MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Tire Warmers/ Generator Questions

I noticed that just about everybody is using tire warmers. My track bike has BT090 and I plan on using them until it is time to change them. I was planning on setting up for BT002 tires after that.

1. What is a good size generator and what brands (generator) for tire warmers and maybe a radio and fan? Note that people barrow power for warmers.
2. Do you mount the tire warmers after each session to keep them warm all day?
3. I saw several brands of warmers so I assume there are preferences. Is the idea getting the tire up to temp and turing them off or are these thermostat controlled?

Thanks,
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
Tire warmers Racerxxx Taking it to the Track 20 01-26-2013 10:30 PM
Tire Warmers YZFracer212 Taking it to the Track 8 09-26-2008 09:19 AM
Tire warmers Hooligan General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 08-11-2008 04:52 PM
tire warmers arturo3rd General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 04-18-2006 11:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Honda generators all the way!!!

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
I noticed that just about everybody is using tire warmers. My track bike has BT090 and I plan on using them until it is time to change them. I was planning on setting up for BT002 tires after that.

1. What is a good size generator and what brands (generator) for tire warmers and maybe a radio and fan? Note that people barrow power for warmers.
2. Do you mount the tire warmers after each session to keep them warm all day?
3. I saw several brands of warmers so I assume there are preferences. Is the idea getting the tire up to temp and turing them off or are these thermostat controlled?

Thanks,
1. Someone else can chime about generators, but this depends on which track you ride at also. Some tracks have power outlets for you to use, some don't.

2. Yes you want to mount the warmers after every session. I don't always turn them on right away , depending on the ambient and track temps, because they can get too hot and greasy. But the goal is to keep them warm all day so they don't heat cycle, which shortens the life of the tire, and cold race tires make it hairy going into T1

3. Lots of brands to choose from. I use Suzuka and they work great for me. Chicken Hawk is a great brand as well. But less expensive brands like TyreSox, DMP, and others have happy customers as well. Buy what you can afford, but if you decide to run race tires, at least buy something!
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...elName=eu2000i

Check this little bad boy out.

See ya @ the track!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
This geny is only rated at 2000W @ 120VAC. I was thinking that I would need something in the 3-5K @ 120VAC for everything.
are you guys only using 2000W genys?
I guess I need to find the wattage for the the different brands of warmers.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Yep, your right. The eu3000i was the one I was supposed to click.
Sorry, but that's the right direction.
The 2000 will work, but it'll work it's off.

See ya @ the track!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Looks like the Suzuka warmers are rated at 1000W @ 120 VAC with a set temperature of 170F. It is would take everything a 2000W gereator had to maintain a that temp along with a radio and maybe a fan to stay cool at tracks without power.
The 3000W gens look like the minimum size.

Thanks for the info on using the warmers.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
didn't you buy a sv650 trackbike? if so, the bt002 aren't available for the sv's tire specs. (might wanna pm kawi jm to make sure)

as for tire warmers....if you buy race tires, buy tire warmers, and keep them on there throughout the day when your not riding it......when you take them off, make sure you UNPLUG THEM.....or you'll have $300 down the drain.

on the generators.......a honda 2000w generator will be fine to run warmers, fan, and radio. if you were using a 3500w harbor freight brand generator, it would be pushing it, because some brands don't put out as much as they advertise.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
when you take them off, make sure you UNPLUG THEM.....or you'll have $300 down the drain.
That's a great point I forgot to mention. I've seen people at the track with tire warmers literally smoking while they're out riding because they forgot to unplug them and just bundled them up and left them on the ground.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
didn't you buy a sv650 trackbike? if so, the bt002 aren't available for the sv's tire specs. (might wanna pm kawi jm to make sure)

as for tire warmers....if you buy race tires, buy tire warmers, and keep them on there throughout the day when your not riding it......when you take them off, make sure you UNPLUG THEM.....or you'll have $300 down the drain.

on the generators.......a honda 2000w generator will be fine to run warmers, fan, and radio. if you were using a 3500w harbor freight brand generator, it would be pushing it, because some brands don't put out as much as they advertise.
I bought the bike and am working on setting it up now. I met Kawi Jim but didn't know that the BT002 tires didn't come on that size. I might just stick with the BT090. Thanks for that...
I plan on getting out there in May or June once I have collected everything that I need. I corner worked GSS with LSTD yesterday and had a blast. I made a list of the items that I saw people had and I am gathering info on those items now to see what I need.
I didn't know about unpluging them. I will have to make a note on that as well.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
NOsquid

You can run an 002 front and 090 rear. I would just get the 250 slicks for your SV.

I will go against the grain and say that for track days, tire warmers shouldn't be too high on your priority list. Good tires that aren't too worn, the best riding gear, top notch suspension--this is where the $$ should always go IMO. A warm-up lap is a good thing anyway, I'll never understand people who want to go out into the first turn of a track they haven't seen for 40min. Who knows what's waiting for you. Racers actually get...a warm up lap. lol

If I were racing, or if I lived farther north, I would look into tire warmers more seriously. But tires get grippy fast, and some people race w/o them.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

With so many dates @ GSS this year (and no electric there), I was thinking of getting the 'lil Honda EU2000i... will this be enough to power warmers??? What about two sets of warmers???
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
With so many dates @ GSS this year (and no electric there), I was thinking of getting the 'lil Honda EU2000i... will this be enough to power warmers??? What about two sets of warmers???
From what I understand, the 3000 will be best for the warmers. Especially if you choose to run two sets.

See ya @ the track!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
one time when I was at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the guy I was next to was running the EU2000i with 1 set of warmers and 2 fans. One fan being mine. So I figured that was enough power. Plus most warmers use 1000-1100 watts and the woodcraft brand advertises 800 watts. Fans don't take that much power to run. As for 2 tire warmers yeah you'll need the eu3000i for that one. Either way those generators sure are expensive. I guess the faster you get the more it cost
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid View Post
You can run an 002 front and 090 rear. I would just get the 250 slicks for your SV.

I will go against the grain and say that for track days, tire warmers shouldn't be too high on your priority list. Good tires that aren't too worn, the best riding gear, top notch suspension--this is where the $$ should always go IMO. A warm-up lap is a good thing anyway, I'll never understand people who want to go out into the first turn of a track they haven't seen for 40min. Who knows what's waiting for you. Racers actually get...a warm up lap. lol

If I were racing, or if I lived farther north, I would look into tire warmers more seriously. But tires get grippy fast, and some people race w/o them.
My bike came with everything set up by the previous owner so there isn't anything to invest in there. It has race skins that needed painted and I will take care of that in April.
I am now getting all of the other stuff that isn't bike and gear related out of the way. Stands, tire warmers, EZ Ups, etc.

I love the technical track at GSS so that is the one that I want to get set up to run at.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
give me a holler when you're ready for some new paint.....i'll give you a nice deal!

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
one time when I was at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the guy I was next to was running the EU2000i with 1 set of warmers and 2 fans. One fan being mine. So I figured that was enough power. Plus most warmers use 1000-1100 watts and the woodcraft brand advertises 800 watts. Fans don't take that much power to run. As for 2 tire warmers yeah you'll need the eu3000i for that one. Either way those generators sure are expensive. I guess the faster you get the more it cost
Thanks for the info... I guess I oughta get one big enough for a friend to use, too.

Having warmers is SOOOOO nice, its worth the money...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Each pair of warmers takes 1000 watts. A 2000 watt is to small to run 2 sets of warmers. I have a 2000 watt for sale for $200.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #19
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Thanks for the info... I guess I oughta get one big enough for a friend to use, too.

Having warmers is SOOOOO nice, its worth the money...
Yeah! We will share our easy -up if you let us share your generator for our warmers! And if your nice I might even being you an umbrella girl! Ha ha ha!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
give me a holler when you're ready for some new paint.....i'll give you a nice deal!
Tom beat you to it. Let's say that if I don't change my mind, you will recognize the neon yellow when you see.

Advertisement