MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #41
Chino
We need Emotional Content

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
R6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
So what you are saying is that because Vale likes to slam back some wine, a cig and puff a joint after the races is what makes him one of the fastest?
Not following in your idea but a puff or a wine won't make the difference i'm talking about
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slow bikes fast...or fast bikes slow...Fun? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-21-2013 09:04 AM
Riding on wet roads, how fast is too fast? Versatile337 Safety Corner Main 45 02-11-2011 11:32 AM
How fast was he going? Ulric Off Topic 13 05-14-2010 11:07 AM
how fast is fast on 3090/forest sofa General Discussion (Moto Related) 130 12-20-2009 09:54 AM
I need a fast shop...fast! cascott01 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-16-2009 01:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #42
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Not following in your idea but a puff or a wine won't make the difference i'm talking about
I am guessing you are new to the seen? Valentino does nothing to get ready for racing and is known to like wine and things to smoke. So, following your previous words this would be what seperates him from the rest by what he does after the races?
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
I am guessing you are new to the seen? Valentino does nothing to get ready for racing and is known to like wine and things to smoke. So, following your previous words this would be what seperates him from the rest by what he does after the races?

Vale is a clubber, regularly spotted in Ibiza (Dance Capital of Europe).
techno techno techno
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #44
Chino
We need Emotional Content

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
R6's

Quote:
Case then is 2007 champion... eventhou I'm Rossi fan.
And by the way those were some things, not the only ones... again, must be well rounded... , will, money...
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #45
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman007 View Post
honestly, your post did not help me.
well, IF his words were spelled correctly, you may have caught the point he was trying to make...
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #46
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

FOCUS
Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #47
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

W.O.T. Wide Open Throttle He who gets to WOT first and keeps it there the longest wins
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #48
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman007 View Post
the title says it.. im a bit curious as to what makes a rider fast at the track. to be specific, what qualities do the pro motoGP guys have that the regulars, as in fast experts at our local tracks dont?.. if both riders can lean the bike to its limit, what is the winning factor? race lines, instinct and stuff like that?
This might sound like a stupid question, but im still just curious. thanks
Starting Small... Most pro riders started on 125/250cc GP bikes where they learned the basics and how to get the most out of a motorcycle. Corner speeds are what make riders fast. Any squid can go WOT on a straight. but it takes a lot of knowledge, etc. to carry that speed through a corner.
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #49
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
IMO, one of the biggest things that makes them better is their ability to process information at speed. They are able to process things at 150 mph like I can at 50. Perception of speed is huge.
Personally, I think this is the biggest deal. You not only have to have "ballz", but also the INSTINCT of control and be able to "feel" what the bike is doing. The pros can react to situations that would make 99% of other riders end up on their head. Things are moving at slower motion (ie, the perception of speed that was mentioned). It's like, what would make most racers check-up and almost crash is nothing to these guys.... just part of going faster, and FASTER.

Yeah, the majority of these guys got started racing at a very young age, but if you've got it, you've got it. Edwards didn't start riding Oak Hill on a sportbike until he was in his teens. Bayliss was still club racing in Australia in his 20's. Scott Russell didn't start club racing until his mid 20's or something.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #50
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
1. Talent
2. Money
3. Bawlz
4. Money
5. More bawlz
6. Money

there it is...u couldnt have put it in a better way man
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #51
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD View Post
Personally, I think this is the biggest deal. You not only have to have "ballz", but also the INSTINCT of control and be able to "feel" what the bike is doing. The pros can react to situations that would make 99% of other riders end up on their head. Things are moving at slower motion (ie, the perception of speed that was mentioned). It's like, what would make most racers check-up and almost crash is nothing to these guys.... just part of going faster, and FASTER.

Yeah, the majority of these guys got started racing at a very young age, but if you've got it, you've got it. Edwards didn't start riding Oak Hill on a sportbike until he was in his teens. Bayliss was still club racing in Australia in his 20's. Scott Russell didn't start club racing until his mid 20's or something.
+1 (this is coming from a fast guy(Jeff) btw)
Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #52
batman007

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2006 R6S

im gonna have to agree with dhdrider,, processing info at high speeds/good hand eye coordination = talent on the tracks.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 AM   #53
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

I posted this a while back:
Quote:
12-05-2007, 09:39 PM #47
Grinchy

Grinchys theory: is that a riders brain is like a computer processor, and that dictates how much input you can handle. The fast guys have a big ol Pentium 4, twin core, 10 gig blah de blah and then others of us have the equivalent of the old Atari tennis console which is why we can do things slow but struggle as the speed and input picks up !!
I need an upgrade
Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #54
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I have been watching this thread and I think it is a very good question posed. I have this to add:

It seems to me that the big difference is between local riders and pro riders. When the MotoGP guys hit the field, they are on a level field. I am basing this on the times posted between first and past and them all being with a minute or so.
The big change would be if Speis or Haden showed up at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for a track day and see you them run against our local guys. This is where experiance, training, and all the other things that were listed come into play if all where on comperable street bikes made ready for the track.

