MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #81
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by del240z View Post
And I understand henry, very valid point. But I mean, why not write them a ticket for 68 in a 60, instead of 80 in a 60? :/:
i see where you're going my man... but that is a question you can never have an answer to...

even if you tell the lawyer to tell the judge that you were going 68... all that's going to happen is the judge MAY reduce the fine... dunno...

if 80 is on the ticket, that's what the officer is going to testify to...

from a defendant POV it's just better to put yourself in a damage minimalization frame of mind...

- how many tickets has sb had in the last three years
- can they get deferred/probation/suspended sentence

it may even be possible to dismiss depending on the lawyer...

but as for a direct answer... forget about it...

and unless his bike had a gps that was recording true ground speed for the entire duration of his trip... AND a judge rules the gps logs as admissable evidence...

again... better to focus on the lawyer...

it may sound unjust... but again... by their own admission they were speeding...

so anything beyond that is just arguing semantics...

you have to PROVE that you WEREN'T speeding... then... and only then... do you have a case...

anything else... plead it out... and move on...

not trying to be caddy... it's just like i said... i've gotten well over 30 tickets over the years... and only had 1 stick... three years ago out of all of them...

there's different tricks/strategies sure... but in this case... with it being task force cars...

best bet = postpone as far forward as possible & focus on the lawyer...

(just my 2c)...
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Deal on Aeros Tickets (Cheap Hockey Tickets) DvlRacer Off Topic 7 12-23-2010 09:35 PM
!! cops, cops, cops... floyd600 Off Topic 6 11-05-2010 10:19 AM
OMFG I got a tickets cops please help!! Pyrofallout Off Topic 28 03-06-2009 10:47 AM
one for GB, Cops chasing Cops RACER X Off Topic 11 02-16-2009 01:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #82
randomwalk101

one sided story...i don't know...but from reading your orig post, I think I'm on the cop side here...you obviously did not learn the lession given.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #83
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #84
andre3k
I see dead people...

I was trained to reduce the speed on tickets. I dont write till 13 over.

If someone is doing 75 in a 60, I write 70 in a 60. If a defense attorney tries to throw up some lame defense about cosine error (which is in the violators favor), then all I have to say is that I clocked his defendant at a higher speed but did give a break to account for any possible errors.

I personally don't have a reason to write a higher speed than what I clock. Don't know why anyone else would either. But hey, thats just me.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #85
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4i amber View Post
laurie is a cop freakin' magnet! Remind me not to ride with her

And here I was thinking - OH NO! NOT Laurie Again!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #86
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

thanks for your input guys and well, um i guess i can call you ladies... and Andre3k for your point of view. I know i was in the wrong for slightly speeding.... not 80, so i'd man up and pay a lower speed and not said a word about it... one of the things that just irked me was the way the one cop got in Steve's face and started lecturing him... that is not thier job to do. The other almost ran into mala trying to hurry her off the road... but those 3 that stopped were very professional in the way they treated us after the stop and even apologized (in a way) for the way the first cop was acting. Live and learn... what i have learned... is if i see that again with just one car trying to follow 3 of us... i'll split up the group. I'm NOT saying to run due to the fact that he was not chasing us... just leave the situation.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #87
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 shadow aero - sold, 02 954rr baby!

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearalex
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
you are basing this on a factory speedo, that has never been calibrated. any vehicle that use to pace vehicles has to be calibrated every year.

anyway I'm done with it. Hire Paul Kubosh and set it for a jury trial. Hopefully he will know the officer and they'll work out a "deal."

Heres that "deal".

We get paid OT for any off-duty court appearances. Just like any other job we expect to get paid to come to work when we are off.

I get paid if the case gets dismissed, if you lose, I win, it dont matter. We make the money based on time, not the cases. Most officers could care less about who wins the case. I dont.

So you hire your atty. An officer may be really cool with your attorney, or most of the regular players in traffic court. (Kubosh, Sprecher, Gonzalez, etc).
You atty agrees to hold your case till after lunch, so the officer will most likely get his 6-7-8 hrs of Court OT. then towards the end of the day when the officer and atty are tired and have made enough money, you deal is magically worked out or dismissed.

People think they have these so called "good lawyers", when in fact its all a game. The officers make money, your lawyer makes money, and you get ****ed. the lower income get ****ed even more.
So fight it in court, everyone will make money on it except for you.
Thank you, Sir! I suspected all along that the ticket "game" is actually a profit for all - lawyers, cops, judges etc... Mark asked me once whether i think cops get paid bonuses. Obviously not. That would be too direct and inappropriate. But it is still a "game". And it shouldn't be. Cops should be there for our protection and we (society) have to pay them adequately just for that.

1) A ticket should be looked at as deterrent of dangerous/unsafe behavior, not as a means of profit...
2) cops should get paid well enough and they shouldn't have financial incentive to write tickets (overtime or whatever other "intangibles" there may be)
3) cops should really be after protecting our safety! I.e. watch out for really dangerous behavior and dangerous speeds etc.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 AM   #88
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
i didn't create the municipal court system. I've never written a ticket to anyone who didn't deserve it.

So no , I'm not f'ing over anybody. I'm out here trying to make money and do my job like anyone else on here.
Your question really should be addressed to city council, not me.
Thank you again for writing only deserving tickets. I believe you that you do.
If you see me going 100mph - def pull me over, i will probably thank you later, although may not be immediately.

As for the making money, well like i said, i think you should be paid more, and no overtimes for courts. Giving a ticket should be completely financially-neutral transaction to the cop.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #89
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
ok then...

well racerx msf aside, i for one would like to thank andre3k for taking the time to tell (very accurately) how things are downtown...

as a person who has gotten out of 30+ tickets over the years - believe me when i tell you that andre3k really IS just telling it like it is... (so don't shoot the messenger)

the details of THIS case aside sb, i still think your best bet is just to get a lawyer and wait for your day in court...

because out of all the pages we we type here, ultimately none of it matters as much as having a good lawyer...

thanks again andre3k... i'm sure there are a lot of riders who have learned something from all this...

good luck again to sb, mala and the other rider...
yeah I certainly thank him for his honesty. I think it also shows his allegiance to us the MH folks.

moreover i think the message from all of this is the following:
cops should be paid more. and a ticket should not be a financial game, rather it should be safety "encouraging" mechanism.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:25 AM   #90
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
thanks for your input guys and well, um i guess i can call you ladies... and Andre3k for your point of view. I know i was in the wrong for slightly speeding.... not 80, so i'd man up and pay a lower speed and not said a word about it... one of the things that just irked me was the way the one cop got in Steve's face and started lecturing him... that is not thier job to do. The other almost ran into mala trying to hurry her off the road... but those 3 that stopped were very professional in the way they treated us after the stop and even apologized (in a way) for the way the first cop was acting. Live and learn... what i have learned... is if i see that again with just one car trying to follow 3 of us... i'll split up the group. I'm NOT saying to run due to the fact that he was not chasing us... just leave the situation.
Why did all of you stop? Im not asking why didnt you run. Just asking if all of you were directed to stop.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #91
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
I dont know where yo got this from but I'll clear it up for ya. Usually when one officer witnesses a violation and another officer writes the ticket the officer that actually witnesses the violation testifies at trial. The small box in the lower left corner of a COH ticket is where the witnessing officer info goes. it may not be on your copy as sometimes the info is written on the original not the pink copy that you get.

Secondly, a DA will never prosecute a traffic ticket. DA's are Class B and above. The city has prosecutors that handle the Class C cases.

Thirdly nothing will be thrown out until you actually go to trial. The officers that are heavy hitters and write a lot of tix always show for court.

