MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
pbjsammich

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Basic Rider Course....for experienced riders?

So tonight I'm picking up a TW200 for my fiancee. We've been talking about getting her on a bike for some time. I'm going to show her basic stuff in the backyard/driveway but ultimately want her to learn by going to the Basic Rider course. She wants me to go through it with her.

My question is will I benefit from going to this course? I presently ride and have ridden consistantly for almost 20 years...on and off road. I took the required safety class through the Air Force years ago and walked away learning something and thought I definately benefited from taking the class.

So, for those that have taken the class....will this be beneficial to me or will I be seriously bored? Is it a "this is the clutch, this is the front brake, etc" type of course?
pbjsammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need experienced riders course near League City. DmaxMike New Riders and MSF Course Info 15 06-02-2013 11:18 AM
experienced rider course? switch Awesome Cycles MSF Riding Courses 51 04-28-2011 10:11 AM
Reminder for New and Experienced Riders this Riding Season CaligoneTx General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 07-10-2010 02:57 AM
opinion from experienced riders newrider05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 05-26-2005 08:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjsammich View Post
So tonight I'm picking up a TW200 for my fiancee. We've been talking about getting her on a bike for some time. I'm going to show her basic stuff in the backyard/driveway but ultimately want her to learn by going to the Basic Rider course. She wants me to go through it with her.

My question is will I benefit from going to this course? I presently ride and have ridden consistantly for almost 20 years...on and off road. I took the required safety class through the Air Force years ago and walked away learning something and thought I definately benefited from taking the class.

So, for those that have taken the class....will this be beneficial to me or will I be seriously bored? Is it a "this is the clutch, this is the front brake, etc" type of course?

You can take the Advanced Rider Course but being there with your Significant other should be all the motivation that you need you wont be bored
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

do you like riding other peoples' bikes? if so...you will have fun in the course.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjsammich View Post

at first you'll be bored, cuz it is going over the basics, but it couldn't hurt, chances are you'll learn something.

and you get insurance discounts for having taken the course, may be worth your while.

$150 at a few diff. schools.

go in w/ the right attitude though, if you go in knowing everything, you'll learn nothing.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
You will likely still learn something. Yes, you'll be bored for part of the session when they teach clutch control, etc. Riding the range exercises on the light little 250s will be fun for you most likely. I had a blast during those parts and was bored during the "here's how to start your bike" parts, haha.

Go in to it with an open mind and be ready to enjoy watching your woman kick on the bike! I did it with my fiancee and I had more fun watching her learn. She has a ninja 250 now and I love going on rides with her.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

I can tell you that almost all of the experienced riders that come through the basic course are impressed with how much they learn (and how many bad habits they had ).

That's one of the reasons I became an Instructor. I had been riding about 10 years before I took the course and was impressed with how much knowledge I walked away with.

Here's what some of our students have to say:

"Great couple of days! Learned more than I expected. Thanks!!"
Male, Age- 49, Experience- 20+ years

"I wish I had taken this course years ago, probably would have saved me a lot of money on busted tires and rims. Thanks guys."
Male, Age- 36, Experience- 8 years

"Despite having ridden off and on for the past 10-15 years, this course made me realize all the things I have been doing wrong and helped me to improve my riding skills."
Male, Age- 46, Experience- 8 years

"Easily worth the money."
Male, Age- 46, Experience- 11 years

"Bada-- class"
Male, Age- 18, Experience- 14 years

"Excellent class. Will highly recommend basic course to even experienced riders. Will be back for advanced course in near future. Keep up the good work, absolutely awesome!!"
Male, Age- 35, Experience- 25 years

"I really learned a lot from this class as far as well, everything. Thanks again for your hard work, you guys were AWESOME!"
Male, Age- 21, Experience- 15 years

"I wish I would have taken this class in 1973 when I started riding. Bad habits are hard to break. My son who has never rode a bike and myself had an eye opening experience. Safety was stressed learning, thank all of you"
Male, Age- 53, Experience- 15 years

"For the money, this was exceptional - I bet people pay a lot more and learn less. I am coming back for the Experienced class - Awesome dude!"
Male, Age- 44, Experience- 30 years

"As an experienced rider, I obtain a lot of knowledge from the course."
Male, Age- 47, Experience- 10 years

"I have been riding all my life, this course has opened my mind to so many different aspects of my surroundings."
Male, Age- 43, Experience- 30 years
Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

It is rare that someone walks away from this course not learning something, even riders with 20 years experience.
Angamico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

It certainly wasn't a cocky post....I really was hoping I would get this reaction from you guys. I was hoping to be there with her during the course, and was hoping I'd walk away with something myself.

That's all I needed to hear then....I appreciate all your responses!!!!
pbjsammich is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement