MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
certainly wont hurt to do most of those things, i would say they are all that neccesary. i would recommend going the scheduled maintenance recommendations in the service manual.
I'm surprised by this coming from a person who aspires to be a mechanic some day.

Of course all of the things we mentioned are necessary, and last time I checked, those items ARE regular maintenance items.

Owning a motorcycle is more responsibility for maintenance and upkeep versus any other mode of transportation. If you don't do it, you need to get someone to do it for you. Otherwise you're going to spend all of your money and your bike's time in a shop instead of riding it!

Items such as oil, brake fluids, especially coolants, and fuels break down over time and with lack of use. Oils and petroleum products will break down and form caustic solutions.

If you don't do those things, sure, the bike will start and run fine (maybe), but the problems you may be causing for the future may be what you're affecting.

But by all means, don't do any of that and ride the out of it, I'm sure all the guys saying "it's fine, just ride it" are right
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bike sitting with no gas Shaunpe General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 08-04-2014 02:22 PM
Found someone sitting on your bike! cornell General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 08-12-2013 04:29 PM
What would you do if you caught someone sitting on your bike? morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 05-21-2011 10:02 AM
bike just sitting... cwest22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-05-2010 08:29 AM
bike is sitting jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 03-15-2006 04:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
Eddy.T

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Diavel
2005 GSXR 600
2015 Ducati Diavel

Thanks you all...

I really appreciate this...

I have my exam on the 29th of this month...
Anyone available for that weekend.... i.e 1 or 2nd March?

I live in a an apartment so i cant invite you over to help me out with this in our parking lot... but if you have some place we can go and work on this i will appreciate it...

that way , i will learn how to change oil, bleed/flush brake oils, coolants and that sorta stuff....

So i can get a little more self sufficient in maintaining my own bike...

tomLSTD - i understand the importance of having regular maintenance and thats exactly why i posted the question....
Eddy.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #23
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
If you still have not got around to it in May ill be doing the same stuff to my bike since its been in storage since october and i dont get back until may. Im going to check all of the above that has been listen and also take off the carbs and clean them up.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaflatoonx View Post
tomLSTD - i understand the importance of having regular maintenance and thats exactly why i posted the question....
My comments were directed at Chris24 (in my quote).

I'm glad you're asking! That's more than some people do when they own a bike.

You are welcome to come to my shop if you like, though it'll be around the second week of March at the earliest (I'm swamped right now).

I live kinda far too. Take some of these folks up on their offer and bring them some brew!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #25
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I'm surprised by this coming from a person who aspires to be a mechanic some day.
aspire? someday? im allready a mechanic as a full time job, bro. before that i was doing it on the side, (still do) and before that ive been doing all my own work. i can honestly say i do a good job, and im proud of the work i do. im no "master" mechanic yet, but im still learning. dont hate on me dude, i even offered to go help him as well.

besides, its a 04 gsxr thats been sitting for 3 months, not a 94 katana that been sitting for 3 years.

like i said, none of that stuff will hurt, so if you got the itch, by all means scratch it. your probably due for a brake fluid flush sometime this year, but unless you are feeling brake fade i wouldnt freak out on it.

i do recomend a full checkover, but without someone who knows what to look for you cant really say what it will or wont need. the recommended maintenance intervals in service manuals tend to be on the "soon" side, so if you stick to them, your are doing well. just curious, how many miles on it?

oh, and as for the squeal, before you sand the rotors.. id lightly sand the brake pad first. its most likey shiny and glazed.

the main reason i even said anything is even though he is doing it himself, some other people might read it and think all this needs to be done after every winter. if they dont do their own work, they could end up paying for alot of work they dont need at a stealership.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #26
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
aspire? someday? im allready a mechanic as a full time job, bro. dont hate on me dude, i even offered to go help him as well.
I'm not "hating" on you, calm down. It was only a couple of months ago iirc that you were looking for any job in the motorcycle biz so you could learn to do mechanic work. It takes more than a few months to become a real mechanic, and I'm not talking about a "master" mechanic. Besides, I thought you were just doing assembly and make ready?

Quote:
besides, its a 04 gsxr thats been sitting for 3 months, not a 94 katana that been sitting for 3 years.
Doesn't matter. You of all people (a "full time" mechanic) should know what happens to fluids which sit in metal containers or have metal parts in contact with them do over a period of a few months. , gasoline can varnish in that time with the right conditions. I had to replace an injector recently because of a similar problem with old fuel in my tank- three months old.
Quote:

like i said, none of that stuff will hurt, so if you got the itch, by all means scratch it. your probably due for a brake fluid flush sometime this year, but unless you are feeling brake fade i wouldnt freak out on it.
"Brake fade" is the least of the concerns, though it would be at least one of them. My biggest concern would be brake failure with condensation in the lines/ reservoir, not to mention the possibility of piston seizure from it.

Quote:
oh, and as for the squeal, before you sand the rotors.. id lightly sand the brake pad first. its most likey shiny and glazed.
If you have to sand the rotors, it's a sure bet you'll need to surface the pads too.

Quote:
the main reason i even said anything is even though he is doing it himself, some other people might read it and think all this needs to be done after every winter. if they dont do their own work, they could end up paying for alot of work they dont need at a stealership.
It does need to be done every time the bike sits up for that long (whether it be winter storage or whatever). An educated person (like the guy is trying to be here about such things) would not have unnecessary work done at a "stealership" (funny, isn't a "stealership" paying your bills?).

Simply, the maintenance items I and others have outlined here are stupid cheap items to do, especially if you do it yourself. While it's true that bikes generally do well in this part of Texas as far as storage, condensation and electrolysis are two of the biggest problems bikes face when sitting up. The crankcase oil can literally turn in to an acid while sitting from it's exposure and mixture with the products of combustion and different metal materials swimming around in it- not to mention all of the clutch material.

These maintenance items are cheap, and there is no good reason why you shouldn't do them, and learn to do it yourself. Good on ya XAFLATOONX for trying to learn about it!

As I mentioned before, you can pay a little and do the maintenance right, or you can pay a LOT in repairs later. Everyone has a choice.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 02-18-2008 at 12:25 AM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #27
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
ive been doing setup mainly during the slow season, but before that repairs and maintenance as well. im looking forward to things picking up if the weather would stay nice for more than a day. setup is okay, but id rather be cleaning carbs, changing tires and brakes, chasing after electrical gremlins, that kind of thing.

there is a difference between a dealership and a stealership, though the difference really depends on ethics of the staff and management employed there at the time more than anything. we have a good crew at the moment.

much of whats said i agree with, ive just never heard of needing to flush brakes and coolant after a winter. but based on what your saying ill do some more research though, hows that?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #28
ThomAss
I like to ride

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

To solve your problem, ride it during the "winter".
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
much of whats said i agree with, ive just never heard of needing to flush brakes and coolant after a winter. but based on what your saying ill do some more research though, hows that?
Man, I know you're a good guy- don't take anything personally.

The dealio on proper motorcycle maintenance has always been staying on top of essential fluids and their life. It's easy to deduce that if this guy hasn't ridden in several months, and is asking about "what to do", likely, very likely, he didn't store it properly i.e. topping off the tank and adding "sta-bil", flushing and replacing all fluids like oil, coolant, brake fluid. It's an fore-gone conclusion too that the fluids very likely haven't been changed for some time prior to the storage too, as "regularly scheduled changes" may or may not have taken place.

Fluids don't last as long as people seem to expect while they're sitting up.

I'm sure you're doing a good job Chris, and I know you're a good guy, but simple maintenance items (that are cheap btw) are just a good thing to stay on top of, if not going a bit overkill with them
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #30
Eddy.T

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Diavel
2005 GSXR 600
2015 Ducati Diavel

Thanks Tom and Chris -

I appreciate you guys -

I would like to find someone who is close enough where i can ride to him and he would be able to help me with this ....

I will learn how to clean the carbs, oil change and flush and replace coolant/ brake fluids....

So i can do these periodically on my own next time...

The bike has 14xxx miles on it Chris - i know a lot...

anyone around to help out? on the weekend of march 1st?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #31
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

you dont have carbs! your bike is fuel injected!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #32
Eddy.T

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Diavel
2005 GSXR 600
2015 Ducati Diavel

Quote:
you dont have carbs! your bike is fuel injected!
ooooh boy - do i feel dumb....

so gsxr 600s are fuel injected?

well - i guess one less problem to worry about... lol

what about coolant and oil change - anyone wanna do it on the march 1st weekend and help a brother out ?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #33
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaflatoonx View Post

so gsxr 600s are fuel injected?
Still have to worry about the fuel, clogged injectors are no fun. I'd drain the fuel tank personally (if it smelled varnish-ee).

Advertisement