MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Gregg Jacob
Captain Morgan's Dad
 
Gregg Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LA Porte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 136












Gear chart program, excel

Have an Excel Gear chart program that I would like to share with the Racing forum but can't figure out how to attach it so all can benifit. The Excel file lets the person imput thir trans. ratios and sprockets and will give them a chart with final ratio and top speed for each gear change. If the moderators can tell me or I can email it to them so they can put it in I'm sure everyone will fine it useful. We used it at every race Morgan ran with his Formual 125 shifter kart. Easily adapted to bikes

Gregg
Gregg Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiation chart... cedestech Off Topic 10 03-23-2011 08:36 AM
I need Excel Help HoustonRealtor Off Topic 7 01-02-2009 08:18 PM
I get a star on my chart! Dementia General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 04-28-2007 11:49 AM
Gearing Chart MadseasoN Performance and Modifications 1 04-15-2006 01:20 PM
CHART FastLine Off Topic 9 10-15-2005 07:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
OMEGA
good eenin *****es
 
OMEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: se houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 7,971

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000




Member Garage





sweet! racerx or solracer, pm one of those guys
__________________
GU flag
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS!
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Gregg Jacob
Captain Morgan's Dad
 
Gregg Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LA Porte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 136












gear chart

Sent racerx a pm..hopefully I can get this to all of you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC6724.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	10551  
Gregg Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











on the bottom of the this page hit, "Go Advance"

Then on the next page click the button that looks like a paper clip.

you can attach

bmp 19.5 KB 620 280
doc 19.5 KB - -
gif 19.5 KB 620 280
jpe 19.5 KB 620 280
jpeg 19.5 KB 620 280
jpg 97.7 KB - -
pdf 19.5 KB - -
png 19.5 KB 620 280
psd 19.5 KB - -
txt 19.5 KB - -
zip 97.7 KB - -


so if its relativity small put it in a zip file and post it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Gregg Jacob
Captain Morgan's Dad
 
Gregg Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LA Porte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 136












Not good with zipin a file...can someone send me an email address and I can send it to them to zip and post...it is very important at races that you know were your gearing is at.

Here's a pic of Captain Morgan I took at Oak Hill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC4225-REWORKED.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	10552  
Gregg Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











sent
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Gregg Jacob
Captain Morgan's Dad
 
Gregg Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LA Porte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 136












Have to sign off for right now...Workin from 7pm to 7am tonite...will ck latter
Gregg Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Gregg Jacob
Captain Morgan's Dad
 
Gregg Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LA Porte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 136












Sent file to lilmckee to zip and post.

When you get it you can open it with MS Excell. Go to the varialbes page and change the transmission ratios and primary reduction ratio to the ones for your bike. If you don't know them look up on the internet or in your handbook. You also need the rear circumfrence of the rear wheel and the RPM were your bike makes peak HP. Then you can put in the different sprockets available for your bike, just take out the the sprockets in the cart that we had for the CR 125 and kart.

You will find tring to fine the next combination of sprockets very easy. Look at the chart for the our shifter kart and play with that first, or better yet store it then copy as to make a working dup.

Any problems let me know

Gregg
Gregg Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Jacob View Post
Sent file to lilmckee to zip and post.

When you get it you can open it with MS Excell. Go to the varialbes page and change the transmission ratios and primary reduction ratio to the ones for your bike. If you don't know them look up on the internet or in your handbook. You also need the rear circumfrence of the rear wheel and the RPM were your bike makes peak HP. Then you can put in the different sprockets available for your bike, just take out the the sprockets in the cart that we had for the CR 125 and kart.

You will find tring to fine the next combination of sprockets very easy. Look at the chart for the our shifter kart and play with that first, or better yet store it then copy as to make a working dup.

Any problems let me know

Gregg
Attached Files
File Type: zip New_Gear_Ratio_Chart_CR125.zip (12.7 KB, 93 views)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











any one know a 03gsxr600 transmission ratios and primary reduction ratio?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Gregg Jacob
Captain Morgan's Dad
 
Gregg Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LA Porte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 136












Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
any one know a 03gsxr600 transmission ratios and primary reduction ratio?
I looked on the internet and came up blank..might try a service manual.

Thanks for zipin the file for me and posting

Did you play with it at all???

Gregg
Gregg Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Jacob View Post
I looked on the internet and came up blank..might try a service manual.

Thanks for zipin the file for me and posting

Did you play with it at all???

Gregg


ya I tried a 03 cbr 600, and looked like it worked, thanks man
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Gregg Jacob
Captain Morgan's Dad
 
Gregg Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LA Porte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 136












Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
ya I tried a 03 cbr 600, and looked like it worked, thanks man
need to be sure of gearbox ratio for your bike
Gregg Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Jacob View Post
need to be sure of gearbox ratio for your bike
I will, once I find it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
Rico
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 40












Cool spreadsheet. Say's my stock R1 @ 13,500 RPM in 6th gear should be moving @ 182 MPH.

I mounted a camera to my gas tank a while back and recorded a run where the speedo read 185 MPH and I wasn't anywhere near 13,500. I know the speedo can be way off, especially at those speeds.

Anyone know if the same inaccuracies exist with the tach as well?
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by NukePoweredR1 View Post
Cool spreadsheet. Say's my stock R1 @ 13,500 RPM in 6th gear should be moving @ 182 MPH.

I mounted a camera to my gas tank a while back and recorded a run where the speedo read 185 MPH and I wasn't anywhere near 13,500. I know the speedo can be way off, especially at those speeds.

Anyone know if the same inaccuracies exist with the tach as well?
It doesn't take into account, slope, grade, tires, weight, and wind resistance.

You need to enter the transmission ratios and primary reduction ratio as well. (Don't know if you caught that)


I'm pretty sure theres no error in the tach (stock) if it is, my guess would be less then 1%
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
Rico
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 40












I don't think the other parameters should matter.

I updated the transmission ratios, primary reduction ratio, # of teeth on the drive axle and rear sprocket, and the circumfrence of the rear tire.

I think this is basically a geometry problem and if you input those values correctly the speed should be exact.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #18
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes
 
lilmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 28,009

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by NukePoweredR1 View Post
I don't think the other parameters should matter.

I updated the transmission ratios, primary reduction ratio, # of teeth on the drive axle and rear sprocket, and the circumfrence of the rear tire.

I think this is basically a geometry problem and if you input those values correctly the speed should be exact.
I don't know then, haven't got to use it too much, can't find the ratios for my bike.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man [mckee] does not exist


where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #19
meadorracing
Member
 
meadorracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: LaPorte, Tx
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 81

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600 (football pot track bike)
'07 SV650 track bike
'06 SV650 track bike (soon to be converted back to street trim w/'09 bodywork)
KX-85 mini motard






http://www.gearingcommander.com/

This is the best gearing site I have ever seen. It should answer all your questions from stock ratios to custom.

Don

Last edited by meadorracing; 04-06-2008 at 07:53 AM.
meadorracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy