MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Swift E
Senior Member
 
Swift E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 11,046

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675









What type of drill bit?

What type of bit should I use to drill out broken screws?
I have some bits here at the house but I don't know if they'll do the job.
__________________
obama1
I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drill press anyone? RACER X Off Topic 37 06-08-2015 06:19 PM
Square Drill Bit Vegas Kid Off Topic 11 10-07-2011 07:17 PM
borrow a hammer drill Grinchy Off Topic 26 09-02-2011 10:34 PM
M/C drill teams... Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-29-2009 05:21 PM
Need 13/64 drill bit tonyt915 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 02-07-2009 02:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Warpbender
warped and bent
 
Warpbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hockley, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,717

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)



Member Garage


Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...yword=easy+out
__________________

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
navigator
Senior Citizen
 
navigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,109

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid






Standard hi speed drills (hardware store quality) work for most screws. If the screw is grade 8 or better or work hardened use solid carbide but run it very slow and carefully. The carbide cutting edges break very easily.
__________________
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





use an eaze out...
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Swift E
Senior Member
 
Swift E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 11,046

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675









Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
use an eaze out...
Thats what I need! Anyone got an eaze out I can use?
__________________
obama1
I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
Thats what I need! Anyone got an eaze out I can use?
I do but I am too far away. If I were you I would got to sears and buy a set. They are cheap and you will get lots of use out of them over a life time.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Warpbender
warped and bent
 
Warpbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hockley, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,717

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)



Member Garage


__________________

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpbender View Post

what?
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
OMEGA
good eenin *****es
 
OMEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: se houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 7,971

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000




Member Garage





my dad has an ease but the distance to come get it you would be better off just buying one
__________________
GU flag
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS!
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
my dad has an ease but the distance to come get it you would be better off just buying one
that is what I mean.... by the time gas money is spent you could have bought the tool out right. $3 a gallon
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Swift E
Senior Member
 
Swift E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 11,046

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675









Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpbender View Post
__________________
obama1
I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
Warpbender
warped and bent
 
Warpbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hockley, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,717

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'07 Yammy FZ1 "the faster blue one"
'04 DR650se (sold)



Member Garage


Every time I walk into sears I never remember to pick up that kit.
I sure would bring it to ya if I had it.
__________________

Life is too short not to ride nekkid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
So keep talking chit or try it.
Warpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





swift make sure you get the correct drill bits to match the eaze outs. You have to drill an indention in the broken screw for the eaze out to bite into.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
Radar
Senior Member
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,045


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR









High speed steel labeled "HSS" is the bit material you need - do not use carbon steel bits they are junk. The high speed steel will drill out any screw/ bolt material normally found on our machines - even the harder materials.

An ease out is the absolute last resort for me - they rarely give good results - particularly on very small screws/bolts.

What does work very well is left hand drill bits - not sure if sears sells them, but any good tool supplier has them - Rex Supply, etc. Carefully center punch the screw right in the center. If you are off a little you can begin drilling slowly, and angle the drill the direction you need to move it to get it centered perfectly - drill a little / stop / look / drill stop / look / till you get it perfectly in the center, then continue drilling. Use a battery drill - run it backwards (left hand drill bit) - continue drilling - push hard enough to make sure it's cutting good - (if it's just rubbing - it will ruin the bit and harden the screw) once you're well into the hole - keep pushing keep drilling and start slowing the drill down - when it gets slow enough (keep pushing) it will grab the screw and begin unscrewing it (remember the drill is turning CCW). When it grabs and begins unscrewing it will startle you the first time you use this method, and you will tend to let go of the trigger - don't - keep it turning and out it will come.

This works VERY well. If the bit you use the first attempt doesn't do it - use the next size up (left hand). It will really tend to "grab" - remember - the grab occurs when you begin to slow down.

IMPORTANT DRILLING TIP! 99% of the time you will have trouble drilling steel, it is becasue you are doing 2 things wrong 1) drill is going too fast - slow down 2) not pushing hard enough to make the bit cut - no curly shavings - no cutting - won't work.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,798

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





I've got everything you need if you want Swift. No hurry getting that thing fixed, right?

Bring it to the house one weekend and we'll go over the whole thing. We'll get those GP Tech clipons going too if you want.
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary
 
H2447INTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: angleton tx
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 5,070

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe



Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
High speed steel labeled "HSS" is the bit material you need - do not use carbon steel bits they are junk. The high speed steel will drill out any screw/ bolt material normally found on our machines - even the harder materials.

An ease out is the absolute last resort for me - they rarely give good results - particularly on very small screws/bolts.

What does work very well is left hand drill bits - not sure if sears sells them, but any good tool supplier has them - Rex Supply, etc. Carefully center punch the screw right in the center. If you are off a little you can begin drilling slowly, and angle the drill the direction you need to move it to get it centered perfectly - drill a little / stop / look / drill stop / look / till you get it perfectly in the center, then continue drilling. Use a battery drill - run it backwards (left hand drill bit) - continue drilling - push hard enough to make sure it's cutting good - (if it's just rubbing - it will ruin the bit and harden the screw) once you're well into the hole - keep pushing keep drilling and start slowing the drill down - when it gets slow enough (keep pushing) it will grab the screw and begin unscrewing it (remember the drill is turning CCW). When it grabs and begins unscrewing it will startle you the first time you use this method, and you will tend to let go of the trigger - don't - keep it turning and out it will come.

This works VERY well. If the bit you use the first attempt doesn't do it - use the next size up (left hand). It will really tend to "grab" - remember - the grab occurs when you begin to slow down.

IMPORTANT DRILLING TIP! 99% of the time you will have trouble drilling steel, it is becasue you are doing 2 things wrong 1) drill is going too fast - slow down 2) not pushing hard enough to make the bit cut - no curly shavings - no cutting - won't work.

A+

this is comp. right! great info!
__________________
H2447INTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Swift E
Senior Member
 
Swift E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 11,046

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675









Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I've got everything you need if you want Swift. No hurry getting that thing fixed, right?

Bring it to the house one weekend and we'll go over the whole thing. We'll get those GP Tech clipons going too if you want.
Kewl... Thanx
__________________
obama1
I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
SVmike
nuthin'
 
SVmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 911

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...









Send a message via AIM to SVmike
what size do you need? I was just out in the garage messing with something and saw a couple of easy out bits
__________________
Wishing I hadn't sold my bike
SVmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
Radar
Senior Member
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,045


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR









Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
A+

this is comp. right! great info!
Thanks!
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #20
Swift E
Senior Member
 
Swift E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 11,046

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675









OK guys,
I got the screw out of the rearset peg but the one stuck in the swingarm from the rear spool is a booger. The ezout tip broke into the swing arm now
__________________
obama1
I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy