MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #21
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
Press hard there are 4 copies.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for the LEOs on MH ileono918 Off Topic 31 02-25-2013 08:54 AM
LEOs in here: (DPS) ticket question: GAU-8 Off Topic 15 05-22-2010 12:48 PM
question for the leos flyininja Off Topic 35 03-20-2009 09:11 PM
can off duty LEOs stop you while driving? hotcknstrips Off Topic 29 05-14-2007 07:22 PM
any leos on here? rick Off Topic 11 05-26-2006 07:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #23
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Yeah, because passing up an entire medical center and umpteen other hospitals to get to one is a good idea and a true emergency. Besides, you pulled in behind him? How is that harassing and detaining you?
I wasn't making much money then so we signed up for the UT med school in Galveston to deliver our daughter. I had to go there. I pulled behind him because I saw him on the side of the road and didn't want him pulling me over for speeding.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #24
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Call your lawyer. If you don't have one, get one.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Oh, and I would stop posting details of your criminal actions on a public forum.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I wasn't making much money then so we signed up for the UT med school in Galveston to deliver our daughter. I had to go there. I pulled behind him because I saw him on the side of the road and didn't want him pulling me over for speeding.
You didn't have to go there, and you probably know that now, but any hospital will take you and if you don't have the money, the have programs for that (yes, I understand the program you're referring to). I'm not preaching, well, maybe I am a bit, but in my line of work, this is something we run across all the time. People are trained by the insurance companies and their doctors (who should know better but usually don't). , I have had lots of folks that need 911, and call their insurance FIRST because they think they have to.

A diabetic that is well enough to refuse treatment/ transport is not an emergency, but very likely should be transported if they've had an episode where glucose was administered. Diabetics have dangerously low blood sugar episodes (if they're that type of diabetic) all the time. 99% of the time, it's "fixed" with Insta-glucose or IV Glucose (or Glucagon) so that their brain starts to work again. This is temporary, and they need to eat carbohydrates or something (like a peanut butter sandwich) to sustain their levels. After that, most of the time, they're not transported. With recurrent episodes and fluctuation in BGL, usually warrants a visit to their endocrinologist. Their MD should be notified every time they have an episode, especially with medication changes or new onset diagnosis. But most diabetics have episodes and almost every time do not need emergency transport.

A woman who is in labor is not an emergency if they think they should drive an hour or so and pass up a hundred emergency rooms and specialty children's facilities so they can get to one place in particular.

If I were the judge, I would not have dismissed anything, and reprimanded the people that drive an hour and pass up one of the premiere medical centers in the world. But that's just me. I'm not judging anyone or on anyone's decisions- we make the decisions we make at the time we make them and that's all we can do, right or wrong. At least yall were trying to do the right thing for the kid that was coming in to the world.

911 exists so you don't have to put yourself or others in danger. That is what public servants get paid for (unfortunately or not), and that is why they give their lives on a daily basis so you don't have to.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 03-06-2008 at 12:17 PM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
911 exists so you don't have to put yourself or others in danger. That is what public servants get paid for (unfortunately or not), and that is why they give their lives on a daily basis so you don't have to.
And then they send you a bill for over 12X the cost of a speeding ticket.

I see the legal and logical reasons behind calling 911 but I can also see how some people can justify taking the person there themselves with speeding.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
And then they send you a bill for over 12X the cost of a speeding ticket.
Then by all means, feel free to not use it

But if you speed, you're gonna get a ticket, and if the person or persons die ( forbid), it's on your hands when a simple phone call with trained professionals that can do almost anything an emergency room physician can do could respond. Do you realize that a Paramedic is able to perform more medical procedures than an average RN? Did you also know that aside from X-Rays and minor surgical procedures (or major ones) that a Paramedic is going to perform the same type of treatment as an MD in the ER? You don't mind paying the Doctors do you? Besides, if you have medical insurance, the bill shouldn't matter to you

For sure though, exercise your right to not call them. I'm sure it's worth the life of a loved one. Not for me though, I'll pay that bill every single time, my family and friend's lives are worth way more money than I've got.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #29
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
But if you speed, you're gonna get a ticket
not always
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
not always
True, true...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #31
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
For sure though, exercise your right to not call them. I'm sure it's worth the life of a loved one. Not for me though, I'll pay that bill every single time, my family and friend's lives are worth way more money than I've got.
Right and I agree with you.

I was just saying that people have that choice and probably shouldnt be punished for it. That said I know that 90% of the people lie about why they were speeding. Then they are just being an . You know when you were speeding and you know when its not a life threatening emergency and you can't call 911 for whatever reason.

My best friend is a paramedic in Houston and he faces another annoyance: BS calls. Calls for people falling or getting a papercut.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #32
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
something to think about, if you have to go 30mi to get to your mom's house

@ 60mph it'll take 5 min.
@ 90mph it'll take 3.33min,

that ~1.5min you saved prolly ain't gonna make a diff. , but now look at all the hassle. add the police stop and you've lost your speed advantage.

and of course, if you have to go less then 30min, the time savings is even less.
dang, i was gonna call you out on your math, but someone else already did

I was thinking you'd have to go about 360 mph to cover 30 miles in 5 minutes.

...and well, 545 mph to get there in 3.3!

Last edited by hotnanas; 03-06-2008 at 12:54 PM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #33
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Right and I agree with you.

I was just saying that people have that choice and probably shouldnt be punished for it. That said I know that 90% of the people lie about why they were speeding. Then they are just being an . You know when you were speeding and you know when its not a life threatening emergency and you can't call 911 for whatever reason.

My best friend is a paramedic in Houston and he faces another annoyance: BS calls. Calls for people falling or getting a papercut.
Man I hear you. I've been a paramedic and firefighter for over 20 years now. I've been called for hangnails, bruised toes, itchy eyes, boo-boo tummy... you name it.

In the days of communications the way they are, not being able to call 911 is almost a joke.

You should see the amount of calls we get for "car fire" when it's just someone overheated on the freeway. People drive by and call on their cell (not stopping to help or see if there is an actual emergency), which takes a pumper out of service to respond, when there could be someone right around the corner from the station who actually needs 911 for fire or EMS. That's just a small example.

But a woman in labor, with crowning, driving an hour to get to a "preferred" hospital? Not me, not my Wife, not my kid, their lives aren't worth the drive across the City.

Like I said, I'm not bagging on anyone, I'm just trying to show a little insight to some of the things that go on and demonstrate alternatives. Most of the time, people are trying to do the right thing, it's just a lack of knowing what the alternatives or better options are.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #34
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Most of the time, people are trying to do the right thing, it's just a lack of knowing what the alternatives or better options are.
Change most to some and add no common sense to that statement.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #35
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Change most to some and add no common sense to that statement.
Strangely, I was trying to be nice...
Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #36
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Trackdays: 10+

gawd damnit chris, you just dont do to well with cops

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #37
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Dude! if you need to get somewhere in a hurry to save someone's life you need to let your fingers do the walking insurance or no insurance
True... but in the case of, your loved one has 10 minutes to live... and getting there means you could have one last word with them... I'd go 200 mph to get there... but... that's me...
Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #38
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFroze View Post
True... but in the case of, your loved one has 10 minutes to live... and getting there means you could have one last word with them... I'd go 200 mph to get there... but... that's me...
hmm... so you would kill yourself to get there what since does that make?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #39
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

I had a similar instance. My daughter was born with some health problems that made her prone to getting spinal meningitis. The second time we realized she had meningitis, I was at work. My wife called me to tell me she was on her way to the hospital so I left work in a hurry. I was driving a 1993 carburated Mazda B2200 pick up truck. The speedo maxed out at 85mph and I wasn't going but 75, maybe 80 (the truck wouldn't really go any faster due to bad rings), and I got pulled over by a cop in a camaro for doing 85 in a 65. The cop didn't ask why, stop took 5 minutes, I signed the ticket and went on my way. Didn't even try to explain to the judge, did the defensive driving and went on because I was still wrong. Even though my daughter was in the hospital and in bad shape, I was still wrong for speeding and had to accept it.

I'm not saying to let it go or not try to get out of it, but just be prepared to accept it if you have to pay it. As Tom said earlier, we all make decisions based on our best judgement and sometimes we have to face consequences for that judgement whether it was good or bad or right or wrong.

Good luck to you, though, and I hope you get it dismissed!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #40
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFroze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
hmm... so you would kill yourself to get there what since does that make?
200mph doesn't kill.... if so all of the top fuel dragster drivers would be dead
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement