MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Scatter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months

does anyone have a pug

can you house break these dogs? AT ALL???

this dog poops in the house all the time and it is driving me INSANE. she was outside today, i let her in and she went strait to my room and squirted everywhere. and when i hollar she runs and then there is every where.

i am getting so . i love this dog, but this is getting out of hand and i am beginning to not like her :/:
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
free chinese pug bentgixxer Off Topic 2 09-30-2011 02:09 PM
PUG Breeders??? quEEn B Off Topic 9 10-02-2008 03:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Scatter

that is sick .

this dog is like a cat too. she hides her and i have to use my awesome sniffer to FIND it. i tell you, nothing beats treasure. seriously, i caught her. i walked up as she was pawing a shirt OVER her "treasure".

now, back to my original question. it is possible to house train a pug?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
head shot

Feedback Rating: (0)

i do taxidermy on the side
head shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
motolosjr
los

Bike(s):
2015 NC700
2014 GROM

call the dog whisperer
motolosjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
RinasDaddy
When in doubt, restart!

Bike(s):
10 Speed :(

Dog isn't no joke lol. I remember trying to potty train mines, was everywhere. Places i didnt even know could get
RinasDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
can you house break these dogs? AT ALL???

this dog poops in the house all the time and it is driving me INSANE. she was outside today, i let her in and she went strait to my room and squirted everywhere. and when i hollar she runs and then there is every where.

i am getting so . i love this dog, but this is getting out of hand and i am beginning to not like her :/:
NO! We have our 2nd pug. Why we got another one, I don't know. She was sort of a rescue. Her name is Gidget, but I call her freak dog. She thinks my bed is her personal toilet. If any bedroom doors are open, she will use the bed . Obviously, we allow her limited access. We put a baby gate up to block the upstairs and shut the downstairs master. Also, don't forget to keep closet doors closed!!! We considered finding another home for her, but would not feel right about pushing her off on someone else. I have also considered rubbing steak sauce all over her to encourage my 90#golden retriever to eat her.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Never kept any of our dogs in a crate and they have all trained PERFECTLY. Few accidents in the first couple days but they all learned very quickly(one was even a Boston Terrior). Read some books on dog training, you'll be glad you did later.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

How old is said pug? It is possible, but because he/she is used to going in the house, you have to UNtrain it. Unfortunately, the breed is not easily house trained; but it is possible.

At this stage, crate training may be your best option. It is NOT cruel, as dogs tend to feel that their crate is their safe zone and their bed. The theory is that they won't soil their bed.

I have had great success with doggie doors, also. They are ideal for small dogs, and give the dogs the sense that they don't have to wait or be let out. If you have a yard, try the doggie door first. \

Good luck!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
How old is said pug? It is possible, but because he/she is used to going in the house, you have to UNtrain it. Unfortunately, the breed is not easily house trained; but it is possible.

At this stage, crate training may be your best option. It is NOT cruel, as dogs tend to feel that their crate is their safe zone and their bed. The theory is that they won't soil their bed.

I have had great success with doggie doors, also. They are ideal for small dogs, and give the dogs the sense that they don't have to wait or be let out. If you have a yard, try the doggie door first. \

Good luck!
If we had a doggie door, I believe that gidget would come in just to potty!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Seriously, as long as we limit her access to the downstairs (minus my bedroom!!!), she seldom goes in the house. We do crate her at night, but she goes into the crate on her own when she is tired.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Scatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme2move View Post
NO! We have our 2nd pug. Why we got another one, I don't know. She was sort of a rescue. Her name is Gidget, but I call her freak dog. She thinks my bed is her personal toilet. If any bedroom doors are open, she will use the bed . Obviously, we allow her limited access. We put a baby gate up to block the upstairs and shut the downstairs master. Also, don't forget to keep closet doors closed!!! We considered finding another home for her, but would not feel right about pushing her off on someone else. I have also considered rubbing steak sauce all over her to encourage my 90#golden retriever to eat her.
Cassie was a rescue. we think her privious owner was running a puppy mill :( she is full pug and cost $100. the morning after we got her, her bags were swollen with milk. when we took her to the groomer one of the people started to get onto me for keeping her from her puppies for so long :( i had to explain we got her 2 weeks ago and her milk is trying to dry up. I keep wondering/hoping if those puppies survived

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post

Good luck!
she's 2 and she is crate trained. she wont poo in her crate at all, but as soon as she get out if you are not fast enough to get her outside she will poo in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme2move View Post
Seriously, as long as we limit her access to the downstairs (minus my bedroom!!!), she seldom goes in the house. We do crate her at night, but she goes into the crate on her own when she is tired.
i can get pissy and leave her outside for hours, with her whining at the doors and windows, and as soon as i let her in she makes a beeline to in the house!

it's almost like she prefers to poo in the house...This is our second pug and i remember the first one hated me so she would pee on my rug. She very rarely poo'ed in the house though
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
Candie

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

+1 to crate tranning! It is the best way to house train a dog! Take Jets advise and go buy a crate just big enough for the dog! If you get a large one the dog will just use a corner and you will have defeated the purpose!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):
06 shadow aero - sold, 02 954rr baby!

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearalex
I am no big expert but seemed to me that a lot of folks here give you right advice. I'd agree with Brandy - if your pug is crate trained - keep her in the crate for T hours. Where T is the average number of hours between number twos. (for my dog T=12 - he goes twice a day). At the end of her "time" take her our immediately and dont go back in unless she poops. If she didnt do it right away, you may have to walk her a bit. My doggie usually gets his bowel working after a little walk. After she poops reward her with the treat and put her back in the crate. Repeat for a few days.

1) It is not as cruel as it sounds - dogs are den animals - my dog loves his crate
2) while she is in the crate you can still pick her up - snuggle with her on the couch, play, etc (I assume she wont while snuggling) but then put her back.

Finally, I suspect there might be a dominance issue here. Certainly the case of other person (two pugs) is a dominating case. Your pug pooping in ur bed is trying to tell you that she owns you. She pwns the place where you sleep
Funny but true. You have to teach the pug that she is the noob and you are the one that pwns her.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Scatter

Thanks for advise everyone. i think i will start using her crate more often.

yeah, i agree crate training is not cruel. it is a lot nicer than what i WANT to do to her when i am knee deep cleaning up .
Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

most dogs HATE having their noses rubbed in their poo! If you catch em in the act, CALMLY and firmly rub their face in it and tell em no, then take outside. Praise em whenever they do go outside...

You set the rules.
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #17
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
Thanks for advise everyone. i think i will start using her crate more often.

yeah, i agree crate training is not cruel. it is a lot nicer than what i WANT to do to her when i am knee deep cleaning up .
If you are crate training, you can't just use it sometimes. You have to stick with it until the dog 'gets it' ! Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
If you are crate training, you can't just use it sometimes. You have to stick with it until the dog 'gets it' ! Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Good Luck!
+1, whatever you do be consistent
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #20
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

To house train you need to watch her at ALL times, unless in her crate, until she is trained. It's a pain in the , but it will be much harder if you don't watch her and she runs off in another room. You have to watch at all times and when you see her start sniffing around and giving signs that she's about to go you have to bring them outside and say "Go Potty". When she goes outside immediately reward her with petting, words or better yet treats (we trained our puppy with treats in just a couple weeks). If you don't watch her then she'll get in the habit to go in the house since you can't catch or see her (which seems to be the case already). Don't punish but reward when she does the right thing. Also, I don't know how well crate trained she is but treat her when you put her in her crate and tell her "Go load up, or get in bed" and never stick her in the crate for punishment. You want to teach her that the crate is a safe and comfortable place (our dog gets in his crate even to take naps while we're home and his door is open). That's how you train dogs; reward them immediately after they did the right thing (by you telling/showing them) and they will begin to learn until it becomes a habit later on. If you want to learn more about training either search online or even take her to PetSmart for training once a week for about 45 minutes to an hour.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement