MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

facts about car fax

Hello my name is josh302, I purchase used cars for numerous re-sell agencies, on average 35 cars per month. I personally inspect all of these vehicles prior to purchase.

On another thread I read some comments made by other members that were not true.

Car-fax is not always right; in most cases it is in-accurate. Have you ever even heard of them buying back a car? With their "Buyback Guarantee for a qualifying vehicle"

How it works:

Data from certain participating agencies is transmitted to a large database and car fax purchases this data for re-sale.

Now some of the participating agencies are oil change shops, and inspection stations.

The technicians at these places have to manually enter data such as mileage, most of these "technicians" I would not allow to cut my grass; most of them donít even speak English. These technicians are constantly making clerical mistakes on their data entry. I have personally seen hundreds of these mistakes.

Insurance agencies also report to the database. So if an insurance company fixes a car they will report this. Now if someone crashes their car, sends it to a body shop, pays out of their pocket for the repair, it will not be reported to car fax. Is this a fraud? NO.

There are many tools you can use to protect yourself when purchasing a used car, and car fax is one of them, but by all means not the Holy Grail, just a tool.

F.Y.I.

Any car that is over ten years old is exempt from mileage record, so there is no such thing as odometer fraud on an exempt car. 10 miles or ten million miles doesnít matter.

Any vehicle produced for Sale in the United States that has a five digit odometer is exempt from mileage record.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Fax SilverBullet Car Forum 0 11-16-2014 06:26 PM
Car Fax gsxrjai Off Topic 4 10-07-2009 08:09 AM
free car fax, maskale Off Topic 6 08-15-2009 10:21 AM
CMRA FAX MACHINE RACE!!!! houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 5 01-19-2009 03:01 PM
car fax help Tri Off Topic 1 04-03-2008 11:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Scotsman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Good info Josh!

What are some of the other ways we can use to protect ourselves when buying a used car?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Pay a qualified mechanic to look it over. Carfax is pretty much worthless. My dad has told me the same thing. Great info Josh. When you buy a car, ask around for a reputable mechanic, not some 18yr old fresh one(not that all are incapable, but better chance with an older one with more experience), get you an experienced one that other people can vouch for that you know has no association with that dealership. My father can pick out body lines, paint differences and everything. Used to be a body man, and has been a master certified tech for over 20 years. This also gives you a bargaining chip, they can give you an itemized list of things needing to be fixed which you can use to negotiate the price down if you are still interested.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302 View Post
Hello my name is josh302, I purchase used cars for numerous re-sell agencies, on average 35 cars per month. I personally inspect all of these vehicles prior to purchase.

On another thread I read some comments made by other members that were not true.

Car-fax is not always right; in most cases it is in-accurate. Have you ever even heard of them buying back a car? With their "Buyback Guarantee for a qualifying vehicle"

How it works:

Data from certain participating agencies is transmitted to a large database and car fax purchases this data for re-sale.

Now some of the participating agencies are oil change shops, and inspection stations.

The technicians at these places have to manually enter data such as mileage, most of these "technicians" I would not allow to cut my grass; most of them donít even speak English. These technicians are constantly making clerical mistakes on their data entry. I have personally seen hundreds of these mistakes.

Insurance agencies also report to the database. So if an insurance company fixes a car they will report this. Now if someone crashes their car, sends it to a body shop, pays out of their pocket for the repair, it will not be reported to car fax. Is this a fraud? NO.

There are many tools you can use to protect yourself when purchasing a used car, and car fax is one of them, but by all means not the Holy Grail, just a tool.

F.Y.I.

Any car that is over ten years old is exempt from mileage record, so there is no such thing as odometer fraud on an exempt car. 10 miles or ten million miles doesnít matter.

Any vehicle produced for Sale in the United States that has a five digit odometer is exempt from mileage record.

Well thank you for the good info Josh. I know you are reffering to my thread.
Next time you run your mustang let me know. I want to see that thing run.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

When I had my G35, it had a programable shift light or something I can't remember exactly. Anyway, it was set for 6500 rpm. This number was displayed above my odometer. When I went to get my brand new car inspected for the first time ever, instead of entering 3?? miles, he entered 6500 miles. I was talking to the guy about how I has just bought it and had it delivered blah blah blah.

Of course when I registered it with 300ish miles on it carfax threw up a red flag. This came back to bite me when I sodl the car. I was able to get it fixed but only because I went to the dealer within six months prior and six months after the 6500 mile record. I had to show proof of mileage from the dealer.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement