MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Anyone know this bike?

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Prolly not much wrong with it. rc51's are getting harder to sell. at this point in time a new 600 will run as fast around the track as the rc will.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I've looked at the ad several times but the stock suspension was a turn off and a grumpy bald dude mentioned that these do not crash well.
If i'm not mistaken he has already lowered the price to high 4's or low 5's fyi.

GL
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Yeah, what the good witchdoctor said.

There's likely nothing wrong with the bike, they're good bikes and are fun/ easy to ride.

Nobody races these any more, parts are not as easy to find, and they really don't have the power of the newer bikes to be competitive price wise or performance wise.

Personally, I like them a lot, but they are too expensive for what they are. RC51s have a cult type following like the first gen VFRs, and the owners are very proud of them.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
Prolly not much wrong with it. rc51's are getting harder to sell. at this point in time a new 600 will run as fast around the track as the rc will.
But the 600's don't sound as cool.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

I'm considering it for track days only. Then I could quit worrying about crashing the daytona. Not competetive is OK, neither am I. Doesn't crash well seems to fit too, I don't crash well either at my advanced age. I'm sure Patrick can take care of the suspension for me. This is sounding better all the time. Yes, the price has been lowered. I probably better go take a look.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

I know the guy selling that bike. I ride w/ him frequently. He just told me yesterday that he has it tenatively sold to a guy in Dallas. AFIK he is trailering it up there today for the guy to give it a final once over, and if all is fine w/ the buyer, it will be sold.

Do you want me to let you know if it is still available?

As far as the RC51 goes for a trackbike, it's a blast. If you want to race (competitively), it is not the best choice. If you want the most affordable bike to track, it's not the best choice. If you want to get the most treadlife from your tires, it's not the best choice. However, heavyweight twins have a certain X factor that cannot be described. The RC51 would be a good choice for just a fun, all-around track bike because, of the heavyweight twins (Ducati 996/998/999/1098, Aprilia Mille, Suzuki TL & Honda RC51), the RC51 is the most affordable of those to track. And she's dead reliable. Parts are not too rare (yet).

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
never hurts to look...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post

Do you want me to let you know if it is still available?

I just sent out an email to him before I saw your response. Looks like once again, I'm a day late and a dollar short.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
....of the heavyweight twins (Ducati 996/998/999/1098, Aprilia Mille, Suzuki TL & Honda RC51), the RC51 is the most affordable of those to track. And she's dead reliable. Parts are not too rare (yet).

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

+1 to DH's post. If you like that type of bike (liter sized twins), I would strongly suggest the SV1000 to you.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
+1 to DH's post. If you like that type of bike (liter sized twins), I would strongly suggest the SV1000 to you.
I like the twins but haven't seen many for sale. I really want to find something reasonably priced that is already set up for the track. That way I can spend money on trackdays rather than plastics, rear sets, sliders, yadda yadda yadda.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
I like the twins but haven't seen many for sale. I really want to find something reasonably priced that is already set up for the track. That way I can spend money on trackdays rather than plastics, rear sets, sliders, yadda yadda yadda.
Keep on eye on the Speedzilla classifieds. Speedzilla is the highest traffic RC-51 site on the net.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Also, not sure how much you now about RC51s, but 2002 & up are mechanically identical. So keep that in mind in your search. The only differences were paint scheme. The 00 & 01s are still very good bikes. The "updates" done to the RC51 in 2002 were mostly to make it a better "street" bike. The 02 & up models have a tad more top end HP (2 or 3) but the 00 & 01s have slightly better mid-range. Rear swingarm is different on 02 & ups as well. You might run across a 00 or 01 w/ an 02 & up swingarm conversion as it is a pretty popular mod.

Let me know if you have any other questions about year model differences.

Also one more thing to know iis many guys will refer to 00 & 01 RCs as an "SP1" and 02 & up RCs as an "SP2". These are European terms, but make for easy identification between the 2 groups.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Then I would be remiss if I didn't steer you toward the potent track steed of the SV650.

Coincidentally, I have a friend that is thinking of selling his '05 SV with under 5k miles, 3 track days, Ohlins shock, Race Tech front end, never crashed, Vortex rearsets, Vortex clipons, and Vortex fairing stay, + all the stock stuff (lights, fairings, etc) that is in "as new" shape for ~$5k!

Anyway, there are LOTS of good former race bikes out there to choose from. You can't go wrong with a '01-03 GSXR 600/ 750, and they're very plentiful and easy to find parts for. You can steal one of those bikes for (usually) under $3k.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Also, not sure how much you now about RC51s, but 2002 & up are mechanically identical. So keep that in mind in your search. The only differences were paint scheme. The 00 & 01s are still very good bikes. The "updates" done to the RC51 in 2002 were mostly to make it a better "street" bike. The 02 & up models have a tad more top end HP (2 or 3) but the 00 & 01s have slightly better mid-range. Rear swingarm is different on 02 & ups as well. You might run across a 00 or 01 w/ an 02 & up swingarm conversion as it is a pretty popular mod.

Let me know if you have any other questions about year model differences.

Also one more thing to know iis many guys will refer to 00 & 01 RCs as an "SP1" and 02 & up RCs as an "SP2". These are European terms, but make for easy identification between the 2 groups.
Thanks for the info. Most of what I know is from reading about them. The thing I like most is they sound like a Duc but have Honda reliability and operating costs.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

just know that you will eat through tires like no tomorrow on a rc, it gets poor fuel mileage and is slightly top heavy. They are VERY stable to ride and crash well IF you have sliders on them. They have wonderful brakes from the factory and only get better if upgraded and like mentioned before are dead reliable.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Then I would be remiss if I didn't steer you toward the potent track steed of the SV650.

Coincidentally, I have a friend that is thinking of selling his '05 SV with under 5k miles, 3 track days, Ohlins shock, Race Tech front end, never crashed, Vortex rearsets, Vortex clipons, and Vortex fairing stay, + all the stock stuff (lights, fairings, etc) that is in "as new" shape for ~$5k!

Anyway, there are LOTS of good former race bikes out there to choose from. You can't go wrong with a '01-03 GSXR 600/ 750, and they're very plentiful and easy to find parts for. You can steal one of those bikes for (usually) under $3k.
Thanks Tom. I really appreciate the advice of one who has been there and done that. I have considered the SV650 but my honest concern is that after stepping down from the ZX-14 to the 675, another step down to the 650 twin might be a disappointment. I suppose I should ride one before making conclusions. I have a buddy who might be willing to make that happen. He bought one for his son and it is track ready. He has offered his ZX10 to me before so I imagine I could get a session on the 650.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Most of what I know is from reading about them. The thing I like most is they sound like a Duc but have Honda reliability and operating costs.
So does the SV. My favorite moments have been on track with my $3k SV, passing a Ducati 748/9... good times...

Being a 60* V, with an aftermarket carbon fiber exhaust, it's hard to tell the difference in the sound of the Ducati, SV or Aprilia.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

are you worried about top end or corner speed? cuz SVs have all your previous bikes beat in corner speed. try it you'll like it!

i just want an RC cuz it's a cam driven V, like the VFR

mmmmm

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/hon...rc51-sale.html
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement