Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #21
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat2002F4i View Post
I work with alot of builders and developers. Centex homes are not rated the best right now. I get more complaints about roof leaks etc. from these builders. Some of the better builders are Plantation homes, Perry, David Weekly. Right now, although no one really knows about it, Pulte has several lawsuits going on due to using substandard siding and not installing it correctly therefore voiding the warranty. Meritage homes just filed for bankruptcy so i wouldn't recommend them either. Hope this information is useful to you... Also, to each is own on new developments. I would prefer an inventory home in a community that JUST built out. you will get a better price as they are just trying to get rid of the houses at that time.
thanks good info, any newish neighborhoods you'd recommend in sugarland? 200k ish

big comfy, then your getting into school districts.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever help with Homes for Humanity? luckyxdevil1 Off Topic 12 10-13-2012 07:07 PM
The Opulent Homes of the 99% the_ruckus The Circus 17 11-04-2011 04:50 PM
Retirement Homes For Former Prostitutes..... kisten Off Topic 9 03-18-2010 10:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #22
wlgorman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
which neighborhood? we were really liking waterside estates, but this one is called fieldstone.

amber, if your buying a 100k home, it's a given there will eventually be unsavory people (in the city), but when your in the 200+ range, do you want to risk loosing property on value on uncertainties?
Winfield Lakes, hwy 6 and ft. bend tollroad. Lots of homebuilders in the neighborhood.

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #23
amber|alexis

Experience: 4 years

Member Garage

I've been looking @ houses online in the houston area...

yeah if I could move my house to houston, it would easily go for $200K. Some of these $275k houses are smaller and older than mine. Just an fyi...

so don't make me feel inferior by saying since I don't have a $200k house @ 24 that I'm not good enough *sniffle*
amber|alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
where/who are your kids going to go to school w/.

being i teach MSF for SBISD, i kinda know the area , the area is nice, but the school district has alot to be desired.

and we can't afford Hedgwick village or piney point, though my cousin lives in hedwick $2.5mil house.
If you're in the right area, then you're zoned to Memorial, since they're a part of the District. I forgot which elementary school we're in, but it's a good one. In fact, SBISD is a very good school district, since they have more money per student than many others. If you live on the western-most section of SB, then those schools are less desirable. I live by Hillshire Grove, and Afton Place on the eastern side of SB.

My daughter goes to a Montessori School, and we plan to send her to a private school, anyway.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #25
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
saw a house we really liked, they are ranked very high on JD Powers list, but was looking for some local reviews

opinions on buying a home in an unfinished neighborhood, maybe only 20% complete.

kinda worried that w/ the housing downturn, there could be alot of empty lots or they could sell out to a "lesser" home and devalue ours if we bought, opinions?
I would be a little nervous about the current construction for many reasons.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #26
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Keep in mind that Memorial, Hillshire Village, Jersey Village, Hedgewick Village, Piney Point, and I think Tanglewood, etc. all fund SBISD.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #27
HoustonRealtor
Formerly known as ZULater

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
KX250
YZ250
CRF450
Pitster X4
R1

Quote:
I work with alot of builders and developers. Centex homes are not rated the best right now. I get more complaints about roof leaks etc. from these builders. Some of the better builders are Plantation homes, Perry, David Weekly. Right now, although no one really knows about it, Pulte has several lawsuits going on due to using substandard siding and not installing it correctly therefore voiding the warranty. Meritage homes just filed for bankruptcy so i wouldn't recommend them either. Hope this information is useful to you... Also, to each is own on new developments. I would prefer an inventory home in a community that JUST built out. you will get a better price as they are just trying to get rid of the houses at that time.
Good information. David Weekly does a great job. Buying in an unfinished subdivision is not a good idea with the market the way it is. GL
HoustonRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #28
Kat2002F4i
Live, laugh, love

Bike(s):
2002 Honda CBR600 F4i

Greatwood is a really nice area to live in. A bit busy. Are you wanting fort bend schools? Or, if you want Katy ISD, Seven meadows is a really nice area to live also.... Lets see, Sugar Land area... Hmmm, you don't want to live in Winfield Lakes. It's on the edge of Fresno and there is alot of gang activity out there and hoodlums running around. That's why the homes are so cheap plus the tax rate is astronomical.... I used to work for the management company that manages that neighborhood and actually used to be the manager of the community. DO NOT GO TO TEAL RUN!!! Riverstone (Mo City) is a gorgeous community and has spectacular homes in the price range that you are looking for.

Here's what I recommend that you do.... Go online to www.inest.com and set up a log in id... From there, do a search in the area that you are interested in and the price range and that will show you the different communities with the price ranges. If you need advice on any community, let me know because i know which ones have a higher or lower tax rate, what is going on with what. You might want to consider Waterside Estates, Waterview Estates, Long Meadow Farms, Aliana, Orchard Lakes, or one of those along the lines.... Let me know if any of this information is helpful and if I can help anymore. I manage homeowners associations so it's my business to know the areas, what the tax rates, assessments, criminal activity, gang activity, etc. for the areas from Cypress to Sugar Land, to Richmond, etc...
Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #29
melissa claire
hardy har har

Bike(s):
a honda and a suzuki

You get what you pay for with location. We could have saved almost 300-400k if we built our house in houston or the surrounding sticks. but in the long run sugarland turned out to be the dream location we had in mind. I would rather own a smaller house in sugarland over a large house in the sticks or houston.
melissa claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #30
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRealtor View Post
Good information. David Weekly does a great job. Buying in an unfinished subdivision is not a good idea with the market the way it is. GL
Good info in general, but as far as most mass-production homebuilders are concerned, keep in mind they are building these boxes at about $55/sf +/-. A cheaply built home is a cheaply built home, and so far all I have seen are cheaply built homes from most of these guys. Being an Architect-Builder, I would never buy one of these homes if I had a choice. Post-tensioned slabs, "cardboard" sheathing, aluminum windows, cheap hardware, mdf trim.... not for me. But then, by virtue of my profession, I'm alot more critical than the average home owner/shopper.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #31
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4i amber View Post
I've been looking @ houses online in the houston area...

yeah if I could move my house to houston, it would easily go for $200K. Some of these $275k houses are smaller and older than mine. Just an fyi...

so don't make me feel inferior by saying since I don't have a $200k house @ 24 that I'm not good enough *sniffle*
Depends on the area sweetie. $300k will get you a pile of rotted wood on 1/16 acre lot in some parts of Houston.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #32
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Greatwood is a really nice area to live in. A bit busy. Are you wanting fort bend schools? Or, if you want Katy ISD, Seven meadows is a really nice area to live also.... Lets see, Sugar Land area... Hmmm, you don't want to live in Winfield Lakes. It's on the edge of Fresno and there is alot of gang activity out there and hoodlums running around. That's why the homes are so cheap plus the tax rate is astronomical.... I used to work for the management company that manages that neighborhood and actually used to be the manager of the community. DO NOT GO TO TEAL RUN!!! Riverstone (Mo City) is a gorgeous community and has spectacular homes in the price range that you are looking for.

Here's what I recommend that you do.... Go online to www.inest.com and set up a log in id... From there, do a search in the area that you are interested in and the price range and that will show you the different communities with the price ranges. If you need advice on any community, let me know because i know which ones have a higher or lower tax rate, what is going on with what. You might want to consider Waterside Estates, Waterview Estates, Long Meadow Farms, Aliana, Orchard Lakes, or one of those along the lines.... Let me know if any of this information is helpful and if I can help anymore. I manage homeowners associations so it's my business to know the areas, what the tax rates, assessments, criminal activity, gang activity, etc. for the areas from Cypress to Sugar Land, to Richmond, etc...
great info. and VERY helpful

waterside estates was our #1 pic, but there are very few homes avail in there. and yeah we wanted N of 59.and FBISD.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #33
infidel
drpickles

we used to wire houses for centex, used to be fox&jacobs. home are cheap and prefabed and walls are pieced together on the site. dont buy one. plantation,dr horton, coventry,trendmaker, and j patrick are the good ones here in houston w. coventry and plantation are owned by the same company MHI also pioneer is one of MHI's lower end houses. jp patrick is by far one of the best builders in houston.
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #34
infidel
drpickles

Quote:
great info. and VERY helpful

waterside estates was our #1 pic, but there are very few homes avail in there. and yeah we wanted N of 59.and FBISD.
your not allowed to move in waterside/pecangrove. ill bring it up in the hoa meeting to ban racerx from moving in.
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement