MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Rain out WOW!!!

Man hated to see it NOT raining this morning, but know it is on the way. Now the weather guys say early afternoon. Good thing to come about though in my opinion. What everyone said couldn't happen has. All three trackdays were cancelled for weather and rider's credited or refunded. Amazing I think. Now if TWS (Texas World Speedway) and Cresson managment would play nice. Unfortunately it won't be a regular thing, but sure is nice this time.
Just wanted to say great job on the part of LSTD and TTD for stepping up to do what is right for the riders. I'm sure folks will remember that.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WOW...just...WOW...WHAT SKILLS! 1sickGixxer Off Topic 9 06-17-2013 03:09 PM
OMG WOW JUST WOW Bounce305 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-07-2012 10:42 PM
Ready for the rain? Rain suit jimrad Gear Talk 6 08-30-2011 10:39 AM
"Rain Rain Check" 8/16/09 Sunday Morning - *SHNF TRAILS* Dualsport/Motard/Dirtbike PimpDaub Events, Meets and Rides 33 08-17-2009 01:34 PM
SO TIRED OF THIS RAIN. wow. Andy General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 07-05-2007 08:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

+1 hats off to all the ORGS and TRACK OWNERS!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Now if TWS (Texas World Speedway) and Cresson managment would play nice.
Cresson always has in the past- of course we don't take that to the bank that we'll get that treatment every time though. The management at MSR are a class act and have always done right by us. Likely it's the long-standing relationship we have with them that gets us certain perks I guess.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't agree with canceling for rain as a whole. If this were a race weekend, it wouldn't have been canceled at all because racers will race in this weather, but the majority of the people at these track days scheduled today aren't racers. So I guess that puts me on the fence.

While I don't enjoy rain or have an un-natural affection for it like some folks, I do ride in it, I did when I had my bike as a daily driver, I've raced in it, and I do track days in it. It's really not that bad. I have a dedicated track bike, so that makes it a bit easier to swallow if I toss it- which is unlike those that ride their street bikes on the track.

I am one that believes strongly in customer service though, and if the majority of the customers don't want to ride in the rain, then you gotta pay attention to that. I don't agree, but then again, I don't have to.

The reason we canceled were for descriptors like "gusty winds, sleet, possible hail, and heavy torrential rains". That puts things in to the dangerous category in my book. I'm really glad GSS stepped up and recognized the same thing and worked with us so we didn't have to show up today, only to pack up and leave later when/ if it hits.

My fear is that with this growing trend, tracks and trackday orgs are going to lose too much money and end up either having to raise prices exponentially to cover costs (believe it, there is lots of overhead costs associated with this), or the tracks are going to make things unappealing for motorcycles to participate or dis-allow them all together.

I hope not, but you have to recognize that one thing affects the other (Yin and Yang).
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
good choice ya'll. much respect!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Exactly Tom, VAST majority of these guys are NOT racers and do trackdays for FUN. Wet track = NO FUN/NOT SAFE for 99.9% of riders. Amazing TTD could pull off a two day cancellation without a "long standing relationship", on their first event. Merel seems headed in the right direction with his customer service as well.
CMRA expert #413
Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Well, I've done many a track day in the rain...in the CAR. However, I'm not sure my skills (or nerves!) are ready to do it on a motorcycle. I would really, REALLY like to have my noob day with good weather.

I appreciate the fact that LSTD & GSS are allowing us to re-schedule...again. I WILL use my credit, dangit!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Don't worry Sassy, we already bought weather for the noob day. It's beautiful, you should see it.
CMRA expert #413
Old 02-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Don't worry Sassy, we already bought weather for the noob day. It's beautiful, you should see it.

Looking forward to it...and many more!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Exactly Tom, VAST majority of these guys are NOT racers and do trackdays for FUN.
Yeah, I know, that's why I said it. I just don't agree with it, that's my opinion, but as I said, I don't have to.

It's all good, the customers are happy that we were able to pull it off, and I'm sure your customers were happy too. That's a very good thing as it promotes safety and good will, which is something the sport of motorcycling is all about IMHO.

But I'll say it again, my fear is what happens in the future. There are already trackday orgs that are charging just under $200 for a track day, I can't see that cost going down any time soon, and possibly could go up exponentially since rain outs and credits cut the bottom line big time. Someone has to recoup those costs.

But, that's my fear. In no way is it anyone else's opinion unless they express it that way, and I don't have any fingers on any purse strings (just ask my Wife).
Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 636

Class act guys for canceling, although I have some rain tires now. would like to try them out one day in the rain. Good decesion for the newer riders.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Man hated to see it NOT raining this morning, but know it is on the way. Now the weather guys say early afternoon. Good thing to come about though in my opinion. What everyone said couldn't happen has. All three trackdays were cancelled for weather and rider's credited or refunded. Amazing I think. Now if TWS (Texas World Speedway) and Cresson managment would play nice. Unfortunately it won't be a regular thing, but sure is nice this time.
Just wanted to say great job on the part of LSTD and TTD for stepping up to do what is right for the riders. I'm sure folks will remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
+1 hats off to ALL the ORGS and TRACK OWNERS!
+2
Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Big time thumbs up to all the TD orgs that have made the call for safety/customer service!!!

Tom I agree that it's possible that this trend could cause problems for the future but I believe that the popularity of trackdays is here to stay.
If some of the local tracks can be encouraged to work with the MC crowd in this way it would reduce the effect on the organizers. What I mean is, like others have said it is hard to believe that the tracks are always booked,all the time. If the tracks will allow reschedule dates, even during the week perhaps months later, then it would reduce the finacial impact on the organizers.
I understand that bikes are the stepchildren of the track world but they still generate significant income for the tracks and they aren't gonna want to lose that. Maybe in time, with gentle pressure applied, things can change for the better of all involved.
This weekend shows that progress might be happening.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Much Respect
Old 02-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'm sure you all know my opinion....makes me very happy to see things happening for the consumer....even if prices raise 20 or 30 bucks from current costs, having a "sufficient" rain-out policy is definitely worth the extra dough. Makes it much easier to swallow a $30 increase vs. swallowing a $180 loss at one time....I'm middle class, what can I say?

Hats off to the track orgs and track owners for keeping the business supporters in mind.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i'm fairly unhappy that it has been cancelled/rescheduled, as this weekend was one of my only free weekends for pretty much the rest of the year. Now, I have a credit towards a track day that I may never get to use. I was so bummed yesterday.

But, I'm glad I didn't have to see someone crumble up their bike in the rain.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Makes it much easier to swallow a $30 increase vs. swallowing a $180 loss at one time....I'm middle class, what can I say?
That's the thing Danny, it would be hard to say what the increase would be (if there were one). In order to cover losses like that it may have to be much more than $30. Think of this too, there are currently track day orgs that are starting their prices at $180 (plus tax in some cases) and I've heard that there are others that charge $200 currently.

I'm not trying to be a neigh-sayer, I think that this trend is a good thing for those that want it. Maybe another alternative is to allow just the "noob" (our "C" group) group to receive credits on rain days...

As it was, and as it has happened in the past, with all the doom and gloom fore-casted, it turned out to be a perfectly ridable day at the track for about 75% of the day or more. It didn't really start raining consistently until about 5pm.

So, here's the optimistic side of my thoughts: This is a definite positive step in the direction of tracks working with track day orgs I don't see a track like TWS (Texas World Speedway) making any sudden changes, but it appears that the "membership" type tracks are seeing advantages of a great working relationship with track day orgs. Our long-standing relationship with MSR, a newly forged relationship with GSS and their willingness to have great customer relationships, have afforded us an opportunity to make another positive difference in this community!

On to Oak Hill on the 22nd, waiting for a positive forecast of 75* and clear!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
i'm fairly unhappy that it has been cancelled/rescheduled, as this weekend was one of my only free weekends for pretty much the rest of the year. Now, I have a credit towards a track day that I may never get to use. I was so bummed yesterday.

But, I'm glad I didn't have to see someone crumble up their bike in the rain.

Cliff if you can't make it out to the next trackday, sell your credit to get your funds back.
I sure hope you can make it out to the TWS (Texas World Speedway) event.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

I wanna do a trackday......

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
Cliff if you can't make it out to the next trackday, sell your credit to get your funds back.
I sure hope you can make it out to the TWS (Texas World Speedway) event.
i'd like to goto TWS (Texas World Speedway), the 929 is all setup and ready for it...i just need to free time. I hope I can rearrange some things to make it.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #20
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

I'm not trying to be a neigh-sayer, I think that this trend is a good thing for those that want it. Maybe another alternative is to allow just the "noob" (our "C" group) group to receive credits on rain days...

The thing that keeps coming to my mind is that many of the trackday riders are on their streetbikes. With street tires.
Like most everyone I know, I have spent most of my "riding" life avoiding riding in the rain, which means we don't have that much experience doing it.

If you combine street equipment, marginal riding conditions and people of varying experience in those conditions, it's a recipe for uglyness.

THAT is why I (and others) hope that with time, this can be worked out so that everyone... tracks, organizers AND riders will all benefit and have a chance to live happily ever after. Amen
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Closed Thread

Advertisement