MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Ready for one.......id have to say never on the street. There just no need for it. BUT if you just want it then yes like everyone said maturiy and responsability should be your deciding factors.

After i get my girlfirend her bike my next personal bike is going to be a step down with a kawi 250.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
go fast vs life of bike Yillbs General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-30-2011 05:51 PM
any1 wants 2 buy a fast bike pimp2303 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 07-03-2008 06:57 AM
Which bike is fast? R1houston General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 04-27-2008 09:18 AM
One Fast Bike!!!! ufo34 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-09-2005 02:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 shadow aero - sold, 02 954rr baby!

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearalex
well thanks for the advice...

i'll still stick with my shadow for a bit.... we'll see..
Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #23
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #24
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

In all honesty 600cc is all anyone needs. What can you do on a 750 ,1000 that you cant do on the street. Anything more is a waste. If your trying to figure out formulas on how to drink and drive you need to buy a car. A really BIG car.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertinhouston View Post
In all honesty 600cc is all anyone needs. What can you do on a 750 ,1000 that you cant do on the street. Anything more is a waste. If your trying to figure out formulas on how to drink and drive you need to buy a car. A really BIG car.
dont be hatin.... besides what do u want me to do? get drunk and kill a lot of people with that big car??
Old 02-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #26
albertinhouston

I was thinking so you wouldn't kill yourself, actually.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #27
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
its a judgement call that will effect the longevity of your life, your wallet and possibly the lives of others...

no one can make that decision for you... I would recommend if you have an itch, get on a smaller version of your dream bike; ex- don't jump from a cruiser to a sportbike w a big engine and expect the same ride experience

I had a friend forget his keys when his wife dropped him off at work... his HD1500 was in the shop. I gave him my keys and when he finally came back, was surprized the front wheel came up on him at 140... Harley Rider on MH btw, he has been on cruisers for years and had ridden the katana a short distance. He kept looking at it and didn't work the whole day.... kept asking, how do you not speed on that thing everywhere?... He like the bike before, but now wont walk by it without stopping and looking it over

See if you know someone to borrow one from and ride; its chancy but if they are a good enough friend and trust you, have ur insurance and know u'll pay if wrecked, then its worth it...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #28
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
I was thinking so you wouldn't kill yourself, actually.
yeah but better 1 crazy person than many innocent ones...

but i was just playing, man... and hornet's quote was also sarcastic in my signature, dude!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #29
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
its a judgement call that will effect the longevity of your life, your wallet and possibly the lives of others...

no one can make that decision for you... I would recommend if you have an itch, get on a smaller version of your dream bike; ex- don't jump from a cruiser to a sportbike w a big engine and expect the same ride experience

I had a friend forget his keys when his wife dropped him off at work... his HD1500 was in the shop. I gave him my keys and when he finally came back, was surprized the front wheel came up on him at 140... Harley Rider on MH btw, he has been on cruisers for years and had ridden the katana a short distance. He kept looking at it and didn't work the whole day.... kept asking, how do you not speed on that thing everywhere?... He like the bike before, but now wont walk by it without stopping and looking it over

See if you know someone to borrow one from and ride; its chancy but if they are a good enough friend and trust you, have ur insurance and know u'll pay if wrecked, then its worth it...

thanks, good advice... I will be slow and deliberate with my actual decision making.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #30
Lucifer
The Last Enigma

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda CRF 50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGixxer View Post
if we all wanted what our hearts desired then i would be on a ducati. lol start with the 600 then work your way up! Who knows you might end up liking the 600 better than the 1000, but you will never know until you try it out
Hey I started with a Ducati what wrong with that?:dontknow:
Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #31
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
Hey I started with a Ducati what wrong with that?:dontknow:
you lucky motha !!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #32
Lucifer
The Last Enigma

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda CRF 50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearalex View Post
you lucky motha !!!!
I kid... I actually started on learning on a Honda (crf I think)450 that was so big compared to me that I had to get it rolling and then mount it. This was back in 1999-2001 then I bought my own crf150 in 2003 rode a few street bikes in between for ex: Kawi 636, Honda 600, Lol my first street bike to ride was actually a Busa pewter and black in color still remeber I was shaking like a leaf in the wind from fear of dropping it. Wanted to get a Yamaha R1 which didn't work out, then an R6 didn't work out, and some how sold my soul and ended up with a Ducati Still trying to figure that one out. I been riding for almost 8 years now, and I still have a hard time controlling my hunger for speed and make mistakes now and then. Just if you do decide to get a bike think twice before you roll on the throttle. ( For those who know me I know 8 years and I still don't know how to wheelie, its just like my step-dad who was born and raised in Galveston but, doesn't know how to swim.) Go figure
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #33
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

id offer you a short ride on mine but the busa isn't comparable to an r6 or r1; those are alot lighter and the r1 will wheelie like no tomorrow compared to a bike w almost 200lbs on it...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #34
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:

If you're wringing the neck on a 600, that's too much for the streets. Bigger displacement = more torque, which translates to more fun on the streets without having to run to the redline.

There are abundunt arguments as to why a 1000 is better than a 600 for street riding.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #35
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I'd suggest check out the sticky in regards to 'first bike' and read it well.

find some other bikes sites/forum and look for the same thing... then based on that, consider your own experience and what you feel is your maturity level... then take a hard look in the mirror.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #36
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I'd suggest check out the sticky in regards to 'first bike' and read it well.

find some other bikes sites/forum and look for the same thing... then based on that, consider your own experience and what you feel is your maturity level... then take a hard look in the mirror.
well its my second bike... but i agree with the maturity thingy... i waited until i was 32 to get a bike for a reason... i wanted it in my 20s but i knew it would be too much of a risk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
I kid... I actually started on learning on a Honda (crf I think)450 that was so big compared to me that I had to get it rolling and then mount it. This was back in 1999-2001 then I bought my own crf150 in 2003 rode a few street bikes in between for ex: Kawi 636, Honda 600, Lol my first street bike to ride was actually a Busa pewter and black in color still remeber I was shaking like a leaf in the wind from fear of dropping it. Wanted to get a Yamaha R1 which didn't work out, then an R6 didn't work out, and some how sold my soul and ended up with a Ducati Still trying to figure that one out. I been riding for almost 8 years now, and I still have a hard time controlling my hunger for speed and make mistakes now and then. Just if you do decide to get a bike think twice before you roll on the throttle. ( For those who know me I know 8 years and I still don't know how to wheelie, its just like my step-dad who was born and raised in Galveston but, doesn't know how to swim.) Go figure
I rode 600 for the first time not long ago and i can totally relate - as i rolled on the throttle i was like "oh chit!"... it is scary... and the bike was so light that i felt like imma gonna flip it. But this is actually why biking can be so much fun - this mixture of fear/excitement that causes the adrenaline rushes we are all addicted to..

btw, i am very impressed that u have been riding for this long! Glad you have been safe and careful all this time... keep it up... and to with wheelies...
when i try to wheelie my shadow my rear wheel starts slipping and burning the rubber but the front doesnt budge
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #37
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

my 2cents , i would have started on the 600, sorry others will disagre but i think if your going to ride sports bikes, you should start on one, the small one , but you will learn on what want, throtle controle on that bike and not a shado, they are diff and you will have to relearn some of your rideing skills , when you change up to the (gixxer 6er).

but hey it has to do with you , are you controle your self ex. but hey when you are ready you will know! just take your time and dont just hope on it and try doing wheelys or run 180mph on the hwy!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #38
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

And that said above, get with a group that will allow the opportunity to push you once you are comfortable but not leave you behind and causing you to push yourself too hard to keep up, etc... Being in a good group that knows you and will ride with you really is a plus...

I have several friends that outride me in the corners now that were so sure they wouldn't on their lower cc bikes... but busa can only do so much in a corner in comparo to others... And Im assured knowing at least they started slow and found confidence in themselves in what they can do; not overpushing a ride
Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #39
Candie

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

I say when you can ride a 600RR to its full potential then get a 1k. But hey do what you want, it is your bike! If you use common sense you should be just fine!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #40
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearalex View Post
but i need to overcompensate for my small !

j/k, i think ur right. I actually went to the dealership and sat on 600rr today. man they are awesome, with the exhaust in the seat already and they are light and not very tall even for someone my size (5'4)
Size is definately an issue as well. Not sure what you weigh, but I'd guess not much. A smaller rider on a 600 will DOMNIATE a bigger guy on a bigger bike in corners ALL DAY LONGGGGGGG. Straight line speed and exit drive are the big adv of the 1k. The 600 with a light rider and the power to weight ratio becomes apparent. Look at the SV 650's as well for a great starter sportbike, lots of torque with lower HP(about 30 less), and will teach you how to carry corner speed better than a 600.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement