Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

going track only..

so ive been riding for about two years now on my r6 and i still love it. I like riding street but the roads all suck and its way dangerous. I love riding with buddies but i want to make it a track bike, i really think id enjoy it. I just got my tax return and am buying leathers and doing some maint. on the bike.... So my question is, my bike has about 17k on it. Is this a bad move? should i just keep it off the track? What kind of things should i replace, adjust besides fluids? I got new 2cts, chain, sprockets, plugs, and filter, have always kept fresh oil. I would greatly appreciate some feedback from some exp. people before i go and blow my 1,600. THANKS
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

If you want to try it for a minimal expense, rent/borrow leathers and hit up a track day. There are rental companies.

Have your bike looked over by a good shop (Motorcycles Unlimited) and tell them what you intend to do. Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited won't do you wrong. At least have him set up the suspension, they do an AWESOME job for $25.

Go to a NOOB day or a track day that has a beginners group.

The cost of the track day is a given, estimate 150-200. You have to try a track day to see if you will like it.

The cost of renting leathers is about 70 (i think, don't quote me I've never rented) vs. buying hoping you like them/track riding. Of course, if you ride the twisties aggressively, a two piece suit with full circumference zipper might be a good investment anyway.

A lot of people switch from road to track. You are already considering it and you haven't been on the track yet. You have a great bike for the track already.

Do one track day with borrowed or rented leathers and see how you feel.

98% of the people who ride the track will tell you the same thing. You are done for. You have already started down the wonderful slippery slope that is track addiction. Welcome to the club, I'll see you at the track.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
texastrackdays
GET ON THE RIGHT TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
If you want to try it for a minimal expense, rent/borrow leathers and hit up a track day. There are rental companies.

Have your bike looked over by a good shop (Motorcycles Unlimited) and tell them what you intend to do. Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited won't do you wrong. At least have him set up the suspension, they do an AWESOME job for $25.

Go to a NOOB day or a track day that has a beginners group.

The cost of the track day is a given, estimate 150-200. You have to try a track day to see if you will like it.

The cost of renting leathers is about 70 (i think, don't quote me I've never rented) vs. buying hoping you like them/track riding. Of course, if you ride the twisties aggressively, a two piece suit with full circumference zipper might be a good investment anyway.

A lot of people switch from road to track. You are already considering it and you haven't been on the track yet. You have a great bike for the track already.

Do one track day with borrowed or rented leathers and see how you feel.

98% of the people who ride the track will tell you the same thing. You are done for. You have already started down the wonderful slippery slope that is track addiction. Welcome to the club, I'll see you at the track.
+1. Texas Track Bikes will rent you some leathers.. and come on out to our MSR-H and or our grandsport event in March... www.texastrackdays.com... we have a novice school you can go through for free... see how you like it.. just tape up your lights and have a blast.
texastrackdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

^^ that's perfect!

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
my advice, buy your own leathers and gear....they can be used on and off the street. i wouldn't ride with anything less.

if you're unsure, you can rent the leathers/boots/gloves from Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited for $100. that $100 also goes towards your purchase of a new suit if you choose to buy one.

as for converting over to track only.....it can get expensive, there are few ways to budget, like cornerwork for track time. but in the end, it's still expensive. the faster you get, the more money you spend, plain and simple. try it out, see if it's for you before making a decision to just go track only. i'm sure we all know what your decision will be....but you never know, you could be that 1% that doesn't like it.

i started riding "track only" about may of last year....haven't regretted it since. even if i can only ride 1 or 2 times a month for a whole day.....it's a fckin blast and i enjoy every minute of it.

ride your bike the way it is, just tape up the lights, and get your suspension setup. you'll be good to go. 17k is not too shabby.....you'll do just fine.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

+1 on Tony's and Mike's comments.

Your bike would be fine for track days or racing, and you're on the right track with gear. If you're going to buy it, buy really good stuff and don't skimp! It's only your skin or internal organs or brain we're trying to protect...

My personal opinion is about the same as Tony's. Do a couple of track days with your current steed, but if you decide to go racing, I'd get a bike that is a couple years old and is already race prepped. It's a LOT cheaper to do that than spending the cabbage to build your own race bike. Reputable racers will have good maintenance on their bikes, and you will get a great deal most of the time. If you decide you are addicted (and you will), you can always sell your current street bike... which would be advisable... 'cause you'll need the money to keep hitting the track pipe!

As mentioned, you can rent leathers at www.trackleather.com. I'd stay away from renting or borrowing a bike though (there are racers and a company around that rent their stuff, some will let you borrow their bikes), that can end up costing you big if you toss it. If you toss the leathers though, your deposit and rental payment will go toward the purchase of them, and they'll have lots of crashes left in them after that!

Make sure your insurance (health and bike) are up to date, and cover you for track riding.

Sign up for the school and beginner level at whatever event you go to; some of them have valuable information.

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Lots of fun and a huge amount to be learned.........
Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Visit www.lstd.com
They are having an event this Monday.
Rent/buy your gear, tape up the bike and have some fun.
The instruction at a LSTD is second to none, and A LOT of Motohouston peeps will be there so you will have plenty of people to hang with while in the pits. The bench racing in the pits is one of my favorite times. Riding for me has always been about meeting new people and having fun on my bike. Everyone seems to help out more at the track.

Hope to see you at Texas World Speedway.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
Ridesmart

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

I would also say, if there is a piece of equipment you do not want to be cutting corners on, it is the gear you wear. All it takes is for it to do its job once, and you will find out why.

As to leathers rentals, I do not want to speak for all organizations, but pretty much all of them have leathers rentals. If you want to rent, they will all have a set for you. May not be a great fit, but it will be a fit. That is one reason people say bring your own. I would advise on your own as well for hygienic reasons if anything else. If you do not mind that, hey, go nuts, but make sure the fit is good for your body.

Regarding going track only - way to go. Great decision.
I would suggest go to each riding organization web site, and browse through it to to get information on them, and to see what their schedules and prices are. Not a bad idea to try a couple before you settle down on one you prefer.

Good luck, whatever you do.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrackdays View Post
+1. Texas Track Bikes will rent you some leathers.. and come on out to our MSR-H and or our grandsport event in March... www.texastrackdays.com... we have a novice school you can go through for free... see how you like it.. just tape up your lights and have a blast.
Can you elaborate on this please?
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #11
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
i think he meant...

the novice (noob) school is included into the trackday fee at no additional cost.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #12
YZFracer212

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 SV 1000 ~ Street, 2000 SV 650 ~ track, 2007 RMZ 250 ~ MX, 2003 CRF 88 ~ play

Send a message via AIM to YZFracer212
the school is influded in your track day, so its free with purchase of track day lol
YZFracer212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
YZFracer212

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 SV 1000 ~ Street, 2000 SV 650 ~ track, 2007 RMZ 250 ~ MX, 2003 CRF 88 ~ play

Send a message via AIM to YZFracer212
hop beat me to it
YZFracer212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #14
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

I like the way he made it sound better....
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #15
Brandon

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
From the website..

Quote:
Novice Ė N Group

If you have no prior MOTORCYCLE track experience you MUST register in this group, NO EXCEPTIONS. Designed for street riders and Novice track riders, this group provides valuable on-track and classroom training.

Novice group receives 1 instructor for every 3 students
  • Receives class room and on-track instruction and critiquing of on-track skills
  • Instructors will accompany riders on all track sessions
  • Your instructor will supervise all passing
During your classroom and on-track sessions you will learn the "racing line", proper use of the throttle, braking, gear changes and selection as well as basic cornering techniques and body positioning.

We are aware that many riders chose the Novice group multiple times, and this is why we divide the Novice group into several sub-groups based on skill level. The pace is "comfortable". Everyone rides at his or her own pace with an emphasis on fun and learning.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #16
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

You will gain ALOT from TexasTrackDays NOOB group because you're allowed to progress at YOUR OWN PACE. Just my biased opinion...

You're not forced to ride with people not on your skill/comfort level, which I think is important... faster people would be bored, slower folks would be scared.

One of my guys wasn't quite up to speed with the others (running wide and messing up lines), so we slowed down to a pace where he could actually learn something. Later on, I got with two other guys who just needed to learn the track and its lines, then it was off to intermediate group for them!

Whatever your level, there will be an instructor there with you to get you going!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #17
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Come out to th trck and check it out. FYI it's more addicting than <insert current addiction>

The most important part of this is not what org/track etc... you go to but that you come with your ego in check and you remember to have fun!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #18
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

thank you all very much, you all helped answer some questinos that i didnt even ask and were helpfull. hope to see you all soon!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

hope to see you and blackula on the track sometime soon

Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I think Im slowly making my bike track only...... not much else left to do....lol