MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
because your head was already too full of it?:dontknow:
nope... nuthin but bong smoke up there
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Godzuki Grimace Off Topic 27 10-10-2009 10:34 PM
Godzuki loses his temper navigator Off Topic 29 11-26-2008 12:05 PM
Godzuki? mathews General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-21-2007 11:21 PM
Godzuki wtf? BigComfy Off Topic 2 06-04-2007 09:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
nope... nuthin but bong smoke up there

Will that make me faster?
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #23
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Will that make me faster?
works for me
Old 03-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #24
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid View Post
I think people tend to overanalyze crashes Basically your tire slid and you weren't able to feel it in time to back off. It happens.
Interesting. That could be the case with my crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post

There are things you know that is your mistakes then there are crashes that everyone can only speculate.

Quote:
works for me
PM me more info

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #25
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
frickin bricks ! tore me a new one
you need to lean in a bit over but not quite off the seat and less throttle of pushing it. Hope that helps.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #26
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

As a newb, i was enjoying riding with some guys this weekend, but never had understood shifting weight and leaning into the curve, slightly off the seat to the side...

I would appreciate someone helping my mind understand the physics of why it helps lower the cg or explantion of why hanging slightly off the side helps with leaving the bike more upright while still getting a good turn radius. Some help for the newb please. This really interests me. When on the street carving up back roads (not to the point of squid like dragging knee on a the street), but leaning into it, do you slightly hang your body eight off the bike a little, and do you let your knee out a little... or do you just hold tight and squeez the tank with the leg... (i'm not wanting to look like a wannabee knee dragger) Proper position?
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #27
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonhull View Post
As a newb, i was enjoying riding with some guys this weekend, but never had understood shifting weight and leaning into the curve, slightly off the seat to the side...

I would appreciate someone helping my mind understand the physics of why it helps lower the cg or explantion of why hanging slightly off the side helps with leaving the bike more upright while still getting a good turn radius. Some help for the newb please. This really interests me. When on the street carving up back roads (not to the point of squid like dragging knee on a the street), but leaning into it, do you slightly hang your body eight off the bike a little, and do you let your knee out a little... or do you just hold tight and squeez the tank with the leg... (i'm not wanting to look like a wannabee knee dragger) Proper position?
Come to our Texas Track Days event next weekend at Grand Sport Speedway and you can learn for yourself in my Novice class It will be teh best $140 you'll ever spend riding!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #28
level5
moving chicane

Quote:

next time when you are out riding, try get off the bike you will see by leaning over the side of the bike, you are turning even if the bike is straight up. That is why they encourage riders to lean in more to get the bike upright to have better contact patches.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
I would appreciate someone helping my mind understand the physics of why it helps lower the cg or explantion of why hanging slightly off the side helps with leaving the bike more upright while still getting a good turn radius.
First, understand that not all racers actually get off the seat as most people try to teach. A LOT of racers do, but not all, it all depends on what works for you. When I'm riding a hard pace at the track, I tend to get off the seat pretty well, about "1 cheek" I would guess "Getting off the seat" lowers the cg of the bike in the corner because in a lean, the cg "changes" basically because the upper weight of the bike is now lower to the ground along with the lower weight of the bike. By bringing your off the seat and toward the ground, you're bringing the cg down with you. Again, not all racers do this, and there is no perfect riding position- it all depends on your comfort level and how you ride. I know plenty of racers who never touch a knee to the pavement, and some that never have and are some of the fastest racers out there. Heck, Ronnie Lundsford, one of the fastest guys I know, especially when he was a bit younger (but still waaaaay faster than me now!) doesn't look like he moves on the seat at all!

One of the biggest points about cornering is looking through the turn and turning your shoulders in to the turn. This alone can make a huuuuuge difference in your cornering ability!
Quote:
When on the street carving up back roads, but leaning into it, do you slightly hang your body eight off the bike a little, and do you let your knee out a little... or do you just hold tight and squeez the tank with the leg... Proper position?
Again, for "proper position", it all depends on your school of thought for riding style and what works for you. Through instruction and seat time, you'll start to figure it out. If you got in to racing, you'd learn even more.

Personally, I get a bit off the seat (depending on the corner, it's a dynamic thing), turn my shoulders in to the turn, look waaaaay through the corner, weight the inside peg as I come to the apex and then start weighting the outside peg as I roll on the throttle out of the corner. Again, it's dynamic (ever-changing) and depends on the track and corner, speed, traffic, etc.

I'd love to see you come out and sign up for a beginner level ("noob") group track day, our highly experienced racing staff will get you through your first day in fine fashion. We have a very well developed curriculum and have honed it for the past 8 years with our very well experienced staff! Our next track day is this Friday in Cresson- check www.lstd.com for all the 411
Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #30
jodyhudson

Quote:
Come to our Texas Track Days event next weekend at Grand Sport Speedway and you can learn for yourself in my Novice class It will be teh best $140 you'll ever spend riding!
is there any thread that you dont find a way to pimp TTD... geeezus !
Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #31
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

One analogy my simple mind grasps (that may be realistic or simplistic, who knows) is if you have a string and attach a weight to it, then swing it around in a circle- the weight will go around that circle at a faster pace (as the circumference is smaller, and the weight gets closer to the "center"). Similarly, if you move your body weight off the bike, the additional mass on the "inside" will increase the speed of the bike going around the circle.

I have no idea if that makes sense, but it works for my simple mind!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #32
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
I'd love to, but financially i can't afford that, plus rental, i have have a leather aplinestars jacket, but no leather pants, and no racing boots, only aslpine stars street boots....

I want to desperately, but again, i really can't afford it regretabbly. Someday!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #33
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
is there any thread that you dont find a way to pimp TTD... geeezus !
speaking of that...

come out to Longhorn Motorcycle School's next noob day, for the best and informative time of your life! email slowboattx@yahoo.com to sign up!

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #34
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
speaking of that...

come out to Longhorn Motorcycle School's next noob day, for the best and informative time of your life! email slowboattx@yahoo.com to sign up!
good one Tony ! hows that 1000RR treatin ya ?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #35
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
good one Tony ! hows that 1000RR treatin ya ?
Bang! Zoom!

Jody don't pull no punches... brutal!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #36
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Bang! Zoom!

Jody don't pull no punches... brutal!
HOP knows i jus be playin...
Old 03-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #37
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
I'd love to, but financially i can't afford that, plus rental, i have have a leather aplinestars jacket, but no leather pants, and no racing boots, only aslpine stars street boots....

I want to desperately, but again, i really can't afford it regretabbly. Someday!

you don't need racing boots, as long as you have boots that is higher than your ankle should be fine. So, you are only short in pants and corner working should pay for the trackday itself. You get to watch and learn what others are doing and save money. Sell the trackday credit and get you the pants and more corner work to ride. No excuses if you wanna go but if you are scared of wrecking out and hurting yourself, we understand. Better to learn and wreck on the track than on the street.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #38
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
you don't need racing boots, as long as you have boots that is higher than your ankle should be fine. So, you are only short in pants and corner working should pay for the trackday itself. You get to watch and learn what others are doing and save money. Sell the trackday credit and get you the pants and more corner work to ride. No excuses if you wanna go but if you are scared of wrecking out and hurting yourself, we understand. Better to learn and wreck on the track than on the street.
+1, good post there.

Not to mention, there's usually someone that's selling used gear for cheap.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #39
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

! we just whored this thread up with spam!
i think every organization except ridesmart got in on this one! hahaha!

good explanation Tom!

Sorry Jody, but gotta promote TTD! Didnt realize I was getting as bad as Tom! haha j/kTom!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #40
jodyhudson

Quote:
! we just whored this thread up with spam!
i think every organization except ridesmart got in on this one! hahaha!

good explanation Tom!

Sorry Jody, but gotta promote TTD! Didnt realize I was getting as bad as Tom! haha j/kTom!
we should just rename the thread TRACKDAY PIMPS & HO'S