MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Tire Suggestions?

Just completed my first trackday on Saturday at MSRH and I am leaning more and more towards selling off my street parts and going to track only. I will have a few more trackdays before I commit to it however.

Learning from yesterday I know I can improve my body positioning in a number of turns to help out, but I did feel the tires slipping around on a few of the turns and into the the launch. This did improve a lot after adjusting the forks to get rid of some bad bobbles, but some slipping was still there in the diamonds edge etc.

Looking towards getting new tires when my Pilot Powers are finished what should I be looking at? I'll talk to Patrick about this too, but just want to get a head start looking. I was thinking about the BT-002 but after seeing some of the issues Scott had with his Saturday made me curious (delamination?).

I ran between 2:09 to 2:04 my first session in intermediate and think I might have stayed near 2:06 to 2:04 generally for the rest of the day without knowing the true times later in the day.

Sorry for running on..... Tire suggestions? I want a reasonable priced tire that fits with my ability to ride, but want to have some confidence as I try to improve my riding. Looking forward to seeing my videos to work on other areas once I see them.

Last edited by bdubb; 03-16-2008 at 07:03 PM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer tire pressure suggestions r6racer How To's and Q & A's 6 09-20-2014 03:15 PM
Tire Suggestions PhilAnder Vintage / Cafe Racers 5 03-10-2012 11:03 AM
rear tire suggestions DB8 Taking it to the Track 8 04-15-2009 04:09 PM
Front tire suggestions GrayJ Taking it to the Track 12 04-08-2009 01:32 PM
Buying a new Rear Tire Any Suggestions Marcopolo Performance and Modifications 30 12-18-2007 11:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
NOsquid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Another set of Pilots would treat you fine as a novice. Just stick to the major brands, it's hard to find a bad tire.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
BRIDGESTONE!

The problems you mentioned with Scott's tires sounds like a fairly isolated event. There are far too many people running the 'stones without issue, myself included.

The Bt-002 Racing Street is a great tire for someone your speed and will offer plenty of grip for longer than a race tire will without tire warmers. For you, this is where I would start.

The Bt-002 Pro versions (what I use) are really nice. Very grippy. Predictable traction. More than you really need right now, but would offer a very nice cushion of traction in case you get in over your head.

Hit up John Hutchinson (Kawi Jm) at South Central Race Center. He'll hook you up. Pm him here or call him at 281-703-0296
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

I'm not a big tire guy, but i ran 1:55s-1:57s on hard compound street bridgestones and had no complaints, but definitely not a comfortable feeling...

today i was running constant 1:52s on my new bridgestone BT002s (street) and things felt awesome! and there is still alot of tire left. i'm thinking i could get 3 track days out of a pair of these at my pace. at a lower pace with less heating and less stress i'm sure you could get alot more time on them.

just my .02 for ya. hit up patrick and see what he says, he is the expert.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i run in the 40's with bt002 pro's. i love em, they are nicely priced and offer plenty of grip. they also have great wear life.

i've ran bt002 pro's and michelin power races....and the bt002 seems to be the better choice for me.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
What happend to scotts tires ??? can you explain

I have 2cts and will be switching over to BT-002s in a month or less. Hear to many good things about them. If I decide to go all track I will just go with there all out race tire.

J
Jet,

I can't give the proper description of it, but the left side of his rear tire was ripping off in areas. The tires were warm and the track was warm. He was following me most of the time so he wasn't pushing it hard either. Just looked like there was an outer layer of the rubber peeling off of an internal layer. Many others mentioned it was isolated included Scott himself. Just makes me curious as I am new into everything and looking at options.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I ran both the Michelin 2CTs and the Bridgestone Race/Street on my '061000RR... 2CTs were good, but the RSs were ALOT better (even did 2 novice races on 'em).

I just switched this weekend to the PRO's... absolutely amazing! The tires perform well beyond my abilities, but I too wanted the extra confidence/security of uber-sticky shoes...

As a side note, Kawi Jm (John of South Central Race Center) is a good guy to deal with... that was ultimately the deciding factor for me, since its hard to pick a bad race tire these days.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
Jet,

I can't give the proper description of it, but the left side of his rear tire was ripping off in areas. The tires were warm and the track was warm. He was following me most of the time so he wasn't pushing it hard either. Just looked like there was an outer layer of the rubber peeling off of an internal layer. Many others mentioned it was isolated included Scott himself. Just makes me curious as I am new into everything and looking at options.
suspension set up? :dontknow:
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
michilin ftmfw. just an fyi they have new race tires coming out this year too
Romeo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
suspension set up? :dontknow:
Naw, it was a few big tears but only on the left side and only in two or three spots... they were about 1mm deep and it did look like the outer layer peeled off the inner.

I thought he may have gone over a few rocks while hard on the gas, really dunno.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
Jet,

Sounds like cold tear.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I used bt 002 streets my first track day. Gripped like duct tape i dont think i slid it out once. No idea what my times were, but i thought i was cruising along. Hit up javi he gets crazy deals on tires.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
Riddler
LONGHORNMOTORCYCLESCHOOL

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
YOUR MOM
YOUR SISTER

I have been on Mich power race DOT and slick,Pirelli slicks, and Stones BT002 Pro's. I prefer the stones over the others by far. Great grip and seem to last. I had 4-5 good days running 1:45-:50 pace at MSRH on the set I just took off. And the best bag for your buck too!

Can't wait for the BT003's to get here..
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement