MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

A little help in getting ready for this weekend's MSRH ...

So, all of you veteran MSRHers .... wanna help a noob get mentally prepared for a noob day excursion clockwise(?) through MSRH?

Was just wondering if anyone wanted to go turn by turn what to look for, any particular cues for braking, down shifting and what not. I know it'll be different from person to person, bike to bike, but I think it'll be helpful.

I have an overhead picture of the track ... now just would be nice to get an idea of how to get through it ...

thanks
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike is ready for msrh! SPEED FREAK DECALS SPEED FREAK DECALS 0 11-08-2013 10:00 PM
If Chit is about to go down... get ready to box!!!! MSRH 19th (crash) floyd600 Taking it to the Track 31 05-20-2012 10:03 PM
MSRH last weekend, & GSS the weekend before RojerLockless Taking it to the Track 8 08-06-2010 08:54 PM
MSRH this weekend? maxgs Taking it to the Track 2 03-14-2010 12:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Take your time in the AM, find your marks/clues/whatever..........and go fast in the PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Follow the instructor. You will be put in groups in the morning. Be sure to ask questions. Don't feel a need to keep up if you can't. Don't stress, you'll be fine.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

You'll be fine, don't over-think things. Listen in the rider's meeting, listen to your instructors, and keep in mind, it's FUN!

Trust your tires, trust your brakes... look way through the corners. By the end of the day, you're going to be going twice as fast as you were in the morning without even trying hard. You'll also find a new respect for the instructors working with you, and you should!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
You'll be fine, don't over-think things. Listen in the rider's meeting, listen to your instructors, and keep in mind, it's FUN!

Trust your tires, trust your brakes... look way through the corners. By the end of the day, you're going to be going twice as fast as you were in the morning without even trying hard. You'll also find a new respect for the instructors working with you, and you should!
+1
Old 03-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

just don't be the first guy to go down. it sucks to be that guy.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

feel the force Logan!

Tom hit it. Most importantly, breathe and relax. Stay loose!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Hey Logan5, glad you're coming out to ride with us this weekend. This will be your second trackday right?

Anyway, others posted above some great advice. To add to that, don't rush things. It will come. You will have a lot of instructors at your disposal. Use us. If there's ever something you feel doesn't come easy or doesn't feel right, don't hesitate to bring it up when you meet up with the instructor after that session. Instructors want to answer any and every question for you so you "get it" and do it as safely as possible. Even if it means explaining something three ways/times until it makes sense.

One thing I do suggest is to print out that track map you have and bring it with you so you and your instructor can reference it easily throughout the day.

See ya at the track.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

great advice guys. I have a question to. Does anybody now which way we are running the track? It's my first trackday at MSRH, but will be my 5th trackday overall so I'm still noob to. Also I'm ruinning Pirelli Corsa III and was wanting to know what pressure you guys recommend out there. Especially since it's going to be pretty cool this Sat. I usually run 30f/30r, but was thinking of running 30f/28r since it's cooler.
Thanks for any advice.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
we will be running clockwise gixxerman.

30/30 is usually what i would run for street tires, if anything maybe 30/29. you can adjust throughout the day as you see fit.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

just listen to the instructors and apply what they tell you. watch the line they ride and try to hold that line.

bring some drinks and a chair and maybe something to check ur air pressure with and possibly an air pump.

don't forget to have fun!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #12
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

hey Thomas,

This is a checklist that was pm'ed to me that i have found quite helpful. Woo Hoo I am so ready.

check1a028
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Just try to relax and have some fun! Find one of the instructors to follow the first couple of sessions until you're confident with the lines. Be sure you ask any and all questions you have before and after each session. You'll do great!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
don't put too much thought into it. when you think about it too hard, it makes going out there harder.

you can review the track on a piece of paper all day long.....but when you get out there, it'll be different than you visioned it to be.

especially if you have ridden the track counter clockwise, you think you know the track (thinking in reverse), but you don't. it's going to be a new learning experience. see you out there logan.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Tape up your speedo and write RELAX on it. That's what I did

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

I had a nice writeup for you, but lost it while previewing

learn your line and stick to it, no matter if you are going sllloooww.
then get some confidence in the corners
then get your braking points and entry speed
dont forget to try mid corner adjustments when you feel comfortable.

turn 13 (launch) is the only elevation change, and it came a bit tricky to me. I go real wide and do all braking before turning in, so that I have fewer variables (not braking/turning/elevation drop off)

The Carousel has a few bumps about halfway through and halfway across the pavement, similar to small rumble strips. find out where they are, this helped me to avoid them, and use it for a reference mark. There will be a small, very late apex coming out of the carousel to the new pavement (track change area). This was where I had trouble with my line b/c the carousel is such a long long turn.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #17
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Steptoe View Post
Hey Logan5, glad you're coming out to ride with us this weekend. This will be your second trackday right?

Anyway, others posted above some great advice. To add to that, don't rush things. It will come. You will have a lot of instructors at your disposal. Use us. If there's ever something you feel doesn't come easy or doesn't feel right, don't hesitate to bring it up when you meet up with the instructor after that session. Instructors want to answer any and every question for you so you "get it" and do it as safely as possible. Even if it means explaining something three ways/times until it makes sense.

One thing I do suggest is to print out that track map you have and bring it with you so you and your instructor can reference it easily throughout the day.

See ya at the track.

Yep ... second time at the track for me ... the first time I really did have a lot of fun ... but I really SUCKED.... by that, I mean (in no uncertern terms) that I was an embaressment to the motorcycling community in general. It wasn't the bike, it wasn't my gear ... it wasn't even the really yummy grapes I brought with me. It was simply me ... but ... I did learn a whole heck of a lot about my bike.... so, I'm taking that same bike and gonna give it another go ... but was hoping I could get some quick study tips ahead of time for the track.

Here were my problem areas last time out ...

1) Diamond's Edge ... not sure why but that set of turns just had me totally confused.
2) Down shifting and braking at the same time before a corner ... my brain pretty much simply shut down every time
3) Simply being in the wrong gear ... probably because of the above issue.

Thanks all ... looking forward to having a lot of fun and learning a lot more.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
we will be running clockwise gixxerman.

30/30 is usually what i would run for street tires, if anything maybe 30/29. you can adjust throughout the day as you see fit.
ok great thanks. Wasn't sure if I should lower the tire pressure because of the cool weather. The 30/30 the last track days feels great on my bike at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Just a little about myself for you instructors. My names Larry and I'm a good listerner and fun is the name of the game for me, so I can't wait. I don't take anything to serious and I want my riding position corner entry/exit etc.. to get critiqued by the instructors so I can be a safer/faster rider. So don't worry I not one of the guys that has the attitude. I'm one that nows I have a real fast bike, but I know my bike is way better at taking the curves then I am right now. I'm not to shabby of a rider I don't think since I've been riding for 25 years, mostly tearing it up on the local backroads and on some Bandera Tx. trips, but I am still new to track days. I first went to one last year at GSS and got hooked ever since. I always wanted to ride the track and finally got into a position to do so last year so I'll be a frequent guy you'll see at the various tracks. Anyway I already got my suspenion setup at one on the events at TWS (Texas World Speedway) by the Michlen guy out there. I think Patrick was his name. Very helpful guy and it made a world of difference on my bike. I didn't have to work so hard after the setup and got alot faster from it since I got more comfy on the bike.
Anyway I'm looking forward to meeting alot of the MH guys out there.
See Ya.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #19
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

oh also sorry logan5 I'm not trying to thread jack any. Just adding to your post since I'm a noob to this track to.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
ok great thanks. Wasn't sure if I should lower the tire pressure because of the cool weather. The 30/30 the last track days feels great on my bike at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Just a little about myself for you instructors. My names Larry and I'm a good listerner and fun is the name of the game for me, so I can't wait. I don't take anything to serious and I want my riding position corner entry/exit etc.. to get critiqued by the instructors so I can be a safer/faster rider. So don't worry I not one of the guys that has the attitude. I'm one that nows I have a real fast bike, but I know my bike is way better at taking the curves then I am right now. I'm not to shabby of a rider I don't think since I've been riding for 25 years, mostly tearing it up on the local backroads and on some Bandera Tx. trips, but I am still new to track days. I first went to one last year at GSS and got hooked ever since. I always wanted to ride the track and finally got into a position to do so last year so I'll be a frequent guy you'll see at the various tracks. Anyway I already got my suspenion setup at one on the events at TWS (Texas World Speedway) by the Michlen guy out there. I think Patrick was his name. Very helpful guy and it made a world of difference on my bike. I didn't have to work so hard after the setup and got alot faster from it since I got more comfy on the bike.
Anyway I'm looking forward to meeting alot of the MH guys out there.
See Ya.

^^ sucking up to the instructors LOL

Advertisement