MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: which brand
bridgestones 24 41.38%
pirelli/metzler 18 31.03%
dunlop 3 5.17%
michelins 13 22.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #21
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Oh, and what I meant about the :50's is that if you are slower than that, there is no reason to be on slicks.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have dot race tire take-offs ? Fastola Taking it to the Track 10 10-21-2012 07:01 PM
Slicks vs DOT bumblebee Taking it to the Track 55 01-26-2007 07:41 AM
poll for the race (Spoiler) paniro187 Taking it to the Track 11 10-28-2006 08:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #22
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Oh, and what I meant about the :50's is that if you are slower than that, there is no reason to be on slicks.
Well R&T my team was slow but on a 6 hr race we could do it on slicks but not dots and that was our reason for going with slicks.

That and some team members thought they looked cool.

ps got any to fit an EX250
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #23
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
ps got any to fit an EX250
I have a DOT for the EX, but not a slick.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #24
orchard

Feedback Rating: (1)

All together now gang!

PEEEE-REEEEL-EEEEE

orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #25
DustinJ

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Bike(s):
'09 R6
'08 R6

Send a message via MSN to DustinJ
I am running the Dunlops, both slicks and DOT's, and I couldn't be happier. I switched from Michelin over to Dunlop and I'm smitten with these things.
CMRA Expert #979
Sponsored by: AAA Lift Trucks Racing, Sunny Motorsports, RaceWorx / Jim Cambora
DustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #26
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
me neither
Just a word of advise:
If your just a trackday junky stick with DOT's they are more versital and as I am speaking for Bridgestone, the DOT's will offer all the grip anyone will need to get the job done.
If your racing classes that (ALL) allow slicks then by all means go for it. The slicks are the bomb, but lets face facts. Most riders can't ride beyond the capabilities of today's DOT race tires. You may ride beyond your current suspension set-up, but not beyond the tire.

John

I couldn't agree more. I been running BS BT002 street/race and I love 'em. They seem to have plenty of grip and they wear well.
The only complaint (which really isn't a complaint) is that since they are softer on the edge than the middle, on the track the sides wear quite a bit faster than the middle.
I figured out a way to use that to my favor. When the sides are worn out I will put 'em on my street bike, then I can wear the center out.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #27
lump9
I Love Lamp

Bike(s):
GSXR 750

I'm currently running BT002 race compound that I
picked up from John and I really like them. I run track
days only, no racing or street riding. Larry made me a
deal on a set of Metzler slicks so I'll be sampling them
next. Like everyone else I'm looking for the best
grip/value. I'm not paying for gumballs when I can't
really use them, but I'm not rollin' out on Cheng Shins
Flintsone compound either!
lump9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Lump, don't knock the Chen Shins mang! I ran those in '88 as my first "race" compound tire! Got them out of the Dennis Kirk catalog! (the previous statement is for realz, I really did!)

We used to use the Michelin Pilot Race tires for several years. When they changed to the Pilot Powers or whatever they're called now about 4 years ago, we didn't like them and started looking at other brands. We tried Metzler first (which were hideous, and lasted about 2 hours until they were gone... so bad we had to change tires front and rear in a 4 hour race!), never again will I try Metzlers on any of my bikes.
Next we tried Dunlops, which were very good! The wore well and stuck great. Price sucked, even with a little support.

We talked with Pete Martins, who was selling both Dunlop and Bridgestone at the time, and he had us try the Bridgestone. It cost much less and performed just as good! I was shocked. We've been on Bridgestones ever since, and have been extremely happy with the support big John has given us!

The Pirelli is a good sprint tire. The only problem we had with the Pirelli was the endurance of the tire- they didn't go the distance at all, and when they wore, they were down right scary. I've heard they changed their tire since last year, but I don't have a reason to try them again. Ty Howard said last year he was only getting a few laps out of a fresh set at OHR. He switched to Dunlop this year...

Now slicks, if you can get them up to temp and keep them there, there is NO EQUAL. For the last 2 years we've been racing on Bridgestone GP slicks, and they are AWESOME! Confidence inspiring and solid! They last for freakin' ever too. We ran the 8 hour race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) two years in a row, each year using only one set of tires. One year we won our class, the other year we placed 3rd. The year we won we were 9th over-all IIRC.

I have the 002 Pro's on my bike right now, and only got to do one track day on them. I really liked them, but will be hard-core testing them this year fo sho. They wore really well, traction was spot-on and very predictable (as Derek mentioned).

Advertisement