MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #61
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Mark/dnutz please post mentioned video.

Mark, Most of the poeple contributing to this thread have alot more seat time than you. Thus a little different perspective and experience. We have all picked someone off the tarmac alive and sometimes dead. You don't need to go super sonic speeds(over 110ish) to have a great SMR.

If you don't believe me check out this thread

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38999

I led the group and never went over 100.

I hope you don't take my post as an attack but rather as someone trying to help a newer rider out.

Peace.

Martin
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DPS...WTF are you thinking? Blanco Off Topic 66 11-11-2013 08:58 AM
wtf were they thinking pwned Off Topic 5 09-29-2010 07:09 AM
R U SERIOUS???? WTF ARE PEOPLE THINKING? TREE Off Topic 26 03-11-2009 06:41 PM
WTF ARE KIDS THINKING THESE DAYS FastLine Off Topic 33 11-05-2007 06:02 PM
YET ANOTHER WTF WERE YOU THINKING FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 01-07-2007 09:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #62
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by perot_80 View Post
I'm new here so I won't get into this debate too deep...only enough to express my concern and personal opinionl

I plan to ride with the group this Sunday. With that said, I'm always nervous riding with people I don't know/trust so this will determine how involved I get in the future. My philosophy is that I am not only responsible for myself but also everyone I'm riding with. It's bad enough dealing with all the cagers on the road...why add to it with irresponsible riding?! I plan to hang near the rear of the pack and observe. If I get left behind I know where to go and I'll take my time getting there.

As an more experienced rider I'm always careful to pay close attention to those less experienced and I would hope all MH members do the same. That's why I'm concerned with what Jetg has posted. I like a thrill as much as the next guy but I will not ride with people who put my life and the lives of others at risk.

It's risky every time we hop on the bike. Accident can and will happen...we all know this. If we weren't willing to take the risk we wouldn't have a bike.

So, with that said, let's have a great and safe ride this Sunday.

I can't remember how long you've been riding, but if you don't have a pretty good bit of experience riding fairly hard, DON'T. I used to go on the ride all the time, and I loved it. I still want to go sometimes as a matter of fact. It's a fun ride if ya have a good idea of what you're doing. . . but if you're not used to riding like that, it can get really ugly really quick. I quit going on it simply because I saw too many people go down, and don't want someone wrecking trying to keep up.
I won't badmouth the ride because as I said, I had a lot of fun doing it while I did, and I still consider some of the leaders of it friends. . . but you REALLY need to be ready for it.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #63
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Mark do you have that video of the ride meeting. I have never seen it, anyone have the link in question.

J
don't know about the video...but getting emergency contact info is importnant....I remember doing that a time or 2, but we were'nt hauling the mail on my ride though....
Old 02-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #64
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
i dont have a problem with his advise is just the part about calling the cops,will you let somebody tell you well you can't ride today or i will call the cops on you? he has some good points but on the cop part i think is b/s
I agree with Jet, I'll call the cops every weekend if it keeps somebody from getting killed.
And I wouldn't loose a bit of sleep over it. :/:

And the video is stupid.........

Last edited by BrutusTx; 02-15-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #65
perot_80
R6RAVEN

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6 Raven

Send a message via AIM to perot_80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch View Post
I can't remember how long you've been riding, but if you don't have a pretty good bit of experience riding fairly hard, DON'T. I used to go on the ride all the time, and I loved it. I still want to go sometimes as a matter of fact. It's a fun ride if ya have a good idea of what you're doing. . . but if you're not used to riding like that, it can get really ugly really quick. I quit going on it simply because I saw too many people go down, and don't want someone wrecking trying to keep up.
I won't badmouth the ride because as I said, I had a lot of fun doing it while I did, and I still consider some of the leaders of it friends. . . but you REALLY need to be ready for it.
I consider myself a pretty good rider (but then again, who doesn't). I can ride hard and hang at high speed but there's really no way for me to know for sure without going at least once. Worst case, if it gets too bad I'll just drop back and out. Thanks for the advice.

CP
Old 02-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #66
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Stabbing people in the back? Frag that, the 'back stabbers' are the one out there riding and acting like jackasses. The ones putting themselves and other on the road at risk.

..and you think Yankee would want people riding around at triple dig speeds on public roads? Do you REALLY think any of the people we've lost in the street would come back and condone this kinda stuff? WTF justifies one of us putting our entertainment above and beyond the safety and health of someone else?
Im sorry but I wont bash someone that is no longer with us. You sir need to get your facts straight. On one of the particular rides mentioned above (one of my first ever with this board) I was cruizing 115-120MPH AND WAS BEING LEFTFAR-FAR BEHIND by the rest of the group (with the person mentioned above). I know for a fact because my buddy rode his H-D that day and I was going SLOW so that he could stay up with me and about 110 is all it will do.

Plain and simple. Actions speak louder than words.

I have said all I can say. Peace be with all of you...
Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #67
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Quote:

I am not downing the ride, it is a awesome ride. I would never say different, I have enjoyed this ride and will probably ride it again. I just think it should be like the old days and invite only and keep it at moderate speed. No break neck speed and like it was said earlier ride with less riders make it 8 or so and keep it safe.

Same here. I'd really love to go again, just don't want the personal responsibility that will more than likely come with it.:/:
Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #68
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark954rr View Post
Im sorry but I wont bash someone that is no longer with us. You sir need to get your facts straight. On one of the particular rides mentioned above (one of my first ever with this board) I was cruizing 115-120MPH AND WAS BEING LEFTFAR-FAR BEHIND by the rest of the group (with the person mentioned above). I know for a fact because my buddy rode his H-D that day and I was going SLOW so that he could stay up with me and about 110 is all it will do.

Plain and simple. Actions speak louder than words.

I have said all I can say. Peace be with all of you...
so let's learn from mistakes....

I know I have...you will too one day...and hopefully you'll still be here to learn your lesson
Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #69
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

mark and everyone else - no posting of the video...

pm the link... kthx

Last edited by SBK Pilot; 02-15-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #70
perot_80
R6RAVEN

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6 Raven

Man, maybe I lived up in the country too long (Longview, TX) but we rode all the time, as often as we could. We were satisfied with cruising down country roads at 80-100mph and, thank , we never had an accident on a ride in 3 years. If this thread is a testement of things to come...

...maybe I don't really want to get involved with these rides. I'll just stick with the occasional rally or M&G.

CP
Old 02-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #71
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #72
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by perot_80 View Post
...maybe I don't really want to get involved with these rides. I'll just stick with the occasional rally or M&G.

CP
no BS....you've got a good head on your shoulders....80-100 mph is WAY MORE than enough when riding backroads....that is how the ride started 1+ years ago....now it seems to be a race for the finish line....1 sh*tty thing though,I saw a few friends in the video...I guess I still got friends who haven't learned yet:/:
Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #73
perot_80
R6RAVEN

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6 Raven

Quote:
Nice area out in Longview. Use to got the Tyler Junior College. I am not saying dont go on the ride, I am just saying I wouldnt with the SMR crew. Or at least with over 8+ bikes. That is my opinion, no one has to take what I say. I have now been called out by this post and others and stated just that my opinion. Might want to ask why it is that most people here do agree with what I am saying. Maybe it is due to the more experienced and seasoned riders on this board ??? I know that others are seasoned and experience, but the make up of this board is more experienced.

J
Yeah, and I guess I'm trying to figure out where I am in the midst of all this experience. Guess I'll figure out where I stand in comparison to everyone once we start riding together.

CP
Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #74
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Quote:
Nice area out in Longview. Use to got the Tyler Junior College. I am not saying dont go on the ride, I am just saying I wouldnt with the SMR crew. Or at least with over 8+ bikes. That is my opinion, no one has to take what I say. I have now been called out by this post and others and stated just that my opinion. Might want to ask why it is that most people here do agree with what I am saying. Maybe it is due to the more experienced and seasoned riders on this board ??? I know that others are seasoned and experience, but the make up of this board is more experienced.

J

I have to agree. Going out there was some of the best times I've had on a bike. Until the groups are a bit more controlled though I'll just do something else on Sundays.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #75
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

I dont mean to interupt everyone but how exactly did this all start, this discussion I mean.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #76
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
no BS....you've got a good head on your shoulders....80-100 mph is WAY MORE than enough when riding backroads....that is how the ride started 1+ years ago....now it seems to be a race for the finish line....1 sh*tty thing though,I saw a few friends in the video...I guess I still got friends who haven't learned yet:/:
+1

Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #77
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch View Post
I have to agree. Going out there was some of the best times I've had on a bike. Until the groups are a bit more controlled though I'll just do something else on Sundays.
hang out with with that young guy Clyd-o and those he rides with....BigComfy, Scorpio, JonEric, etc....those guys have a blast running the backroads at respectable speeds...even respectable by law enforcement agancies
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #78
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
hang out with with that young guy Clyd-o and those he rides with....BigComfy, Scorpio, JonEric, etc....those guys have a blast running the backroads at respectable speeds...even respectable by law enforcement agancies
We even have some of the ladies with us

Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #79
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
We even have some of the ladies with us