy tone...
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Texas_Rebel

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

I really dont need to drop a grand on a guitar i'm not out to play any shows or win a contest just play at the house from time to time as i said im still in learning mode....

do you know of a guitar that would give similar sound without the price lol thanks for the help
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I would just go and try a few different guitars. They are like helmets... each is made differently and fits your hand differently. remember... you get what you pay for and typically the more money you spend, the easier it is to play and the better it sounds. esp make good gibson looking guitars at reasonable prices.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Texas_Rebel

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

I can understand you get what you pay for, if not i wouldn't have gotten an Arai helmet right off, i guess im looking for something not cheap but middle of the road that will suit my needs....Would guitar center be a good place to shop or should i try another shop like H&H or something thank you
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

guitar center would be the place to go. You never know... they have a good selection of used guitars and sometimes deals are to be had.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Texas_Rebel

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

thanks alot i really appreciate it
Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I'm not current, but I bought a guitar from: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

I'm checking on a few guitars for someone else this weekend, if you want me to see if I can scrounge up a specific one for you as well just PM me and I'll see what I can find Lots of guitars come through the shop, never know what we'll get.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they don’t have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Stacy
One day at a time!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
guitar center would be the place to go. You never know... they have a good selection of used guitars and sometimes deals are to be had.
That's where I've bought all of my sons guitars, bass and drum set...the sales people are excellent, always friendly and very helpful. Yes they're there to make money, but they also know their stuff and are more then happy to help a noob without trying to screw them over for a buck.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marishka29 View Post
That's where I've bought all of my sons guitars, bass and drum set...the sales people are excellent, always friendly and very helpful. Yes they're there to make money, but they also know their stuff and are more then happy to help a noob without trying to screw them over for a buck.

+1... 3 guitars from GC already and they have a great sale now through Easter on their more expensive models.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I'm not current, but I bought a guitar from: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/
Good place to start.

Solid body electric or......?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

If you guitar is not staying in tune, you might make sure you have at least 3 winds on each tuning post. If not, hard strumming and bends throw it out of tune every time. If that doesn't fix it, a Floyd Rose sure will! Make sure your guitar is setup properly before you worry about getting a new one.
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #16
Texas_Rebel

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10 View Post
If you guitar is not staying in tune, you might make sure you have at least 3 winds on each tuning post. If not, hard strumming and bends throw it out of tune every time. If that doesn't fix it, a Floyd Rose sure will! Make sure your guitar is setup properly before you worry about getting a new one.
I've messed with it many times and still wont hold a tune it seems, but i believe that the neck is warped because it was in storage and thrown around alot before i got it from my parents.

How much do you think it would cost to replace the pick-ups on a guitar or can you for that matter?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rebel View Post
I've messed with it many times and still wont hold a tune it seems, but i believe that the neck is warped because it was in storage and thrown around alot before i got it from my parents.

How much do you think it would cost to replace the pick-ups on a guitar or can you for that matter?
anything can be replaced on a guitar...tuning knobs, frets, pick-ups, bridges etc....... even the neck can be adjusted.... as long as it has a truss rod.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
Texas_Rebel

Bike(s):
GSX-R600K7

i may look into getting the one i have fixed or just set-up properly instead of investing in a whole new guitar
Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Go to Guitar Center to look ... but don't buy from them (sorry if anyone here works there). Do yourself a favor and check out craigslist or even better ... Danny D's

I play a Strat and a Jaguar ... would love to be able to get a Les Paul one day but Motorcycle stuff keeps getting in the way...

Anyway ... if you really do want someone to go with you, drop me a line... I live in Friendswood and am about 15 minutes from both Guitar Center and Danny D's
Old 03-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #20
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

300-400 gets you a nice used mexican strat ... American made is way too expensive ... but oh so nice ...

Advertisement