MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
bignmz04
My better is better

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Aftermarket cams for an 03 r6.

anybody know a company that makes them and can be found here in the states?
only company I have found is Kent in UK
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 03 R6 neiN General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-03-2008 01:40 PM
r6 05 bodywork on an 03 r6 bignmz04 How To's and Q & A's 4 01-09-2008 04:41 PM
Anyone have aftermarket R6 rearsets not installed that I could borrow?... Blue91 Performance and Modifications 14 10-11-2007 03:36 PM
06 R6 rim on 03 R6?? mongofeet General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-28-2007 12:10 AM
03 R1 rim on 03 R6?? mongofeet General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 02-11-2007 09:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

I know a dude that builds WSBK engines in Plano. I'll hit him up and see what he recommends.
What are you looking for, exactly? The more info you give me, the more detailed his response will be.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

I am trying to get a true 125-130 whp on 93 octane if thats possible. mid range loss is not that big a deal for me. this bike is my sunday romper and is rode pretty hard.
I have seen some cam specs but i would imagine i would need to tell the builder a lot more than that.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

have you tried asking this over at r6messagenet? I bet someone over there has been there and done that before. . .
Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post
I am trying to get a true 125-130 whp on 93 octane if thats possible. mid range loss is not that big a deal for me. this bike is my sunday romper and is rode pretty hard.
I have seen some cam specs but i would imagine i would need to tell the builder a lot more than that.
Alright, bud. I'll send him a pm. He usually checks in during the week, only.

See ya @ the track!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Hope you've got very deep pockets Oh yea, you have
With head work, cams, kit head gasket, timing mods, full Evo system, PC, total loss ignition, 2005 model throttle bodies (cause they're bigger) you should get there
but I wouldn't run it on 93 Octane
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
have you tried asking this over at r6messagenet? I bet someone over there has been there and done that before. . .
yes I did. r6messagenet and r6forum.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Hope you've got very deep pockets Oh yea, you have
With head work, cams, kit head gasket, timing mods, full Evo system, PC, total loss ignition, 2005 model throttle bodies (cause they're bigger) you should get there
but I wouldn't run it on 93 Octane
well i have the full evo system, pc, v stacks, and slide stops already on and the factory pro +4 timing disk/wheel on order . I also have headwork being done currently.

I guess i need to source the the 2005 throttlebodies and some cams

I will go to a 636cc if i have to but i think it would much more badass to make the same power with a 599cc.

P.S. what is a total loss ignition?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
Alright, bud. I'll send him a pm. He usually checks in during the week, only.
Thank you.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
well i have the full evo system, pc, v stacks, and slide stops already on and the factory pro +4 timing disk/wheel on order . I also have headwork being done currently.

I will go to a 636cc if i have to but i think it would much more badass to make the same power with a 599cc.

Who's doing the headwork? Have they talked about degreeing the cams? That should give some more top end. Probably get you closer to the power mark you desire.

See ya @ the track!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
Who's doing the headwork? Have they talked about degreeing the cams? That should give some more top end. Probably get you closer to the power mark you desire.
He did mention that but I have seen european bikes dyno a lot more with headwork and cam. over the american bikes with just headwork and degreed cams.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:

That's going to be a beaut

Total loss ignition is where the charging system is removed and the bike then relies on what is in the battery to run the Fi systems.
Typically we could run race distance on a good, fully charged battery but had to use spares for warm up and practice.
The process involves removing the generator and windings which not only saves weight but eliminates the magnetic drag associated with generators.
This is a cheap and very effective way of increasing performance.
Several kit generators are avialable but these are costly ($1600 for the kit ZX6RR ) by comparrisson.
We never had the budget and opted for the cheaper fix.
I wouldn't recommend total loss for road use obviously but a kit generator will find you some horsepower but just as importantly from a race perspective allow the engine to spin up faster .
Having said that not sure if it could cope with lights and can't remember if it will plug into a standard loom :/:
Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #13
paniro187

Quote:
That's going to be a beaut

Total loss ignition is where the charging system is removed and the bike then relies on what is in the battery to run the Fi systems.
Typically we could run race distance on a good, fully charged battery but had to use spares for warm up and practice.
The process involves removing the generator and windings which not only saves weight but eliminates the magnetic drag associated with generators.
This is a cheap and very effective way of increasing performance.
Several kit generators are avialable but these are costly ($1600 for the kit ZX6RR ) by comparrisson.
We never had the budget and opted for the cheaper fix.
I wouldn't recommend total loss for road use obviously but a kit generator will find you some horsepower but just as importantly from a race perspective allow the engine to spin up faster .
Having said that not sure if it could cope with lights and can't remember if it will plug into a standard loom :/:
I knew several people runing constant loss on zx7rr's and they wouild only last for a ouple laps race or one track days session before spark stated cutting out. constant loss is a no go for street IMO. lightening the crank would yield a good spin up gain also.

also lighter wheels would yield big gains also and make you feel you have more hp.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
I knew several people runing constant loss on zx7rr's and they wouild only last for a ouple laps race or one track days session before spark stated cutting out. constant loss is a no go for street IMO. lightening the crank would yield a good spin up gain also.

also lighter wheels would yield big gains also and make you feel you have more hp.
ZX7RR's run carbs don't they ??
Surprised at that as less drain than a Fi system !!
We could run 25 lapper plus sighting and warm down laps on the R6 Fi.
I'd track day it and get 2 sessions but not three before changing the battery or putting on boost charge through a static lead.
Either way no good for the street.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
paniro187

Quote:
ZX7RR's run carbs don't they ??
Surprised at that as less drain than a Fi system !!
We could run 25 lapper plus sighting and warm down laps on the R6 Fi.
I'd track day it and get 2 sessions but not three before changing the battery or putting on boost charge through a static lead.
Either way no good for the street.
these guys were running the full on superbikes that were sold by hawk kawasaki. 2d datalogging system and all. maybe it was a session or two heck it's been so long ago i don't remember the EXACT details except that you can't run that system on the street. well you CAN but not for long.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
these guys were running the full on superbikes that were sold by hawk kawasaki. 2d datalogging system and all. maybe it was a session or two heck it's been so long ago i don't remember the EXACT details except that you can't run that system on the street. well you CAN but not for long.
Hawk Kawasaki's would have kit generators for sure !!
unless they were removed prior to sale which happens !!
Glen Richards used to have those things sideways against the 1000's
Wondered where those bikes got too
Old 03-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:

125 / 130 rwhp from an '03 R6?

Not possible with stock pistons, head etc, especially not on pump gas. (You can add nitrous though)
Cams are also going to further focus the powerband towards the top end of the rpm range as well.
You're still going to be hard pressed to hit the numbers you're looking for, and the engine will not be dead reliable.

If you're looking for more power, buy an '08 R6 and still be prepared to dump some money into it.

I've seen some very leaned on FX R6s that make in the 123- 125 rwhp range, and that's on U4 or MR9.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 03-17-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
paniro187

Quote:
Hawk Kawasaki's would have kit generators for sure !!
unless they were removed prior to sale which happens !!
Glen Richards used to have those things sideways against the 1000's
Wondered where those bikes got too
i was under the impression that hawk ran constant loss just like the kaw team in wsbk. I know the endurance kawasaki ran kit generators but i didn't know the sprint bikes did.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
125 / 130 rwhp from an '03 R6?

Not possible with stock pistons, head etc, especially not on pump gas. (You can add nitrous though)
Cams are also going to further focus the powerband towards the top end of the rpm range as well.
You're still going to be hard pressed to hit the numbers you're looking for, and the engine will not be dead reliable.

If you're looking for more power, buy an '08 R6 and still be prepared to dump some money into it.

I've seen some very leaned on FX R6s that make in the 123- 125 rwhp range, and that's on U4 or MR9.
the man knows what he speaks for sure.

i figured the light wheels and lighter unsprung weight would give the feeling of more hp.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #20
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Our BSS 2004 R6 made 125RWBHP (on Elf 104 octane race fuel) at its best.
standard pistons (by regulation), tuned head, kit loom, cams etc etc
lasted just about the whole season (with one refresh) by which time it had dropped to 117BHP before it imploded.

Simon Andrews on the Piranha Yamaha running full Motec ignition and YEC kit had 132RWBHP on Elf 104 Octane race fuel it is reliably rumoured.
Still less than the Hondas at that time !!

Both these bikes ran in the British Supersport championship equivalent to your AMA.

The 2008 R6 being tuned for AW who rode the 04 R6 is making 138RWBHP even before the compression has been.................. "fettled"
first proper shakedown tests this weekend at Donnington Park :thumb

Advertisement