MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which is the best?
919 31 23.31%
Z1000 35 26.32%
FZ1 36 27.07%
SV1000 31 23.31%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 shadow aero - sold, 02 954rr baby!

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearalex
Question Your opinion on naked bikes

Ok, so the sale on my shadow is pending and i am seriously looking into getting a naked bike. I am partial to hondas but i will consider other 3 makes too. In fact yesterday i saw a good deal on Z1000. And someone here posted his Z's pics and they looked really cool.

So what's your opinion about each kind of bike:
1) CB919 (hornet)
2) Z1000
3) FZ1
4) SV1000

Thanks,
alex
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Semi naked bikes? need ideas. hotcknstrips General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-11-2013 10:42 AM
Naked bikes are a work out... Kachoojoe General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 01-24-2012 12:53 PM
Opinion on Buell Bikes viper3ez General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 01-29-2010 10:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
06fairedfz1
rslts may vary

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2004 raven r1
2009 sportsman 500

i love my fz1, even though i put the fairings on it, it is prolly the most comfy bike i've been on, bought mine nov. 06 and just rolled 20k on it, i might also mention this bike has tons of torque, anytime we go ride again, you're more than welcome to check it out.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
06fairedfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fairedfz1 View Post
i love my fz1, even though i put the fairings on it, it is prolly the most comfy bike i've been on, bought mine nov. 06 and just rolled 20k on it, i might also mention this bike has tons of torque, anytime we go ride again, you're more than welcome to check it out.
thanks buddy!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
06fairedfz1
rslts may vary

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2004 raven r1
2009 sportsman 500

i talke to you at the galveston ride, and my dad is the guy with the purple honda shadow 1100, we're leaving friday to go to germany for a week, but when i get back, we can meet up somewhere if ya want to check it out

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
06fairedfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fairedfz1 View Post
i talke to you at the galveston ride, and my dad is the guy with the purple honda shadow 1100, we're leaving friday to go to germany for a week, but when i get back, we can meet up somewhere if ya want to check it out
Oh yeah i remember you! Great thanks again!

have fun in Germany although you know i just got back from europe - i could barely afford to eat out there - the dollar has taken a lot of beating recently!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
bullmoose

I had a first gen Z1000, '06. I really liked the bike do to that it had a really comfortable riding position, and it had wicked looks. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that it had a bad buzz in the handlebars, and it would put your hands asleep pretty quickly. This can be fixed though by buying anti-vibration barends.
bullmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmoose View Post
I had a first gen Z1000, '06. I really liked the bike do to that it had a really comfortable riding position, and it had wicked looks. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that it had a bad buzz in the handlebars, and it would put your hands asleep pretty quickly. This can be fixed though by buying anti-vibration barends.
well riding a v-twin engine i know what it feels like. I remember i couldnt feel my hands at all after the first time i rode hwy on my shadow.

the advice that i was given that worked for me was not to squeeze the handles and hold on to them as lgihtly as possible. either the advice that worked or i simply stopped noticing it but now the "buzz" doesnt bother me anymore...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

Quote:
sounds like my duc

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
No surprise here which one I prefer. I looked at all those same bikes when I bought mine. They are all decent bikes and they have their own charm. Get the one that you like the best. I did, and I don't regret it.

Also, check out insurance costs on each bike. The Z is basically a sportbike with no clothes on (bored out zx9 engine and acceptable suspension). I pay something like $500/yr for full coverage.

I thought that I wanted the SV so that I could be lazy and just roll on the torque at any rpm, but the Z has enough to keep me happy in any gear. I can't whack it open in 1st and have to be careful in second or the front will start coming up.

The 919 is a little dated to me, still a good bike though. If Honda would bring the CB1000R to the states though, that would be pretty hot.

Quote:
The only thing that I didn't like about it was that it had a bad buzz in the handlebars, and it would put your hands asleep pretty quickly. This can be fixed though by buying anti-vibration barends.
Or you can fill the bars with lead shot and bb's like I did. The vibes are very mild now. I have Suburban Machinery bars though, so I don't know how those compare vibe wise with the stock ones.

Last edited by Mic; 03-13-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
Jesse H

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

Triumph Speed Triple!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

You forgot a B1250 Bandit. Or do they not make nekkid in the new model?

*edit* nope, no nekkid, just the S model.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"

Last edited by texlurch; 03-13-2008 at 08:12 AM.
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #12
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
No surprise here which one I prefer. I looked at all those same bikes when I bought mine. They are all decent bikes and they have their own charm. Get the one that you like the best. I did, and I don't regret it.

Also, check out insurance costs on each bike. The Z is basically a sportbike with no clothes on (bored out zx9 engine and acceptable suspension). I pay something like $500/yr for full coverage.

I thought that I wanted the SV so that I could be lazy and just roll on the torque at any rpm, but the Z has enough to keep me happy in any gear. I can't whack it open in 1st and have to be careful in second or the front will start coming up.

The 919 is a little dated to me, still a good bike though. If Honda would bring the CB1000R to the states though, that would be pretty hot.

Or you can fill the bars with lead shot and bb's like I did. The vibes are very mild now. I have Suburban Machinery bars though, so I don't know how those compare vibe wise with the stock ones.
thanks. what was it about z1000 that you liked the best? The looks? the seating postion? ...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #13
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

the B-King is a naked bike... with the 08 busa motor in it... it's crazy fast and a blast to ride... but gotta remove the ugly mudflap and exhausts first though
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearalex View Post
Ok, so the sale on my shadow is pending and i am seriously looking into getting a naked bike. I am partial to hondas but i will consider other 3 makes too. In fact yesterday i saw a good deal on Z1000. And someone here posted his Z's pics and they looked really cool.

So what's your opinion about each kind of bike:
1) CB919 (hornet)
2) Z1000
3) FZ1
4) SV1000

Thanks,
alex
Google comparison on em... :-)

I've got an 05 Fz1, and I love it.

You can go to http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/ and find some reviews/comparisons in regards to the models you've referred to. (Imagine there are probably some dedicated to the other models too, that you can check out).
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS

I voted for the Z1000...a great naked bike with plenty of power and part of the fun is modding them to personalize the bike. Not too many seen on the street.

It's a blast to ride...

IMG 009deleted

robz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearalex View Post
thanks. what was it about z1000 that you liked the best? The looks? the seating postion? ...
The looks ultimately tipped the scales for me. I just really dig the way my bike looks. The bike got a lot of good reviews too.

The seating position on my bike is more forward than normal Z's due to the bars that I have, but it's a good compromise between aggressive and upright. The seat I sometimes think I want to swap out and other times I'm fine with it. :dontknow: I guess it depends on the type of riding I'm doing at the time.

I'm really happy with the powerband of the engine. If I keep the revs below 5k the bike is totally tame and I can easily lug it through the gears and still have roll on power if needed. Rev it up though and the front gets pretty light. I probably rarely use full throttle at high rpm's it's just too easy to get into highly illegal speeds. Some owners of stock Z's complain of weak off idle acceleration and a flat spot at low rpm's but I have none of these issues with my pipe and pc3.

The bike feels pretty stable in the corners to me, and has fairly quick turn in as long as I'm not on the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
the B-King is a naked bike... with the 08 busa motor in it... it's crazy fast and a blast to ride... but gotta remove the ugly mudflap and exhausts first though
Yeah, but the BKing is a pig at 518 lb. I sat on one at the show and I didn't really like the way it felt and looked. You'd also have to get a license plate that said "Whpr" or something like that.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #17
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

..one of the forums, for the FZ1 'When your mind says R1 but your body says Sealy Posturepedic'.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
thomas78

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
07 CB919

Have had no problems with my 919, they all have there pros/cons, just have to sit on a few and see which one suits you best. I would also look at triple as well....
NO, No Basketball
thomas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

1st gen FZ1 has good brakes, suspension, motor, and would probably be my first choice.
The 2nd gen FZ1 has fueling issues and no mid range, and I'm still undecided on the looks.

The 919 is nice, good engine, typical Honda quality, but will definitiely need suspension upgrades.

The SV1000 is a bit better in the suspension department and has a great engine and brakes to go with it. I'll sell you mine if you're interested, although it's not quite stock anymore.

The Z1000's suspension is o.k. (not a big fan of the rebound 1 fork leg / compression another set up), the brakes are good and the engine is awesome.
Check your insurance though, it'll probably be more expensive, for some reason most insurance companies put it into the sportbike category.:/:

The new Bandit 1250 is pretty good imo.
Decent suspension, awesome motor, good brakes and it's the smoothest of all of them.

If you were a real man you'd buy a Ducati Monster though!

A good one to look at would be the S2R 1000.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

I'm partial to the older Bandit 1200s for naked bikes. It's just a blank slate waiting for you to make it your own...

Some very cool things you can do to those.

If you just want a naked bike to do basic mods like exhaust maybe suspension and just ride it, then my preference in your list would be the 919 (Honda quality) or the SV1000 (love big twins)...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement