MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

R6 Power Issue

OK. First time to ask a question on here to hopefully I can get some help. My buddy has an 03 R6 and recently it started having power issues. Back in November it died and gave us Error Code 46 (Power supply to the FI system). We popped a new battery in it and bam all was well. Back in January it died on us again, error code 46. This time we popped a new battery in and it lasted a good 15 mins before the battery was dead as a doornail with error code 46 again. Common since told us battery is not charging. Followed directions in the service manual and some opinions from others we spoke to and determined the stator may have gone out. It took forever to get the stator here but we finally got it in last night, installed it, put a brand new battery in it and its doing the same , not charging voltage on battery just steadily drops when bike is running and battery is not charging. Also if we pull the battery off when the bike is running it dies instantly. Our next step is likely to be the rectifier but I wanted to get some opinions before we start playing the part mix and match game. Any ideas/opinions anybody?
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pesky no start issue with my 07 R6. HELP!!!! BryanE General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 07-21-2015 08:33 AM
05 yzf r6 issue yamp1 How To's and Q & A's 9 05-01-2015 12:32 AM
Bandit sounds like a Subaru/ power issue... :/ TheBandit How To's and Q & A's 16 08-20-2013 01:59 PM
07 r6 no spark issue... Blackguy General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 04-09-2013 11:32 AM
Need Help 04 r6 transmission or clutch issue? bagedtaco General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 03-30-2008 12:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

make sure there is not a short somewhere
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

All the wires is far as I could tell looked find, same with the harnesses. Any place in particular we should look?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It's probably the regulator rectifier. They fail very commonly on those bikes.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanworrell View Post
All the wires is far as I could tell looked find, same with the harnesses. Any place in particular we should look?
i would test the voltage at the battery with a voltage meter, make sure it is charging the way it should be. if not, then trace back the wires from the stator and/or rectifier and see where it drops. at least that is how i would start
Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Dubby
That one dude...

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
[2005 636 AKA "6Durty" (stunt piece)] Captured by Coryell Cty. Sheriffs Ofc.
Your momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It's probably the regulator rectifier. They fail very commonly on those bikes.
+1

Should tell him to get a Kawi or Honda... J/K mang... Good luck!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Thats what we were thinking. I have seen them on eBay fairly cheap but it would take a while to get here. Can you get one in pretty quick Patrick? If so how much would it cost? It's a 2003 YZF-R6 but i think everything 03+ uses the same rectifier.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i would test the voltage at the battery with a voltage meter, make sure it is charging the way it should be. if not, then trace back the wires from the stator and/or rectifier and see where it drops. at least that is how i would start
Did not trace it back. We did put the multimeter to it and at the battery it aint charging squat. Just drops. Supposed to be like 13 or 14 when running but it'll keep dropping to bout 9 before it finally dies. Any sure fire way to test a rectifier for failure?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanworrell View Post
Did not trace it back. We did put the multimeter to it and at the battery it aint charging squat. Just drops. Supposed to be like 13 or 14 when running but it'll keep dropping to bout 9 before it finally dies. Any sure fire way to test a rectifier for failure?
i would say test the lines coming from the stator in AC mode... it is AC before the rectifier changes it to DC current. see what it is before the rectifier, then see what it is immediately after it. if it comes in high and leaves low, you know it's the rectifier, if it comes in low and stays low... it is before the rectifier
Old 02-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

OK. Bare with me I know a little but not much regarding this, mainly what I know from the service manual. There is not much on the rectifier as far as service manual goes. According to the wiring daigram the 3 white wires coming from the stator those are all ac positive correct? The red wire coming from the stator is DC positive i assume? And the black I would believe to be negative/ground So to test the connect a positive lead to white (for ac) or red (for dc) and then the negative lead the black wire?

BTW nice sig sucka. lol

Last edited by Pyrofallout; 02-22-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

i don't know that part, i just know what i would test... but not exactly how to do it since i have not seen it in person or had to do it before... Patrick should know more about the wiring schematics and which color wires to test... i just know which functions i would test for
Old 02-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

I can test it. I am just always leery bout what wires i test, last thing I need is to fry an electrical system on a bike that's not mine.

Advertisement