MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
zixx6r

Feedback Rating: (0)

The rear brake

I was reading an old Motorcyclist magazine (2001) that I found in a bin at work and it had a pretty interesting article about Anthony Gobert's ways of riding fast. Gobert is in Aussie superbike now I think. They used data acquisition to measure the brake pressure and throttle position for both pro superbike racer Gobert and a fast amateur rider for direct comparison at Willow Springs.

The whole article was great, what really struck me was one of Gobert's speed tips was to use the rear brake. Not all the time, but when he really wanted to brake hard and late while carrying corner speed he would use the front and rear linked. I usually just use the front brake, but this got me thinking...I hate the front end diving on me and the rear shooting up when I brake hard with the front discs. Any of you guys routinely using the rear brake at the track?

What has stopped me from using it under hard braking until now is that I have locked up the rear tire in an emergency stop...and that's no fun. I use it when commuting, but backroads or track I dont even bother with it. I have neglected to put good pads or braided lines on the rear brake because I figured it would just lead to more lock-ups. Or would it be a good mod?
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To those who dont use their Rear Brake... TMAX General Discussion (Moto Related) 94 04-22-2015 05:36 PM
Use the rear brake? xtelevisionset General Discussion (Moto Related) 80 06-13-2012 12:59 AM
Use the rear brake? xtelevisionset General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 06-08-2012 01:59 PM
Rear brake too powerful? randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 123 08-02-2009 10:31 AM
Who uses the rear brake? batman007 Taking it to the Track 111 01-31-2008 09:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Re: The rear brake

i quite frequently use my rear brake at the track, it may be a bad habit but, it's how i roll, never had any probs, just lighty get on them though too much and you'll be in trouble.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

using the rear brake is a very sharp double edge sword....use it right, and you'll be faster, use it wrong and you'll be on the ground...........
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
using the rear brake is a very sharp double edge sword....use it right, and you'll be faster, use it wrong and you'll be on the ground...........
+1
Ty Howard talked abot this when I took his school. He said don't worry about it until you start really worrying about shaving partial seconds off your lap times by backing the bike into certain corners.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
i quite frequently use my rear brake at the track, it may be a bad habit but, it's how i roll, never had any probs, just lighty get on them though too much and you'll be in trouble.
me too. i use it on the street all the time but the use the front alot more.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
sshaikh01
The guitar boys

You guys using your rear brakes, what do you guys do?

just enter the turn hot, than tap the rear brake a bit to slow you down??
sshaikh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

i use the rear to slow down and the either roll the throttle through the turn or i just trail brake using the front only.

not tapping, just softly pressing down the rear brake lever or squeezing the front lever. only on the track.

on the street i brake before the turn and throttle all the way through.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Pabst214

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshaikh01
You guys using your rear brakes, what do you guys do?

just enter the turn hot, than tap the rear brake a bit to slow you down??
you dont tap on it, but yes you do use it because you are "hott" into the corner. in any instance when you need to slow down in a hurry you could always use more brake. soooo if you normally just use your front brake, and there was a situation that you had to go a little deeper into a corner to make a pass, you can use the rear brake to make up some for what you just took away in distance on the track by braking later before you turn in.

also, what applying the rear brake does is settle the chassy. ever try to take off in your car with the E brake still on??? the rear of the car squats, same thing on a bike. as you go through the corner by applying the rear it will keep the of the bike down allowing you to not push the front though the corner, it helps bring the front end around. now all of this is a very very technical thing to do, and just like with anything what works for one guy doesnt always work for the other. good luck
Pabst214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:45 AM   #9
speedismo
OCD for speed

everybody s put it down perfect.. but another way of looking at it is about killing bike's momentum. when u use only front brake, ur rear takes longer to loose momentum which means lesser stability. Now using rear alongwith front makes the bike better balanced, by killing momentum simultaneously. (Brandon put it technically above) and also, u wld have got better braking( see the DOT motorcycle handbook, using both together ensures arnd 15-20% shorter stopping distances than while using only front).

now there wld always be people who will say "rear brake, never" but remind them that deceleration is same as braking the rear actually..and everybody decelerates in a turn..isnt it!!

uh and NEVER tapping, in everything motorcycle, being gradual and smooth is the key right:

my .00002 cents!i believe I am right, but u might want to listen to experts if they disagree with me

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Well, I always use the rear brake riding on the street, but in my first track day this past sep 5th, I tried to use it,but since I wasn't that fast, it had a negative effect, I found that using just the front was enough, only when I get faster I'll be needing it, then I may have to do something and make the rear brake less powerful (my bike really stops with the rear, yikes!).

I would 've had to really use the rear brake if TWS (Texas World Speedway) turn 1 wasn't so wide open, it's more like a sweeper, all I do is roll off the throttle to make the turn, even when we were instructed to only pass on the straighaways, i found myself hauling and passing two and three guys at once (the were a little slower) because i had my momentum and didn't wan't to actually use the brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:01 AM   #11
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
everybody s put it down perfect.. but another way of looking at it is about killing bike's momentum. when u use only front brake, ur rear takes longer to loose momentum which means lesser stability. Now using rear alongwith front makes the bike better balanced, by killing momentum simultaneously. (Brandon* put* it technically above) and also, u wld have got better braking( see the DOT motorcycle handbook, using both together ensures arnd 15-20% shorter stopping distances than while using only front).

now there* wld always be people who will say "rear brake, never" but remind them that deceleration is same as braking the rear actually..and everybody decelerates in a turn..isnt it!!

uh and NEVER tapping, in everything motorcycle, being gradual and smooth is the key right:

my .00002 cents!i believe I am right, but u might want to listen to experts if they disagree with me
Your quoting the DOT Motorcycle Handbook in the Racers Lounge? Forget about that thing! They also say never brake in a corner. :dontknow:

Old 09-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChickenStrips
Well, I always use the rear brake riding on the street, but in my first track day this past sep 5th, I tried to use it,but since I wasn't that fast, it had a negative effect, I found that using just the front was enough, only when I get faster I'll be needing it, then I may have to do something and make the rear brake less powerful (my bike really stops with the rear, yikes!).

I would 've had to really use the rear brake if TWS (Texas World Speedway) turn 1 wasn't so wide open, it's more like a sweeper, all I do is roll off the throttle to make the turn, even when we were instructed to only pass on the straighaways, i found myself hauling and passing two and three guys at once (the were a little slower) because i had my momentum and didn't wan't to actually use the brake.
You will eventually use the brakes in T1 as well. right:

Old 09-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody

Your quoting the DOT Motorcycle Handbook in the Racers Lounge? Forget about that thing! They also say never brake in a corner.* :dontknow:
haha.. right.. but it surely stops faster if both brakes r applied together. scientific reason being what i was talking abt killing momentum for the whole of bike, because otherwise the rear of the bike will push up. its all about newton's law of inertia!! right:

Old 09-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #14
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Quote:

You will eventually use the brakes in T1 as well.* right:
lol yeah no kidding... no brakes?!? I can't even imagine what that would be like.

CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Quote:

Your quoting the DOT Motorcycle Handbook in the Racers Lounge? Forget about that thing! They also say never brake in a corner.* :dontknow:
haha.. right.. but* it surely stops* faster if both brakes r applied together. scientific reason being what i was talking abt killing momentum for the whole of bike, because otherwise the rear of the bike will push up. its all about newton's law of inertia!! right:
As Brandon stated... you should not need to do so much braking while the bike is vertical unless you are trying to make a pass by braking deeper.... and this only works well on certain corners. If you are braking and the front of the bike is diving to hard then you need to adjust something.... either your grip on the lever or your suspension. If you are talking about braking to avoid the rear of a car then... you have made a serious error on the track.

The most misunderstood concept of braking at the track is that the brakes are used to slow you down. When in fact, if the brakes are used appropriately you will be faster. That is are lesson for the day on trail braking. Stop by TWS (Texas World Speedway) next weekend to see all of this in action. right:

Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

But, ultimately if you are getting around the track faster then everyone else. You are probably doing something right. right:

Old 09-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #17
speedismo
OCD for speed

u r right. no doubt. but point is, front will still dive, WATEVER be ur suspension settings.. maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more. also depends on the rider. if u r too aggressive, then u will always be braking late, to shave time off. which means braking hard. but yh, definitely agree with ur " braking is not for slowing down, but for going faster". will keep that in mind. and i m gonna be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on 30th, most probably. maybe i can do a few laps behind u and learn a few things.. that is if u r in group B!

and who says i m getting around the track faster than everyone else. no way, i m slow. all u guyz r faster than me, some muchas faster! maybe u meant it for Gianni or Brandon

Old 09-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #18
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
u r right.* no* doubt. but point is, front will still dive, WATEVER be ur suspension settings.. maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more. also depends on* the rider. if u r too aggressive, then u will always be braking late, to shave time off. which means braking hard. but yh, definitely agree with ur " braking is not for slowing down, but for going faster".* will keep that in mind. and i m gonna be at TWS (Texas World Speedway)* on 30th, most probably. maybe* i can do a few laps behind u and learn a few things.. that is if u r in group B!

and who says i m getting around the track faster than everyone else. no way, i m slow. all u guyz r faster than me,* some muchas faster! maybe u meant it for Gianni or Brandon
I am slow.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:46 AM   #19
05cbreezy636
lean with it

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
05 636 track