MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #21
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Sorry guys, but speeding does play a godo p[art in the accidents we see here in houston... typicaly coupled with a failure to maintain any kind of reasonable distance between the car ahread of them.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Time Lapse - Driving through Florida 6 Hours in 6 Minutes hughes40 Off Topic 7 02-17-2009 10:13 PM
2 Border Patrol agents face 20 years in Prison CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 138 02-16-2007 07:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #22
JSki

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
if speeding was about safety then an 8 lane divided freeway wouldn't have a speed limit of 60... like it does right here in houston
It has that speed limit because of emissions, not safety.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #23
jeswin

Bike(s):
'05 Yamaha R6

what is so liberal or communist about having strict laws when it comes to safety especially of law abiding citizens? I guess I don't get that...

nobody is stopping you from buying a 'busa or a monster chopper with ridiculous displacement and power... we're free to buy whatever we want/like.... however... the price you pay for risking your own life and that of others (by speedin 30 over) has just gone up a notch or two... the judgement of risk vs. reward is still upto the individual

How many times have read stories in our forum alone of cagers or motorcyclists for that matter riding irrationally w/o insurance and gotten away scot-free???... chances are people who drive w/out insurance don't care enough about themselves (and definitely others) and drive any which way they want... sorry... that is one of my biggest pet-peeves... had to rant about that!

I'm not arguing that people have to go to jail for speeding.... that is one option... however... making the rules more strict and vigilantly enforcing 'em... that is just not an option in my books... given the traffic and the amount of accidents we hear about... it is a long overdue necessity
jeswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #24
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Sorry guys, but speeding does play a godo p[art in the accidents we see here in houston... typicaly coupled with a failure to maintain any kind of reasonable distance between the car ahread of them.
i agree with traffic enforcement during high traffic times. however pulling vehicles over in rush hour just creates more traffic. just ask brett and mala
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #25
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSki View Post
It has that speed limit because of emissions, not safety.
so they pull you over so traffic can back up 3miles cause ever nosey ****er is stopping to stare? that helps the environment
Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #26
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

I think it's funny how people think that the speed limits around here are set for "safety" purposes anymore. Don't all of you remember what happened in the last 5-10 years with the tree huggers? The freaking 's that lowered the speed limit to 55 on Interstates across the country because it "produced less emissions" when people were travelling at these speeds? Anyone remember this?

Oh wait, that couldn't have been it, they were just looking out for our safety..... I say raise the speed limits back up to 70-75 and then worry about if someone does 30 over, but right now I think it's gay, especially to receive jail time for it.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #27
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

That's not the fault of the police, that's a fault/problem with all the retards on the road.

Quote:
I think it's funny how people think that the speed limits around here are set for "safety" purposes anymore. Don't all of you remember what happened in the last 5-10 years with the tree huggers? The freaking 's that lowered the speed limit to 55 on Interstates across the country because it "produced less emissions" when people were travelling at these speeds? Anyone remember this?
You want to state that all the speeds limits are for is just 'money'? :-)
Do you really think 50-60mph is a reasonable speed through a neighborhood? That the set speed there is NOT about safety?

Last edited by Ulric; 03-19-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #28
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

The thing about enforcement of speed laws that irks me is that tickets are written under the pretense that the goal in writing them is to make the roads safer - when I believe that revenue generation is really what the courts are after.

Every Friday afternoon you can drive north on Shepherd, past I-10 and over the bridge on the bayou.

At the bottom of the bridge there will be, like clockwork, two HPD cruisers and two or three officers doinf speeding interdiction. They radar vehicles coming over the hill and then walk out into the street to pull over speeders and write them a ticket.

You can see these guys every Friday afternoon from about 4:00 until about 6:00. I mean, without fail you're going to see them there. On Fridays when I come over the bridge I know to stick to 35 on the dot.

--Unless it's raining.

When it's raining there are never any cruisers there, no cops writing speeding tickets.

I imagine that just like me, the officers don't want to stand around in the rain getting wet.

But all that this says to me is that they're out there writing tickets to generate revenue, or meet their monthly quotas.

If they were truly interested in stopping speeders on Shepherd and making it a safer street it seems to me that they'd be out there rain or shine.

The fact that they only do it when it's convenient or comfortable speaks volumes about their dedication to "safety."

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #29
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

WAH WAH WAH
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #31
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
The thing about enforcement of speed laws that irks me is that tickets are written under the pretense that the goal in writing them is to make the roads safer - when I believe that revenue generation is really what the courts are after.

Every Friday afternoon you can drive north on Shepherd, past I-10 and over the bridge on the bayou.

At the bottom of the bridge there will be, like clockwork, two HPD cruisers and two or three officers doinf speeding interdiction. They radar vehicles coming over the hill and then walk out into the street to pull over speeders and write them a ticket.

You can see these guys every Friday afternoon from about 4:00 until about 6:00. I mean, without fail you're going to see them there. On Fridays when I come over the bridge I know to stick to 35 on the dot.

--Unless it's raining.

When it's raining there are never any cruisers there, no cops writing speeding tickets.

I imagine that just like me, the officers don't want to stand around in the rain getting wet.

But all that this says to me is that they're out there writing tickets to generate revenue, or meet their monthly quotas.

If they were truly interested in stopping speeders on Shepherd and making it a safer street it seems to me that they'd be out there rain or shine.

The fact that they only do it when it's convenient or comfortable speaks volumes about their dedication to "safety."
good example
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #32
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

:-) What's the issue/topic here? Laws in regards to safe driving and speed or a whine about the various quality levels of 'enforcement' done by officers themselves?

Police do NOT make the laws, they enforce them (yes to varying degrees).
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #33
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

i love that guys post on that link. "i got some great news though...i just save alot of money on my insurance by running from the police"
Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #34
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
That's not the fault of the police, that's a fault/problem with all the retards on the road.

You want to state that all the speeds limits are for is just 'money'? :-)
Do you really think 50-60mph is a reasonable speed through a neighborhood? That the set speed there is NOT about safety?
I didn't say the speeds were set for monetary gain. What I was referring to was when the EPA said that we needed to set our speed limits at 55 on the highways for emissions purposes because of blah blah blah THE WORLD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #35
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
:-) What's the issue/topic here? Laws in regards to safe driving and speed or a whine about the various quality levels of 'enforcement' done by officers themselves?

Police do NOT make the laws, they enforce them (yes to varying degrees).
laws in regard to speed is the topic, we are just discussing how retarded some of those are
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #36
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #37
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

So back on topic, 5-10 years in jail for 30 over on the highway is gay. I could understand probation, license suspension, or HEFTY fines, but that long in jail? Please...

They don't even give that kind of treatment to illegals for no license, no insurance, and no comprende!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #38
txgsxrbob
THE SH*T STARTER IS BACK

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1K SOLD !
2012 R1 Moto GP replica # 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
WAH WAH WAH
Why don't you get a job as a Security Officer
so you can have a uniform & Keep pretending to be a Police Officer ...since you never made it to the academy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
NOW WHERE IS TXGSXRBOB WHEN WE NEED HIM????
txgsxrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #39
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #40
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSki View Post

They don't even give that kind of treatment to illegals for no license, no insurance, and no comprende!
we should hang them when they say no comprende!!!!
dirty ****ers

Advertisement