Last, since the witness that actually saw you commit the violation will be the one to testify in court makes the event direct evidence, not circumstantial.
Law and Order

I Win
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #92
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix600 View Post
Why did all of you stop? Im not asking why didnt you run. Just asking if all of you were directed to stop.
Directed to stop? I was forced over to the side of the road. :/: I think Steve was too, but I was too distracted to see. We were over towards the right side of 610 when the three other officers showed up. I did see an officer point left to direct us to the median, but before I could really begin to safely make the lane changes, it seems the one was already using his car to herd me over. Brett and Steve were able to slow down and get over quicker than I was, and I guess the officer who was following me decided I was taking too long or something. He was close enough that I could have stuck my right foot out and tapped the squad car. With four cars at their disposal, it would have been much safer had they used their cars to slow traffic while one of them was up with us to give directions.The whole mess created a lot of confusion for the traffic around us.

I was behind Brett and Steve, and I first became aware of the officer in the Impala because he was driving so close behind me. Eventually, he pulled over to the right beside me, and when I looked over, all I percieved was a nut job in an old beater waving his hands like a lunatic. Had I been alone, I would have done what I normally do when nutjobs pull up next to me, downshift and away I go. If I ever get a ticket for speeding because I felt the need to get away from a weirdo, so be it. It's the lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned.

He was behind us for miles before the other officers showed up, so there was no indication that we were about to bolt. Sure, we could have broken away from the original officer because the traffic was too thick for him to follow, but we didn't--nor would I ever do that anyway. Once I realized who he was, I figured we'd just recieved the "finger wag" which is what I sometimes get when an officer pulls next to me and I'm going 5-7 miles over the speed limit. Honest to , it never even crossed my mind that we were about to enact a scene from Cops. The situation seems analogous to using a cattle prod on someone for swiping a couple of your french fries. :/:
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #93
Candie

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
Directed to stop? I was forced over to the side of the road. :/: I think Steve was too, but I was too distracted to see. We were over towards the right side of 610 when the three other officers showed up. I did see an officer point left to direct us to the median, but before I could really begin to safely make the lane changes, it seems the one was already using his car to herd me over. Brett and Steve were able to slow down and get over quicker than I was, and I guess the officer who was following me decided I was taking too long or something. He was close enough that I could have stuck my right foot out and tapped the squad car

That would have freaked me out and severly me off! As a female rider you wouldn't believe some of the we have to put up with on the roads! I would have prolly been arrested cause I sure would have tlod him a thing or three! That is unsafe and uncalled for!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #94
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

with the bad rap that metric riders have given themselves and others in Houston, there is NO way you will fight and win that ticket.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #95
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
with the bad rap that metric riders have given themselves and others in Houston, there is NO way you will fight and win that ticket.
I kinda agree with this statement.... think they prolly could win but with all the jackasses that do warp speed on public roads and weave in and out of traffic and freeway whoolie it is no wonder all of us don't get effed with more often. the sportbikers of today are looked at like the harley riders of the 70's... scum and trouble makers so you boys and girls CYA.....
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #96
d01t1nthedrt
bigballiiinn

Bike(s):
CRF100f (saving for a street bike)

steve doesnt look very hardcore to me....
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #97
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by d01t1nthedrt View Post
steve doesnt look very hardcore to me....
he is a lot more hardcore in person!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #98
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
thanks again andre3k... i'm sure there are a lot of riders who have learned something from all this...

good luck again to sb, mala and the other rider...
+1

I appreciate Andre3K telling us how it is... (I too have received my share of tickets (and it's worth the money for the lawyer vs higher insurance rates).... and always wondered how come I was always last...

Now I know.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #99
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearalex View Post
he is a lot more hardcore in person!
lol... softpornsteve FTW!
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #100
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
lol... softpornsteve FTW!
ah come on give him a break - the guy just got a ticket... who'd look hardcore during being "eF-ed" in the "A" by a cop?

Advertisement