MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
1fasthyundai

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
05 GSXR-1000

Send a message via AIM to 1fasthyundai Send a message via Yahoo to 1fasthyundai
should I get a "newer" bike?

I'm thinking of getting a newer bike (I have a 1998 GSXR 750) a coworker brought his 07 GSXR 1K and I loved it. I am not thinking of getting anything more powerful just a newer model probably another 750 or maybe even going down to a 600. The bike I have now is paid off and running perfectly. If i got a new one it would have to be financed do you guys think it would be worth it to get a new one?
1fasthyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a re-post? "Fastest" MotoGP full length documentary sequel to "Faster". eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-27-2011 10:23 AM
Good Bye "Habeas Corpus", Hello "Enemy Belligerent Act of 2010" CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 70 03-12-2010 03:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

if you like your current bike and it runs good, NO.

The older sportbikes IMO make better streetbikes than the newer ones. Why waste your money, ride yours untill it is done!
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
an 07 600 will have alot more peformance than a 98 750, so as far as not wanting more power, the newer bike is going to have it regardless.

if your 98 is in good condition, keep it. keep it another 20 years at least. every new gsxr is just a classic waiting for its time.

plus if you dont have a solo cap get one. SRAD's have the sexiest tails. nothing cooler than meeting all kinds of people who know a little (but not alot) about bikes asking you if its a busa. happened to me at least twice a week.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
If it will make you happy, get rid of that thing and get you something nice and modern.
And t dubya please elaborate on why older bike make better streetbikes then newer ones. I'm curious to know

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
If it will make you happy, get rid of that thing and get you something nice and modern.
And t dubya please elaborate on why older bike make better streetbikes then newer ones. I'm curious to know
IMO older sportbikes (for the most part) make better streetbikes than the newer ones because typically-----

More relaxed ie comfortable seating position and ergonomics

More relaxed frame geometry (like head tube angle), bike may not turn in as quickly but may be more stable

Ussually less top end hp but more midrange torque and horsepower...

Just not quite as agressive and focused, maybe not as good for the track, but much easier to live with on a day to day basis for street riding!

my 2 cents, spend money on gear and trackdays rather on the bling bling new bike. Better to be able to go fast and look slow, than look fast and go slow!
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
You make good points but I guess it all comes down to the rider's intentions with the bike. Could also build credit with the new (bling bling) bike. That's what I'm doing. I'd rather have a newer bike that was built better for the track and aggressive riding then learn/ride on an older one. My pocket change of course.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

no sense in going into debt behind a depreciating asset. new bikes are lose value as bad as new cars. you can get a 1 - 2 year old bike for a lot less with the same performance. most people get new bikes just because they thinks theirs looks old or outdated. why go into finance a bike just b/c of what someone else thinks?

i hate the term build credit. you need credit for 1 thing. a home, nothing more.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
rideForrestride

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
no sense in going into debt behind a depreciating asset. new bikes are lose value as bad as new cars. you can get a 1 - 2 year old bike for a lot less with the same performance. most people get new bikes just because they thinks theirs looks old or outdated. why go into finance a bike just b/c of what someone else thinks?

i hate the term build credit. you need credit for 1 thing. a home, nothing more.
+1...if you want a newer model bike, save first then pay cash. You never get a good deal when you have to finance. I have an older model bike also, but it's still a blast to ride and most people can't even tell it's 8 years old.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement