MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
why dont they make FI dirt bikes for motocross etc

when we were watching supercross yesterday, c0rey brought up the point why dont we have FI dirt bikes here in the states. I would figure for the pros in motocross would run something like this so when their bike goes down they dont have to kick start it 131212 times

just a random question im sure there is a simple answer im not aware of
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
well if this dont make you feel old (walkman) OMEGA Off Topic 22 07-01-2009 11:38 PM
FI bikes with a choke? bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-27-2009 02:34 PM
Why they dont make Fast and the furious with Motorcycles p.r papi Off Topic 19 03-09-2009 03:25 PM
2 wrongs dont make it right jgixer General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 01-27-2009 04:35 PM
i dont make no sammiches!! bentgixxer Off Topic 3 04-22-2007 11:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
cost. plain and simple. but the newer bikes are quickly switching over to FI.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
i might also guess the sensitivity of the electronics. they may not hold up as well to 50 foot jumps and hard landings, especially crashes. and yes, cost...if you break them i would guess a single fuel injector/throttle body would be in the $500+range, whereas a single carb might be $100-$150 maybe? not sure on the exact numbers.

that being said, i think its a good idea, and we will see them eventually. factories will find ways to make the FI components more durable. maybe enclosing them in a shock-proof box, or just making them more robust in general.

at the same time the idea is rather disgusting (in a "OH " ) kind of way. 2 strokes are allready completly mental as far as acceleration, and that is using carbs. with FI it will take a real sense of control to keep the front end on the ground. it would be the easiest thing to loop on the planet.

not having to kickstart is a good idea, but you dont need FI for that. there are plenty of carbed dirtbikes with electric starts these days. the reason they dont use electric starters, is the extra weight of the alternator, the starter motor, etc. a kick start is basicly one small gear, a big spring and the kick lever.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

The 2008 Suzuki 450 dirt bike is FI. The KTM 450 dirt bike has electric start.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
GLD
track junkie

Bike(s):
F2 w/ F3 engine 2001 RC51

Durability/cost and weight to a lesser extent. The durability and cost issue makes it prohibitive the mechanical environment of a street bike is a of a lot nice than the mechanical environment of a dirt bike. Electronics don't like large shocks and lots of vibration. There are two ways to counter this currently: beef up the design (adds weight and cost) or perform an environmental screening test on all the parts and select those that pass (adds a shitload of cost because you add in very expensive testing and essentially only keep those that pass knowing a small number statistically outperform other parts).
That said it will happen. Remember street bikes back around the change of the millenium (really cool to say that) as they were switching over?
GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
MadseasoN

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Not to mention that FI requires lots of electronic components. Most motocross bikes don't have a generator to power anything like that.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

My friend has a Cannondale 440 and its fuel injected and electric start and ohlins front and rear, awesome indeed, and I believe its about 5 years old, very high tech for an older dirt bike, those HUGE ohlins forks give me a woody everytime I see them, but he does have running issues with it sometimes, I think fuel pump problems
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
like Mag said, Suzuki has a RM450 that's FI now. They were showing ads for them at the Supercross.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
zx636tx
Certified Bad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R

Altough they are slowly switching over, it is a cost-to-race move, plain and simple. The same reason the wouldn't let KTM or Husqvarna, I can't remember which, race their v-twin motocrosser. Every jump in tchnology adds a cost element. They don't want motocrossing to be as costly as MotoGP.
zx636tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement