MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
coojo
Uber Newb

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

baaaad day to travel

I'm a noob, checked the weather report and didn't even check for wind . Me and my ninja 250 are under 500 lbs together, heading up the 290 exit to Austin about 50 (was still slowing down from 70) I kept getting blown around by the wind towards the guard rail, I started fixating on it and just couldn't steer against that wind (having no experience is a ). I was afraid that if I hit I would fly over and probably be dead, so when i got near I tried to get as parallel to it as I could and I threw a hard kick, bike jumped away and went down on the left side, I went down and rolled. No cars were around, I had time to pick myself up and slink to the side of the road. A man in a truck stopped and asked if I needed any help, he called 911 and moved my bike out of the road (thanks Bryan, wish i had gotten your last name). Anyways, I take a little ride to the hospital and get some x-rays on my ankle (the left one, not the one I kicked with, I hit the ground hard with it). My cheap 20$ gloves definately did their best and my hands are mostly ok, the concrete ripped through my joe rocket leggings and tore into my jeans so i just got a little road rash on my left knee. Other than that, sprained left ankle, jammed my right thumb, and a nice large scuff across the visor of my helmet. My riding days are going to be delayed until I get the money to fix my bike and get new gear, and pay off my parents for the cost of towing and ambulance ride. But I'm not giving up riding, and I will still be their April 12th.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got a baaaad habit. darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-22-2013 04:04 PM
Baaaad way to go... mjrauma General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-17-2012 01:36 PM
O...M...G....This bike is BAAAAD!!!! txferrari General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 11-01-2007 10:51 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

you kicked a guardrail and lost control of your bike?
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Warpbender
warped and bent

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)

Member Garage

man that sux!
I'm glad you're not in worse shape, those guard rails can bite!

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

i kicked it and wasn't really worried about regaining control, i was in that curve and just trying to stay on the road.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Waerloga

Member Garage

Oh dude, not wise. I don't fare onto the freeways on the ninja when its windy. Get well soon!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

ya, i'll heal up soon enough. a cop stopped by and thanked me for wearing a helmet. I think everyone was relieved it wasn't as bad as most motorcycle accidents they see. I'm just glad I'm still here, real eye opener for me today.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
sixshooter1125
Shiver me timbers

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 Harley Roadking
2007 CRF450r
2005 CR125r
2004 R6 *sold*
2001 xr50

You JUST got your bike running..

Riding for what, 2 months!!!!!!

Maybe you should, ya know give up...
sixshooter1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

i love riding though, it's a setback, and i'll take it as a warning of what will happen if i don't act more careful, but not as a sign to quit
Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

^^^ one reason why i try not to ride alone, glad to here your ok, if ya need any help shoot me a PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Wow, I've encountered some pretty bad wind before but never to the extent of fearing for my life, maybe it makes a difference cuz my bike is almost 500 pounds, but I've had lighter bikes...Let this be a lesson to not ride outside of your abilities, taking a trip to Austin after 2 weeks riding is foolish(correct me if I'm wrong). Also, if you ever catch yourself over your head, which you said you noticed yourself blowing around a lot and being pushed toward the guardrail, immediately stop and re-assess the situation. Take care and good luck with everything.

~Keith
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
I kept getting blown around by the wind towards the guard rail,ride.
This is what I don't understand. If you had been getting blown around in the wind, assuming it was continually blowing you the same direction the whole time, why didn't you just simply adjust your lane position based on that?

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):
06 shadow aero - sold, 02 954rr baby!

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearalex
Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
I'm a noob, checked the weather report and didn't even check for wind . Me and my ninja 250 are under 500 lbs together, heading up the 290 exit to Austin about 50 (was still slowing down from 70) I kept getting blown around by the wind towards the guard rail, I started fixating on it and just couldn't steer against that wind (having no experience is a ). I was afraid that if I hit I would fly over and probably be dead, so when i got near I tried to get as parallel to it as I could and I threw a hard kick, bike jumped away and went down on the left side, I went down and rolled. No cars were around, I had time to pick myself up and slink to the side of the road. A man in a truck stopped and asked if I needed any help, he called 911 and moved my bike out of the road (thanks Bryan, wish i had gotten your last name). Anyways, I take a little ride to the hospital and get some x-rays on my ankle (the left one, not the one I kicked with, I hit the ground hard with it). My cheap 20$ gloves definately did their best and my hands are mostly ok, the concrete ripped through my joe rocket leggings and tore into my jeans so i just got a little road rash on my left knee. Other than that, sprained left ankle, jammed my right thumb, and a nice large scuff across the visor of my helmet. My riding days are going to be delayed until I get the money to fix my bike and get new gear, and pay off my parents for the cost of towing and ambulance ride. But I'm not giving up riding, and I will still be their April 12th.
Sorry to hear about your little mishap man, but you know in a way i kinda envy you for having your experience. I am a noob too i ride since nov. i have 4 kmiles under my belt but i never laid a bike over. Its a matter of when that happens not if that happens. Now that i am looking to jump on a big bike it scares me somewhat...

Big thumbs up on apr 12 thing!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearalex View Post
Its a matter of when that happens not if that happens.
Everytime I see someone say something like this it me off...no it's not. Period.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Everytime I see someone say something like this it me off...no it's not. Period.
+1 even though I wrecked for the first time on Sunday

Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your little mishap man, but you know in a way i kinda envy you for having your experience. I am a noob too i ride since nov. i have 4 kmiles under my belt but i never laid a bike over. Its a matter of when that happens not if that happens. Now that i am looking to jump on a big bike it scares me somewhat...
You can jump off the back of mine on the highway if you want? You'll get the full effect without having to repair the bike. I don't *envy* that experience at all, and I pray that I never have to understand it from a personal perspective.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
im sorry Keith and Gary, i base my observation on statistics...
of course a person can win a $300M powerball but mostlikely they wont.
of course a person can spend all their life riding without an incident but most likely they wont.... i am going to poll this up...(but i think i may have done it before)...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
You can jump off the back of mine on the highway if you want? You'll get the full effect without having to repair the bike. I don't *envy* that experience at all, and I pray that I never have to understand it from a personal perspective.
i think it provides "survival" training like no other experience could..
Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Can I do so as well after he jumps off???

I don't envy it either. I'd rather avoid the situation and learn from it by doing just that...avoiding it.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #19
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
of course a person can spend all their life riding without an incident but most likely they wont.... i am going to poll this up...(but i think i may have done it before)...
Do some research, then report back. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Can I do so as well after he jumps off???

I don't envy it either. I'd rather avoid the situation and learn from it by doing just that...avoiding it.
oh just shud up you two, i tried to console the guy and come up with somethign positive.... you know you two are being very hiv negative right now!

Advertisement