MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
HARD DRIVE CRASH HELP!

Alright guys well I went to power up my pc and it was on for a little while and my screen suddenly blanked out and when I rebooted my hard drive was not detected by my pc.* I changed it to another pc I have and nothing.* *

I know some about computers but i've neve had to deal with something like this and I need help!* what could be the cause and how in the world coudl I get some of my things back?* *I have pictures that are irreplaceable and some files and documents I neeeed for school! please help me out and let me know what I can do about this.* I knoe to get it professionally done it goes for about $500 and up and I really don't have the money for that right now.* So any clever ideas or anyone with any experience on this issue I would appreciate your replies.* *:eh:

thanks!
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard Drive data retrieval Stromtrooper Off Topic 25 08-23-2011 02:34 PM
Always back up your hard drive. eltejano Off Topic 20 01-12-2011 06:31 PM
External Hard drive........need help LunchBox Off Topic 8 12-22-2008 07:43 PM
hard drive recovery RACER X Off Topic 25 02-18-2006 12:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
cytukyl

Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)

Member Garage

Re: HARD DRIVE CRASH HELP!

if u got another pc, hook up both HD to it and when it reboots go to "my computer" and see if the HD is detected, hopefully that can help, how old is the comp if its really old the HD might of fried
EITHER.

cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:59 AM   #3
ImG

Send a message via AIM to ImG

hmm best i can say is when you tried to use the harddrive as a "slave" on the other computer, did you have the correct jumpers position on the harddrives? pretty sure you did this, but i am just throwing it out there.
ImG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
ZeE$hi

Send a message via MSN to ZeE$hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Alright guys well I went to power up my pc and it was on for a little while and my screen suddenly blanked out and when I rebooted my hard drive was not detected by my pc.* I changed it to another pc I have and nothing.* *

I know some about computers but i've neve had to deal with something like this and I need help!* what could be the cause and how in the world coudl I get some of my things back?* *I have pictures that are irreplaceable and some files and documents I neeeed for school! please help me out and let me know what I can do about this.* I knoe to get it professionally done it goes for about $500 and up and I really don't have the money for that right now.* So any clever ideas or anyone with any experience on this issue I would appreciate your replies.* *:eh:

thanks!
Your hard disk is most probably fried. And even you get it to work, most of the sectors in it would have been destroyed. Basically you will get a lot of errors of bad sectors. So your best bet would be to start collecting or doing your home work again

Sorry :eh:
ZeE$hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
PORSCHITO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeE$hi
Quote:

thanks!
Your hard disk is most probably fried. And even you get it to work, most of the sectors in it would have been destroyed.* Basically you will get a lot of errors of bad sectors. So your best bet would be to start collecting or doing your home work again

Sorry* :eh:
i didnt want to say it but thats what i was thinking too.... i lost many projects due to the same problem....
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I have some software that you can try if you need to. It will recover what it can from the sectors that are accessible. Also, I have seen the arm in the drive freeze up. A firm tap on a surface can free it up and allow you to get your data off. If it is work projects that have some value to the company there are places you can send it that can recover the data but they are not cheap. right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytukyl
if u got another pc, hook up both HD to it and when it reboots go to "my computer" and see if the HD is detected, hopefully that can help, how old is the comp if its really old the HD might of fried
Yep I have already done this and nothing.* the pc is old but the hard drive is relatively new. Maybe a few yrs. I have other HDDs that are older and still run.

and Im thinkin its fried too but I just need to get some files from there for school if all possible and maybe some pictures I had on there that aren't replaceable. as for the rest it can burn for all I care.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 09-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I have some software that you can try if you need to. It will recover what it can from the sectors that are accessible. Also, I have seen the arm in the drive freeze up. A firm tap on a surface can free it up and allow you to get your data off. If it is work projects that have some value to the company there are places you can send it that can recover the data but they are not cheap.* right:
I downloaded some recovery software but the HDD wasn't found by the software.* It could be cheap software that doesn't work that well.

I will try to tap it if not I will open it up and take a look to see if I see anything internal out of place.* I wouldn't mind trying that software you have to see if maybe I can get something from it.* If you think it's worth tryin it.* *

From what I have already tested I am thinking that the HDD itself is fine but what fried is the electrical part of the HDD that powers it up. But I wouln't have a clue what to do about that :dontknow: .. I'm not 100% sure that's the problem, but I'm just making an educated guess.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
ZeE$hi

Send a message via MSN to ZeE$hi

To my knowledge, Hard disks is a disk coated with magnetic iron oxide particles. The electrical system is the thing which moves the heads and the cylinders. If a hard disk doesn't power up, basically it is fried. The only other way is to change the circuit board in the hard, or take your old cyclinders and place it in a new one. And both these things aren't easy and plus professionally it is going to cost to easily around 500 - 1000 dollars. Depends on people and how bad the data sector is.

Plus when a hard disk loses complete power to its circuits, it de-magnetices itself. Which means that it formats itself into a empty hard disk. So either way i think it is gone.

So my friend, again Sorry !!
ZeE$hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #10
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey

I would avoid opening it if you can. You need a static clean room, which no one has except the experts.

maybe just take it to a computer place like best buy or even better one of those independent computer stores(shorter wait) you'll pay a little to find out if it's a lost cause or not.

BTW, what kind of HD was it?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #11
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
I knoe to get it professionally done it goes for about $500 and up and I really don't have the money for that right now.
uh... make that $1800 - depending on the size of the hard drive and the amount of data recovered (corrupt or not)...

pm me if you don't figure it out...
Old 09-27-2005, 08:13 PM   #12
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenway Smokey
I would avoid opening it if you can.* You need a static clean room, which no one has except the experts.

maybe just take it to a computer place like best buy or even better one of those independent computer stores(shorter wait)* you'll pay a little to find out if it's a lost cause or not.

BTW, what kind of HD was it?
western digital wd600 60gb hdd
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46

Advertisement