Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
AhmadHasib
Turkey Sammich: Mmmm Good

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Two questions Regarding my Bike (Oil Light and Transmission)

Oil Light: When the engine is off but ignition is in On Position, I notice the Oil Light is on. This turns off as soon as I start the bike and the engine starts running. It doesn't ever come on when I'm riding. It turns back on then I turn the engine off. Anything for me to be worried about? The oil level looks good.

Transmission: Sometimes when I am cruising in 6th gear and I am approaching a stop sign/red light, I would begin to down shift. What I personally do is wait till the RPMs in 6th gear get to about 2,000, I would clutch in and begin to down shift into 1st gear while braking. sometimes, it doesnt want to down shift.. it seems to be stuck. When I come to a complete stop, I slow start releasing the clutch. It kind of "pops" the transmission back into place and allows me to begin down shifting to first gear. Sometimes it happens when I am in 3rd or 4th gear at a stop and I need to go to 1st. It wont further down shift/up shift until I slightly release the clutch to let the transmission "pop" back into place. Then it allows me to shift from there. (only happens sometime.. once every 2-3 days)

Anything I should be worried about with the two?
Oil questions - Time for an oil change bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-09-2014 08:32 PM
noob oil questions wlgorman General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 09-27-2007 07:59 AM
Need Help with oil light!!!!!!! pimpcain How To's and Q & A's 15 09-06-2005 03:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

No prob with the oil light. Thats normal, cages do it too.
The transmission shifts a lot easier when the bike is rolling and engine is at the correct rpm range for the gear. Should be a list in owner's manual. When stopped and it wont shift, no need to pop the clutch, just roll the bike back and fourth a little while trying to shift at the same time. You'll feel the gears line up and the down shift will be made when everything does line up.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
Chino
We need Emotional Content

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
R6's

I'd suggest not to wait till RPMs are low, instead earlier down shift will help to stop sooner using engine breaking, plus what Mate said about the RPM range for gear. Get used to it as you will need it as your need for speed progresses.
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
With all the mechanical threads u been posting lately, my advice is .........

GET A SUZUKI, IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

when D/S match the gears to the speed your going, don't wait to be stopped and shifting down.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

and research how to "blip" the throttle to help match the RPM and unload the gears...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
AhmadHasib
Turkey Sammich: Mmmm Good

Experience: 1 year

thanks guys
Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
D-Mo

Bike(s):
'06 FZ6

Even if you decide to downshift all at once when the revs are down let the clutch out and blip the throttle between each shift to keep everything engaged and synched up. Its really not the best way to do it and it takes for ever time and distance wise(don't do this in traffic), about the only good side to it is it will help you develop the habit of blipping and will give you a good feel for the proper gear at a given road/engine speed, so that when you start braking harder and stopping shorter (which is really, really easy on sport bikes) you don't panic and fudge the control inputs and end up stalling or lurching into the back of someones car.

Last edited by D-Mo; 03-17-2008 at 10:06 PM.
D-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement