MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Understanding my lowside. Godzuki?

I had a lowside between turns 17 & 16 @ MSRH. This involved a lot of 1st's for me. 1st time on this track, 1st time on this bike (SV-650), 1st time on new Pilot Power 2CT's, 1st ever lowside.

Immediately afterwards Tim said "if you had gotten off the side of the bike just a little more you could have made that corner". I'm fine with that, cuz I know I need to work on body position. But what else is involved? Pace was about 2:02.

On my Daytona, I have taken the horseshoe @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) pushing harder and hanging off less with better results. That was last summer, dry and hot. Tires were Pirelli Demon Super Corsa (OEM stock).

Do I have less lean to work with due to the narrower rear tire on the SV? I wouldn't think so after seeing the lean angles reached on 250 cc bikes with less tire width. I didn't drag anything. Was I too wide on the corner? Track conditions? I was using steady throttle at that point, no brakes, and I honestly can't remember if I made a midcorner adjustment or not. Maybe Tim knows.

I'm quite sure I'll make other mistakes but I want to fully understand this one so that I don't repeat it.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Godzuki Grimace Off Topic 27 10-10-2009 10:34 PM
Godzuki loses his temper navigator Off Topic 29 11-26-2008 12:05 PM
Godzuki? mathews General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-21-2007 11:21 PM
Godzuki wtf? BigComfy Off Topic 2 06-04-2007 09:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
lowsides are generally caused by front tires gettin tucked

when going through a turn, the transferable weight of the bike should be even....which means when you are at full lean, you want to give it a little gas to keep some of the weight on the rear wheel, otherwise the engine braking puts most of the load onto the front of the bike and can cause the front tire to push out. body position also plays a role in all of that, if your upper body is weighting down the front, while your is hangin off (called being crossed up), that also puts unnecessary load onto the front of the bike and can cause the front tire to slide out from under you.

hope that made sense.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
if your upper body is weighting down the front, while your is hangin off (called being crossed up), that also puts unnecessary load onto the front of the bike and can cause the front tire to slide out from under you.

hope that made sense.
That's interesting ... I found myselft way up on the seat a lot ... should I try to sit further back on the seat?

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

how many laps had you done in that session when you went down?

^ Logan, alot of it is just personnal style, yes you load the ft up, doesn't nec. mean it's bad as long as you know what your doing.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I just happened to see the low side from the pit area, I was hanging out by the Motorcycles Unlimited trailer at the time. It did look like the back let go first.

I breezed through your post kinda quick. Is your suspension set up for you? What were your tire pressures? How old is the rear shock?

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
how many laps had you done in that session when you went down?

^ Logan, alot of it is just personnal style, yes you load the ft up, doesn't nec. mean it's bad as long as you know what your doing.

probably 2/3 thru the session. 1st session after lunch.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

You entered turn 17 a bit on the wide side. As you were drifting out, you were over correcting, and leaning much farther. If you had been off of the bike more, as opposed to being directly in line with the bike, while almost skimming your pegs, (yes you were leaned that far) your bike would have been more upright, and you could have easily made that corner by applying more lean angle. As it was, you basically just over ran your edges.

So, recap sequence of events:
pace was great.
Entry speed was fine
Turn in was late
Body position was way off
Applied more lean when you were already on your tire’s edges
Ran out of tire
Perfect slide
Awesome expression on your face!

You didn’t get on the apron before you lost the front, and you were still on the racing line, but by having your body off of the bike, you can carry more speed for a given radius with less lean angle.

Does this help?
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
I just happened to see the low side from the pit area, I was hanging out by the Motorcycles Unlimited trailer at the time. It did look like the back let go first.

I breezed through your post kinda quick. Is your suspension set up for you? What were your tire pressures? How old is the rear shock?
Suspension set up by Motorcycles Unlimited. Ohlins rear shock (unknown age) checked out by Motorcycles Unlimited. Patrick had just gone thru the bike, so I'm fairly certain that all was in good working order. Tire pressures cold 30 rear 28 front. Hot pressures 34/33.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

lol, wow you were cranked over if you were about to touch the pegs down, and i;m assuming that bike has aftermarket rearsets that are "higher" then factory

yes the SV loves to lean

so how was the bike?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
You entered turn 17 a bit on the wide side. As you were drifting out, you were over correcting, and leaning much farther. If you had been off of the bike more, as opposed to being directly in line with the bike, while almost skimming your pegs, (yes you were leaned that far) your bike would have been more upright, and you could have easily made that corner by applying more lean angle. As it was, you basically just over ran your edges.

So, recap sequence of events:
pace was great.
Entry speed was fine
Turn in was late
Body position was way off
Applied more lean when you were already on your tire’s edges
Ran out of tire
Perfect slide
Awesome expression on your face!

You didn’t get on the apron before you lost the front, and you were still on the racing line, but by having your body off of the bike, you can carry more speed for a given radius with less lean angle.

Does this help?
Thanks !!! I should have taken the time Sunday to go over that with you but I was a little wound up at the time and just wanted to get back on the track before I had too much time to dwell on it. Spent yesterday thinking about it and thought I remembered the rear going 1st but wasn't sure. I didn't realize I was that far over with my lean. I need to get that knee out there and use it as a lean gauge.

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks again and thanks for a great time Sunday!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Thanks !!! I should have taken the time Sunday to go over that with you but I was a little wound up at the time and just wanted to get back on the track before I had too much time to dwell on it. Spent yesterday thinking about it and thought I remembered the rear going 1st but wasn't sure. I didn't realize I was that far over with my lean. I need to get that knee out there and use it as a lean gauge.

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks again and thanks for a great time Sunday!
not a problem Carl! You remember your rear going first because you slid first into the gravel!

Are you coming out to GSS next weekend? Only $140, and we're renting the extra large tents to provide a covered paddock area for the riders!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
lol, wow you were cranked over if you were about to touch the pegs down, and i;m assuming that bike has aftermarket rearsets that are "higher" then factory

yes the SV loves to lean

so how was the bike?
All in all, I was really impressed with the SV. Especially, after going down and only having to readjust one clipon before getting back on the track.

It feels bigger and wider than the Daytona and has a completely different power band. It definitely required some getting used to. Also, no tach or speedo for reference so I was riding by the seat of my pants. I just need more time on it to get used to the feel.

Vortex rearsets.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I saw the bike after the wreck, it crashed with hardly a scratch. I think the tail, clip-on, and upper had some light rash. The clip on was rotated back but not bent, just needed to be loosened and re-positioned.

Bike looked good! Sounds like Navigator learned a lot from this crash and got away with relatively low damage.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

I take a lot of pictures at the cmra events and one thing that I have noted about when someone with a yellow number plate lowsides. There is a much greater likely hood that they had a finger covering there brake then the ones that did not lowside. If they have a white plate they were just going beyond the bikes limits or got screwed up in traffic.

In short I take my finger away from the brake as the bike is leaned.

this may or may not be relevant to your case.

I always say if you can't learn something from your crash why bother crashing.:/:
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
NOsquid

I think people tend to overanalyze crashes Basically your tire slid and you weren't able to feel it in time to back off. It happens. With experience you will get better feel, but everyone runs out of talent sometime. Wouldn't worry about body position personally.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #16
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid View Post
I think people tend to overanalyze crashes Basically your tire slid and you weren't able to feel it in time to back off. It happens. With experience you will get better feel, but everyone runs out of talent sometime. Wouldn't worry about body position personally.

There are things you know that is your mistakes then there are crashes that everyone can only speculate.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
i just took a big ... can anyone explain why that happened
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
level5
moving chicane