MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>
 
Pyrofallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Feedback Rating: (31)
Posts: 25,364

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





08 R6 First 600 To Break 170 MPH

Yamaha’s 2008 YZF-R6 has just become the first 600cc supersport motorcycle to hit a genuine 170mph.

At 172.34 mph, the 2008 R6 beat the next fastest bike by nearly 7 mph – Kawasaki’s ZX-6R managing 165.97mph with the same rider in the same conditions at Bruntingthorpe proving ground.

CLICK HERE
__________________
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.”
"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
-Thomas Jefferson
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
170+ on a 600 RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 02-06-2013 08:27 AM
Speeding...Biker clocked going 170 mph on upstate NY highway ArtistMarty General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-04-2012 03:27 PM
Baltimore Grand Prix accident at 170 mph sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 09-06-2011 04:09 PM
New R6 break in procedure - avoid freeways? TX-Zen How To's and Q & A's 27 10-05-2008 05:58 AM
200 mph 600?? Homebrew Off Topic 26 06-04-2008 04:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Speedfreak
Bleed Green
 
Speedfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Danbury, TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 651

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'07 Yamaha R6
'05 Kawi ZX10 (RIP)
'05 Kawi ZX10 the current mistress




umm............i didnt know that was a big thing. my 07 hits 172 all the time. learn somethin new every day :-)
__________________
though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i fear no evil!
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
OMEGA
good eenin *****es
 
OMEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: se houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 7,971

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000




Member Garage





is yours stock?^^
__________________
GU flag
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS!
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth
 
hardcoresteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,850

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped








Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak07 View Post
umm............i didnt know that was a big thing. my 07 hits 172 all the time. learn somethin new every day :-)
spedo error your really only doin 15x or so
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
OMEGA
good eenin *****es
 
OMEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: se houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 7,971

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoresteve View Post
spedo error your really only doin 15x or so
what i was thinkin my o1 hit 156 max didint know if the 07s realyy did that
__________________
GU flag
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS!
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
chasee69
ballin' outta control!
 
chasee69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central Houston
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 6,892

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50






Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak07 View Post
umm............i didnt know that was a big thing. my 07 hits 172 all the time. learn somethin new every day :-)
lucky you your 07 for some crazy reason is a magical r6 that is faster then everyones else
__________________

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
andrave
Senior Member
 
andrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 826












I believe sportbike riders must be the most die hard optimists around...
I have friends on stock or very lightly modded (ie, exhaust) R1's and SV1000's that claim top speeds over 190.
For whatever reason my 04 GSXR 750 seems to have a far less optimistic speedo. I usually run stock 180/55/17 size rear tires and I have stock sprockets, so that helps with the accuracy.. but I mean we run down the highway and someone cracks into it on like an F4i and of course everyone else does too... and pass the honda, and then an R1 goes by me, and sure its going faster but not THAT much faster... and we pull over for gas. I'm like wow that was pretty good I had about 168 on that run. The guy in the f4 (who I passed doing "168") starts talking about showing 175 and all this, and then the guy in the R1 proudly informs everyone he was traveling at 190.

The worst 2 offenders: a friend with an older F3 with sprockets and a larger rear tire fitted. He and I would ride side by side and pull over and he would be like "wow we were hitting 150" and I'd be like.. umm... I think we topped out around 90. dude. we got passed by a pickup truck. we were not doing 150.
The second, a friend with an sv1000 with two bros carbon exhaust... I've ridden it, its fast, but if we run on the highway he runs side by side with my 750... he ALWAYS claims he is doing easily 20-30 mph higher than I am, even when we run side by side... we ran one day up to top speeds (btw I know all this is stupid, I dont even want to hear it, and yes I did msf blah blah blah) and I hit an indicated 172. No clue what we were actually traveling. We pull over and he says he hit 189. I'm like... chris.. have you ever thought about that? have you thought about how youre claiming your sv1000 is capable of traveling faster than a hayabusa, which has tons more power and aero? especially when I was right next to you doing and my speedo was 20 mph lower... and much closer to what our bikes recorded top speeds actually are? and his defense is that my bike must have a "slow" speedo, and that he was actually rolling by me as we reached top speed, so even though we were close to being side by side, he was in the process of beating my by traveling 17 mph faster right as I let off, apparently.

bs. If you have stock gearing a stock rear tire and your tire pressures are off, youre not running the stock brand of tire, youre leaning AT ALL, I dont even wanna hear it. Bike speedos: not accurate at 70. twice as inaccurate at 140. over that? don't even wanna talk about it. the inaccuracy multiples with the rotations of the rear wheel.
sad but true.

the happy part of all of this is that radar guns are like $100 these days... just buy one. or you could always head to one of those airport top speed days they have a few places here and there.
till then its all just talk...
__________________
Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong
West Virginia mountain mama, country roads, take me home.
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
bignmz04
My better is better
 
bignmz04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sugarland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,997


Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.









Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
I believe sportbike riders must be the most die hard optimists around...
I have friends on stock or very lightly modded (ie, exhaust) R1's and SV1000's that claim top speeds over 190.
For whatever reason my 04 GSXR 750 seems to have a far less optimistic speedo. I usually run stock 180/55/17 size rear tires and I have stock sprockets, so that helps with the accuracy.. but I mean we run down the highway and someone cracks into it on like an F4i and of course everyone else does too... and pass the honda, and then an R1 goes by me, and sure its going faster but not THAT much faster... and we pull over for gas. I'm like wow that was pretty good I had about 168 on that run. The guy in the f4 (who I passed doing "168") starts talking about showing 175 and all this, and then the guy in the R1 proudly informs everyone he was traveling at 190.

The worst 2 offenders: a friend with an older F3 with sprockets and a larger rear tire fitted. He and I would ride side by side and pull over and he would be like "wow we were hitting 150" and I'd be like.. umm... I think we topped out around 90. dude. we got passed by a pickup truck. we were not doing 150.
The second, a friend with an sv1000 with two bros carbon exhaust... I've ridden it, its fast, but if we run on the highway he runs side by side with my 750... he ALWAYS claims he is doing easily 20-30 mph higher than I am, even when we run side by side... we ran one day up to top speeds (btw I know all this is stupid, I dont even want to hear it, and yes I did msf blah blah blah) and I hit an indicated 172. No clue what we were actually traveling. We pull over and he says he hit 189. I'm like... chris.. have you ever thought about that? have you thought about how youre claiming your sv1000 is capable of traveling faster than a hayabusa, which has tons more power and aero? especially when I was right next to you doing and my speedo was 20 mph lower... and much closer to what our bikes recorded top speeds actually are? and his defense is that my bike must have a "slow" speedo, and that he was actually rolling by me as we reached top speed, so even though we were close to being side by side, he was in the process of beating my by traveling 17 mph faster right as I let off, apparently.

bs. If you have stock gearing a stock rear tire and your tire pressures are off, youre not running the stock brand of tire, youre leaning AT ALL, I dont even wanna hear it. Bike speedos: not accurate at 70. twice as inaccurate at 140. over that? don't even wanna talk about it. the inaccuracy multiples with the rotations of the rear wheel.
sad but true.

the happy part of all of this is that radar guns are like $100 these days... just buy one. or you could always head to one of those airport top speed days they have a few places here and there.
till then its all just talk...
+1.

still fun to look at 170 on the speedo. lie or not
__________________
R6SPARTAN "oh no !! dayum everyone was like your super huge close to like 300 pounds lol...and they also said that you were like 6 feet somethign lol"
bignmz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic
 
TheMagicMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 4,298

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50









GPS FTW
TheMagicMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>
 
Pyrofallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Feedback Rating: (31)
Posts: 25,364

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





+1. Guys your speedos lie. Get a speedohealer and get it calibrated. you will quickly realize how fast you are NOT going. 170 is great accomplishment for a 600. Glad that us Yami's took the cake. w00t!
__________________
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.”
"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
-Thomas Jefferson
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
stunterdude
Senior Member
 
stunterdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: cypress
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 2,156

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
04 zx10,03 gsxr600,2001 f4i, 03 gsxr 1000, 2006 yzf250,2004crf150,2006 crf 450r,2001 929,06 klx 110




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to stunterdude
yamahas are dumps
__________________
Please contact Solracer about sponsorship
stunterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
KillinTime
Senior Member
 
KillinTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hardin
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,458

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard








Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
I believe sportbike riders must be the most die hard optimists around...
I have friends on stock or very lightly modded (ie, exhaust) R1's and SV1000's that claim top speeds over 190.
For whatever reason my 04 GSXR 750 seems to have a far less optimistic speedo. I usually run stock 180/55/17 size rear tires and I have stock sprockets, so that helps with the accuracy.. but I mean we run down the highway and someone cracks into it on like an F4i and of course everyone else does too... and pass the honda, and then an R1 goes by me, and sure its going faster but not THAT much faster... and we pull over for gas. I'm like wow that was pretty good I had about 168 on that run. The guy in the f4 (who I passed doing "168") starts talking about showing 175 and all this, and then the guy in the R1 proudly informs everyone he was traveling at 190.

The worst 2 offenders: a friend with an older F3 with sprockets and a larger rear tire fitted. He and I would ride side by side and pull over and he would be like "wow we were hitting 150" and I'd be like.. umm... I think we topped out around 90. dude. we got passed by a pickup truck. we were not doing 150.
The second, a friend with an sv1000 with two bros carbon exhaust... I've ridden it, its fast, but if we run on the highway he runs side by side with my 750... he ALWAYS claims he is doing easily 20-30 mph higher than I am, even when we run side by side... we ran one day up to top speeds (btw I know all this is stupid, I dont even want to hear it, and yes I did msf blah blah blah) and I hit an indicated 172. No clue what we were actually traveling. We pull over and he says he hit 189. I'm like... chris.. have you ever thought about that? have you thought about how youre claiming your sv1000 is capable of traveling faster than a hayabusa, which has tons more power and aero? especially when I was right next to you doing and my speedo was 20 mph lower... and much closer to what our bikes recorded top speeds actually are? and his defense is that my bike must have a "slow" speedo, and that he was actually rolling by me as we reached top speed, so even though we were close to being side by side, he was in the process of beating my by traveling 17 mph faster right as I let off, apparently.

bs. If you have stock gearing a stock rear tire and your tire pressures are off, youre not running the stock brand of tire, youre leaning AT ALL, I dont even wanna hear it. Bike speedos: not accurate at 70. twice as inaccurate at 140. over that? don't even wanna talk about it. the inaccuracy multiples with the rotations of the rear wheel.
sad but true.

the happy part of all of this is that radar guns are like $100 these days... just buy one. or you could always head to one of those airport top speed days they have a few places here and there.
till then its all just talk...

Just got to say....For 1 if your riding a GSX-R 750 you should be getting passed by an R1..lol...My F4 is caled with the 190 rear and i have hit 170 only mods..exhaust,k&n & stage 2.. if you passed the f4i doing 168 and its doing 168 then one of you were reading wrong and if the r1 was doing 190 and passed, you would definitly know it .. but who's to say how fast you,,me or anyone is going unless your on the bike with them...if one guy is doing 5 miles faster he is obviously going to pull away and say he was going 20mph faster.
KillinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
OMEGA
good eenin *****es
 
OMEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: se houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 7,971

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000




Member Garage





for andrave, the r1 i believe will hit around maybe 180 as for the sv1000 i know for a fact its tough pushin that thing past 155 much less 190 you would need a few mods and a of alot of road
__________________
GU flag
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS!
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
KillinTime
Senior Member
 
KillinTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hardin
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,458

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard








Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanworrell View Post
Yamaha’s 2008 YZF-R6 has just become the first 600cc supersport motorcycle to hit a genuine 170mph.

At 172.34 mph, the 2008 R6 beat the next fastest bike by nearly 7 mph – Kawasaki’s ZX-6R managing 165.97mph with the same rider in the same conditions at Bruntingthorpe proving ground.

CLICK HERE
I have to disagree....The 07 CBR600RR-7 hit 170 stock..Barber Motorsport Park, Alabama but then again i guess the only bikes they have tested is the R6 And the Zx6r with no rider 172? so ofcoarse its the second fastest out of the 2 DF's and..WTF.. IS MCN anyways??
KillinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #15
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





why is everyone making such a big deal about a 600 hitting 170??? Last I checked no one bought a 600 for top speed runs. They bought them for cheap insurance, controllable power at the track or just to have a slower bike for street use. If you want top speed get a liter bike and be done with it. get a GPS or speed o healer for those FACTORY speedometers because they are all off and even more so with gearing changes.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #16
ZXALAN
UR NXT
 
ZXALAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: League City Tx
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,254

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR








Get a GPS and prepare for the heartbreak..... The fastest 600s, 160-165mph TOPS..... Average running 600s, 155-160mph.... THATS THE REALITY...
__________________

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
KillinTime
Senior Member
 
KillinTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hardin
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,458

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard








Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
why is everyone making such a big deal about a 600 hitting 170??? Last I checked no one bought a 600 for top speed runs. They bought them for cheap insurance, controllable power at the track or just to have a slower bike for street use. If you want top speed get a liter bike and be done with it. get a GPS or speed o healer for those FACTORY speedometers because they are all off and even more so with gearing changes.
Now your not going to say that you hit 200 on your busa ??
KillinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #18
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Get a GPS and prepare for the heartbreak..... The fastest 600s, 160-165mph TOPS..... Average running 600s, 155-160mph.... THATS THE REALITY...

triumph 675.... 158 mph top speed wasn't it yamaha that had the big screw up with the rpm's not being as high as they claimed and had to eat a sandwich when the truth came out? Sounds like the same story to me part 2 to me.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





:/:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillInTime View Post
Now your not going to say that you hit 200 on your busa ??
:/:
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #20
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by KillInTime View Post
Now your not going to say that you hit 200 on your busa ??

nope.... mine is governed at 186
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy