MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #41
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Look at the Speed Triple. That's an awesome bike!! But I like the previous generation S3 over the current generation. The previous generations were tru to the naked theme, because they could be beasts on the city streets, while also allowing versatility. My sister's ex-boyfriend had a S3, and she felt completely comfortable on the pillion seat. Compare the old S3 to the new, and you'll notice the new S3's are leaning towards more performance, and less versatility. I'm not putting down one bike over the other, with any of these choices. all I've been saying through and through, is decide what type of a bike he wants, because even within the naked bikes, it varies from one type of ride to the other.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Robbie Maddison "pipe dream" RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-03-2015 08:30 AM
10 things you didn't know about the "Dream Act"... cedestech The Circus 11 12-02-2010 04:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #42
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
The 919 is geared and tuned to be more neutral than a Z1000. The 919 picks up on design cues from the old school (7" round light, round mirrors, traditional 2-up single seat, etc.). You can just look at a Z1000, and you automatically note the differences. Even in performance numbers of the Z1000 are obviously more to the performance end of the spectrum (rake/trail, compression ratio, wheelbase, seating, etc.)

just do a comparison on strictly the specifications, and you'll see the difference. With all that said, the 919 was deliberately tuned and designed to be that way, as what Honda determined should be the best characteristics for a street bike. The 919 motor is the same motor as the legendary CBR900RR, but they decided to "detune" it for the 919, since it was never intended to be a sportbike, per say, but a streetbike.

Most nakeds are setup this way, but vary from one end of the "standard' spectrum to the other. The Z1000 and 919 are almost on opposite sides of that spectrum. Kawasaki even mounts the Z1000 on 190s, instead of 180s in the rear. The rear passenger seat is more like that of a sportbike.
Whereas a Z1000 may compare against a Speed Triple, a 919 will compare to a Bandit. One set has more versatility in the streets then the other set. There's definitely more versatility in a 919 vs. a Z1000, and I can only state that based on my experience. I have owned sportbikes in the past, but got tired of that, and found the best streets for the streets in today's offerings are from nakeds, and the 919 and Bandit, and maybe even the SV1000 fit that mold. The Z1000 is more of a sportbike, without the fairings, imo, but that may be exactly what Alex, or any other motrocyclist wants.
Thanks Rob, that is an awesome post and explains your point of view much better.

I completely agree with most of what you said, especially that the Z is a sportbike without fairings. That's exactly what I was looking for in a bike. I wanted a "sleeper" bike with more aggressive styling than a traditional standard.

The stock Z has a relaxed upright riding position that makes it easier to ride long distances and the wide dirtbike style bars give you more leverage on the steering of the bike to flick it wherever you want. The Z inherits it's engine from the old ZX9R, though it's overbored (953cc) and (reportedly) tuned for more torque down low.

A comparison of dyno graphs shows that both the 919 and the Z have very similar low end power curves. Low rpm around town ridability should be very similar. The Z has about a 25 more hp on the top end and I'm happy it's there when I go looking for it.

146 0308 znaked dynocopy
dyno 2002 hon 919

I looked for gear ratio's to compare the Z and the 919. I found some for the Z but the only thing I could find for the 919 was "Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission with gear ratios carefully matched to the engine's powerband." I searched for about 10 minutes and didn't find any numbers.

Z1K:
Gear ratios: 1st 2.571 (36/14)
Gear ratios: 2nd 1.882 (32/17)
Gear ratios: 3rd 1.556 (28/18)
Gear ratios: 4th 1.333 (28/21)
Gear ratios: 5th 1.200 (24/20)
Gear ratios: 6th 1.095 (23/21)
Final reduction ratio 2.667 (40/15)

True, the Z comes with a 190 from the factory, but most Z owners will swap it out for a 180 to help the bike turn in. The rear of the bike is indeed like that of a sportbike, in fact it is the same tail section as used on the 03-04 zx6r. Both bikes weigh about the same, 427 lbs (919) and 437 lbs (Z). The Z has a more sport oriented suspension which I think is more adjustable (I read somewhere that the 919 is not adjustable on the front and just preload on the back, please correct me if I'm wrong) though it's not as adjustable as a true sport bike. My commute is more than 60 miles round trip and I ride in every time I am able to. The ride isn't too harsh or too plush and I've put over 300 miles on it in a day. I've never had a problem with the bike putting around town. It'll handle anything I ask it to do.

In reality, I don't think that there's much difference in the versatility between the Z and the 919. True they appear to have completely different aesthetic design attitudes, but both bikes are competent street bikes and very similar at their core.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #43
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

a budy of mine has a z1 one of the most reliable bikes ive seen, rarely puts a wrench to it, has went all across america with it, very powerful bike, the thing about 919s is that you can build them any how you like imo so many upgrades for those bikes, fz1 are like sv inmo only so much you can do to them, you know you can ride the sv anytime call me up and take a ride so you can make your decision better

Advertisement