Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

registration .

Since this is my first bike, i have to have a lot of go wrong. the bike is pretty great mechanically, but my problem is just getting it legal. the previous owner never registered the bike, and to complicate things, i traded a car for the bike, so there's no sell value or anything.
i have been to the title place twice to get this thing titled. the first time they had me go away and have the previous owner to the previous owner get a signature on there. so i went back yesterday morning thinking that i would be able to get a registration for my bike. no. now they want this form filled out saying what exactly was traded, with vin numbers and all this other junk. i left the office, cooled off outside, and came back and got a bonded title application since i cant get in contact with the previous owner anymore (<- sucks).
so i quickly read through the bonded title packet, and i need to get a rubbing of my vin, and have the bike appraised, and i have to take it to some place in houston and have it inspected. man, what the ?
i want to get my bike legal, so i dont have to feel like a felon for just riding to work at the speed limit.

has anyone else gone through this?
i'm about at the point where i want to just pust the bike on craigslist and try to trade for something like a ninja 500 or gs500 or even a good ninja 250 THAT ALREADY HAS ALL THE STICKERS AND .

man, i'm at the end of my rope... i just want to do the right thing, but they make it so tedious.
sagelike wisdom will be appreciated, and also for reference bike is a 2001 sv650. oh, and the traded car was a drift toy '94 miata that i wouldnt have likely been able to sell due to mods and paint.

Last edited by loosenoose; 03-19-2008 at 10:09 PM.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well ! kpar21 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-27-2011 07:33 AM
more !!!!!! H2447INTX Off Topic 16 05-16-2010 07:09 PM
Badzx14r Off Topic 7 01-15-2010 04:55 PM
! blends General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 11-13-2008 08:22 AM
sixerSLYGUY General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-01-2007 01:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 shadow aero - sold, 02 954rr baby!

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearalex
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
Since this is my first bike, i have to have a lot of go wrong. the bike is pretty great mechanically, but my problem is just getting it legal. the previous owner never registered the bike, and to complicate things, i traded a car for the bike, so there's no sell value or anything.
i have been to the title place twice to get this thing titled. the first time they had me go away and have the previous owner to the previous owner get a signature on there. so i went back yesterday morning thinking that i would be able to get a registration for my bike. no. now they want this form filled out saying what exactly was traded, with vin numbers and all this other junk. i left the office, cooled off outside, and came back and got a bonded title application since i cant get in contact with the previous owner anymore (<- sucks).
so i quickly read through the bonded title packet, and i need to get a rubbing of my vin, and have the bike appraised, and i have to take it to some place in houston and have it inspected. man, what the ?
i want to get my bike legal, so i dont have to feel like a felon for just riding to work at the speed limit.

has anyone else gone through this?
i'm about at the point where i want to just pust the bike on craigslist and try to trade for something like a ninja 500 or gs500 or even a good ninja 250 THAT ALREADY HAS ALL THE STICKERS AND .

man, i'm at the end of my rope... i just want to do the right thing, but they make it so tedious.
sagelike wisdom will be appreciated, and also for reference bike is a 2001 sv650. oh, and the traded car was a drift toy '94 miata that i wouldnt have likely been able to sell due to mods and paint.

i am looking for a bike and i have been seeing a lot of bikes on craigslist without titles... people should be wary of those.

When you traded your car for his bike - how did you know it was his? and not his brother's for example? The title is there to certify the ownership - it is not just a bureaucratic piece of paper - it actually serves a purpose...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Yup, did the same exact thing on my first bike. Guy before me never transferred title. I got ahold of him and we went to the tax office together, well...the jackass before him didn't either. I ended up going with a bonded title and just used USAA for my bond(my ins. company for my truck). It took a day and a half and a couple trips to Houston to get my bike titled
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Go ahead and get paper tags for a month, it's like $30 or something around that. The Tax office will give those to you since you have possession of the title. This gives you plenty of time to take the necessary measures to do the bonded title. Etching of the VIN takes about 5 minutes, I couldn't get it because I have a sticker over my etched vin and they allowed a photo. You can go to any regular inspection station, doesn't have to be in Houston. If the bike was last registered out of state be sure to tell the inspector, it'll be an extra $2.50 for the form, hang on to it you'll need it. You do have to make one trip to Houston, be sure you have EVERYTHING you need before you do. As long as you do it will be very painless. Use USAA or a company of the like for the bond. You don't need to get it appraised either, go off NADA value. When you go back to the tax office don't say you traded for it, say it was a gift from an old friend, why is not their business and they won't ask. I'm not sure if that's technically legal but the taxes are the same so they are still getting their cut IIRC(~$15 gift tax). PM me for my cell if you need any other info.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

when i go into houston, they dont need me there with the bike, do they?
i feel pretty confident in my riding abilities, but houston traffic on my bike scares me.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearalex View Post
When you traded your car for his bike - how did you know it was his? and not his brother's for example? The title is there to certify the ownership - it is not just a piece of paper - it actually serves a purpose...
it is bureaucratic , but i do know this was his bike because i have the contact info for the owner previous to him. dude worked with him for a while and he sold him the bike. the 1st owner is a pretty cool guy. he helped me out with the title with no problem. it's just that the predicament of the trade is just such a . traded a car for a bike, anf the bike had no registration, inspection, and hadnt gotten a title transfer. man. wtf.

dvlracer do you have any contact info for usaa?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
when i go into houston, they dont need me there with the bike, do they?
i feel pretty confident in my riding abilities, but houston traffic on my bike scares me.
Haha no, It's off 290 and I can't think of the cross street for the life of me
Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
dvlracer do you have any contact info for usaa?
Give me a minute and I'll get the # you need.

I forget the technical name of the type of bond you need :/:

Last edited by a forum moderator; 03-19-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

1-800-531-USAA

Call their main number and ask to be directed to the bond department
Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
The VI-30A form costs an extra $1, not $2.50

I felt like nitpicking.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch View Post
The VI-30A form costs an extra $1, not $2.50

I felt like nitpicking.
Was 2.50 when I did it, but maybe my guy just didn't like me. Thanks for pointing it out though
Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
direnzoneto03

Feedback Rating: (0)

Hey there... Do you still need assitance with a bonded title? I'm going thru the same situation and I believe I became an expert on it. Well if you still need assitance I can give you the step by step. I hardly post here so send me a e-mail at direnzoneto03@yahoo.com and I will show you how to get a bonded title. It is a tideous process but is the only way you can get your bike licensed
direnzoneto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i think i should have it under control now. i have the title, so no more bonded title. i got my dad, who deals with all sorts of legal for his job, and he made a bill of even trade for me. i had a spot for my signature and his and mailed it to him. this is what the lady at the title office had told me to get this.

Advertisement