I think that it is parts of their branes that have higher activity (snapsis activitiy) that raises their awareness and perception, reaction times due to adrenalin, and their drive to be infont. The most focused and committed usually win the races when there aren't problems or issues on with the bike on race day.

just my $0.02
Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #55
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Actually I think a Privateer said it best this past year at Laguna, I forget who it was. They were interviewing him about something and he said that he has to be more careful than the factory backed riders and take less risks. Every time he crashes it costs him several thousand dollars in gear and repairs, whereas the factory boys can jump right on new bikes and gear within seconds of a crash.

Course he couldn't be that broke to be running the AMA Superbike circuit IMO....
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #56
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Admittedly I'm no expert - but I think money is one of the factors that is most important.

The guys who can win consistently are going to get rides in MotoGP and WSBK, but the guys who fill the rest of the running order are largely determined by how much money they bring to the table.

I remember reading an interview with James Ellison awhile back where he talked about how he had won in BSB and could have moved up to WSBK, but just to get a ride in the series you had to bring $100K+ to the table - either in sponsorship dollars or cold hard cash.

I think there are quite a few riders out there who are capable of running the times that you see coming from the middle of the MotoGP grid. The reason that you see the riders you do is that they have something else to bring with them - other than lap times.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #57
level5
moving chicane

I'd have to say in this order
1. talents/skills
2. money to upgrade motors/suspension
3. big to push the machine at its edge and beyond
4. money and/or fame as a driving force.

Everyone is meant to be something in life, and all of us are meant to be spectators.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #58
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
I have been watching this thread and I think it is a very good question posed. I have this to add:

It seems to me that the big difference is between local riders and pro riders. When the MotoGP guys hit the field, they are on a level field. I am basing this on the times posted between first and past and them all being with a minute or so.
The big change would be if Speis or Haden showed up at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for a track day and see you them run against our local guys. This is where experiance, training, and all the other things that were listed come into play if all where on comperable street bikes made ready for the track.

I think that it is parts of their branes that have higher activity (snapsis activitiy) that raises their awareness and perception, reaction times due to adrenalin, and their drive to be infont. The most focused and committed usually win the races when there aren't problems or issues on with the bike on race day.

just my $0.02
This has happened countless times already.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #59
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
Admittedly I'm no expert - but I think money is one of the factors that is most important.

The guys who can win consistently are going to get rides in MotoGP and WSBK, but the guys who fill the rest of the running order are largely determined by how much money they bring to the table.

I remember reading an interview with James Ellison awhile back where he talked about how he had won in BSB and could have moved up to WSBK, but just to get a ride in the series you had to bring $100K+ to the table - either in sponsorship dollars or cold hard cash.

I think there are quite a few riders out there who are capable of running the times that you see coming from the middle of the MotoGP grid. The reason that you see the riders you do is that they have something else to bring with them - other than lap times.
Ellison won the BSB privateers championship, no mean feat.
$100K for a WSB berth seems cheap at face value !!!
Leon Camier paid 60,000 ($120,000) for the Padgetts Honda British SuperSport 600 ride back in 2005( see http://www.holly-jones.co.uk/images/...-jones-041.jpg ). His parents re-financed their house for him I'm told. He's one of the lucky ones, he took his opportunity and this year lines up as a salaried rider on the Airwaves Ducati Superbike.
A friend of mine was asked to test the British factory 600 Kawasaki at the end of 2005. He wasn't offerred the ride but even at that stage, 50,000 was being talked about.
The reason we see so many Spanish and Italian riders in the world championships is besides an abundance of youth race acadamies, they have far more financial support from the public by way of sponsorship.
Rossi and Biaggi's battles would make the first 3 pages of national Italian papers and not just a small box somewhere in the sports section at the back.
They're mad for it !!
As stated, the creme de la creme will get factory rides and salaries but exc MotoGP mainly, sadly the rest of the field is as much about what you bring to the table as it is your speed !!

Advertisement