MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #21
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urandaman View Post
cool cool, i need to find a all weather type camera if there is such a thing ha.
there is!

I forget who makes it but I saw a nice point and shoot digital that was water resistant. Not good for diving or anything like that but it would be fine in the rain.

One of the nicer SLR types would be worth it though. I'm serious about getting nice camera if you travel with the miitary. I've seen SO much and I wish I had a better camera now that I look back.

Talk to Solracer, he takes some nice photos

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone here in the NAVY? pwned Off Topic 30 08-27-2009 06:21 PM
All Noobs who joined in the last two weeks Squoddybody Off Topic 5 07-01-2009 01:32 AM
To anyone in the Navy... bhk1105 Off Topic 20 03-27-2009 10:53 AM
When I joined this forum I was looking. Witch Dr. Off Topic 20 09-01-2008 03:58 AM
Anyone in the Navy? Seth Off Topic 28 05-10-2007 11:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #22
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
there is!

One of the nicer SLR types would be worth it though. I'm serious about getting nice camera if you travel with the miitary. I've seen SO much and I wish I had a better camera now that I look back.

Talk to Solracer, he takes some nice photos
are the SLR types the ones you can change lenses and such?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #23
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

eagle scout FTW Good stuff man Gotta love the free rank.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #24
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
Congratulations! I hope you get stationed in Paradise- maybe Hickam AFB on Pearl Harbor.
My buddy is there and is miserable. He said the cost of living is too expensive, and the locals are really towards white military men. :/: I loved Hawaii while I was there, but I have locals (japanese) that are friends so it was different. But he can't wait to get out of there, and in case you ask, he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. guess it is different for each person.

Oh and congrats man. I was sworn in the Navy for the nuclear engineer program and had life thrown at me, so I ended up not shipping out. Don't let any big changes happen between now and then.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
My buddy is there and is miserable. He said the cost of living is too expensive, and the locals are really towards white military men. :/: I loved Hawaii while I was there, but I have locals (japanese) that are friends so it was different. But he can't wait to get out of there, and in case you ask, he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. guess it is different for each person.

Oh and congrats man. I was sworn in the Navy for the nuclear engineer program and had life thrown at me, so I ended up not shipping out. Don't let any big changes happen between now and then.
This is an attitude I encountered a lot from servicemen over there. My husband and I lived among the locals in Waenae- we were the only haoles (whites) there and nobody gave us attitude. I worked downtown at a clinic and got on famously there, too. You get out of the experience what you are willing to put into it! I looked at it as a 3-year vacation, and that's exactly what it turned into!

I really hope you get a station in Paradise! One thing for sure- you'll be near the ocean and that, in itself, is perfect in my book!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #26
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Having lived in Hawaii the first 18 years of my life ... I think I have a good POV regarding the military and locals. If you take the oppurtunity to integrate yourself into the local culture, we'll take you in. But if the only place you hang out off base is the bars and clubs ... well, then you're just an outsider. Learn to surf, learn to eat the local food, pick up "pidgen english" and if you can ... try and live off base.

Have fun, and if you do end up in Hawaii, I'll be more than happy to give you some pointers on where to hang and stuff.

Oh and here's something too ... join an outrigger canoe club ... great exercise and a great way to get in with the locals.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #27
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Logan, thank you. I lived there for 5 years before coming here.

1. OAHU IS RUINED. In the five years I was there I witnessed a huge population growth. I can't imagine how great that place must have been twenty years ago or more. I'd be too.

2. The people/military that complained about the locals were the ones that never took time to listen and get to know them.

I could go on and on but all I won't. If you go to Hawaii, respect what Oahu once was and what it is today. It was beautiful and now it is ruined. Be humble, get to know some locals, be open minded to their ways, try their food before you decide it is gross, and remember that they were there first.
The Polynesian culture is a warm and giving one. If you act like you are above them, you may quickly find out that YOU are the minority.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #28
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urandaman View Post
i did alot of thinking and out of the branches of the military i looked into the navy was best for me. i got sworn in and took the oath earlier today, just got to get my vision corrected then i will be changing my job to aviation rescue swimmer or fleet diver. i was told both those jobs are in a great need so there are open spots once i get my vision corrected. going in to basic as an E-3 for being an Eagle Scout which is very nice

i will leave for basic in june, june 16th as of right now, it may change once i change my job.
im pretty fawkin stoked
wtf? navy? gay....
Never Again Volunteer Yourself..

Im joking with you good job in thinking about future..Make sure that you pick up something that you can use once you become a civilian...Congrats Soldier!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #29
Hades
Underworld

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
**05 Repsol** gone :(
**CBR F4**Sold
**00 R6** Sold
**00 748** Sold
Illegal Senorita

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Hades
Good luck I got out in 05 MA2(SW) had a blast just make the most of it while your are in.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #30
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
eagle scout FTW Good stuff man Gotta love the free rank.
ha yea, who knew camping, pinewood derbys, and an eagle project would be rewarded in the military hehe.

pretty much anywhere i get stationed will be a vaction for me, i most likely wouldnt have been able to go to all those places without joining

Advertisement