MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









Need help with a power converter

I'm trying to hook up a radio in my room, i have a power converter that converts AC to DC that is going to power my radio....

Now the manual for the radio says make sure the Ground terminal of the DC power supply is grounded....but I don't know how to ground something in my room.....

So how do I?
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with converter for youtube Bounce305 Off Topic 18 03-06-2014 08:22 AM
Electricians, anyone wired up a rotary phase converter here? Fastola Off Topic 16 05-01-2013 01:05 PM
catalytic converter question eric636 Car Forum 18 02-19-2013 09:59 PM
cleaning a catalytic converter? bioGuru Off Topic 56 02-09-2012 10:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksaveme View Post
I'm trying to hook up a radio in my room, i have a power converter that converts AC to DC that is going to power my radio....

Now the manual for the radio says make sure the Ground terminal of the DC power supply is grounded....but I don't know how to ground something in my room.....

So how do I?
The bottom hole in your wall socket, the round one is a ground. How you get it to ground is up to you. It can't and won't shock you in that hole, but thats how I would do it. I would make one out of a three prong plug and re-wire the end on the power converter to leave the ground open for manual attachment from the radio. does that make sense?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









hmmm almost. My converter came with a three-pring plug so I plugged it into my wall. My transceiver came with a red and black wire that are connected to the transceiver obviously and go into their corresponding places in the conveter. Now next to the NEG/POS spots on the converter is a third spot, for the ground I'm assuming.....

Thats where I am at right now...
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksaveme View Post
hmmm almost. My converter came with a three-pring plug so I plugged it into my wall. My transceiver came with a red and black wire that are connected to the transceiver obviously and go into their corresponding places in the conveter. Now next to the NEG/POS spots on the converter is a third spot, for the ground I'm assuming.....

Thats where I am at right now...
I would honestly bypass the converter for the ground and go straight to the ground prong on the converter plug to the wall. It is a more direct clean ground that way. Less of a chance of something shorting out your converter IMO. I was an electrician, and that ground on your wall goes straight to a ground block in your breaker box and straight to the ground outside. Just bypass the converter and be done with it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









Thanks for the help man. Noooowwwwwww...... How do I do that? I am super new to batteries and radios.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Waerloga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Go to EPO on Fondren and 59. They have every type of electronic thing and inverter imaginable.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy