MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Jet for Mod!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DPS...WTF are you thinking? Blanco Off Topic 66 11-11-2013 08:58 AM
wtf were they thinking pwned Off Topic 5 09-29-2010 07:09 AM
R U SERIOUS???? WTF ARE PEOPLE THINKING? TREE Off Topic 26 03-11-2009 06:41 PM
WTF ARE KIDS THINKING THESE DAYS FastLine Off Topic 33 11-05-2007 06:02 PM
YET ANOTHER WTF WERE YOU THINKING FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 01-07-2007 09:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #22
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
JetGWIFE

Sometimes we pick and choose hobbies that can be dangerous. I have much respect for everyone who does ride bikes it is a very skilled sport and hobby. It is fine if people want to ride on the streets but sometimes I think people tend to over look the big picture that it can be an unsafe thing, but if we would sometimes just think about where and how we should go about riding bikes it for the most part can save lives. I will say yes accidicents do happen but we have to ask ourselves is it because we are riding out of our limits or was it just a freak accidient. Yes, people do get hurt and they do get killed and we all know that yes those who are killed will not come back.

I also know that we can learn from our friends and our peers in the things that happen to them.

This is just my opinion, but when we learn and listen to others you can gain people's respect especially when experience riders try to help others by letting the public aware of what the probability are of certain rides as like the sunday ride.

JetGwife
Old 02-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #24
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Runner, or Micheal, is an incredible guy. You'd be so lucky to know someone like him. He has been off of the scene for a while, and does not know Jimmy or anything about the SMR's. Give him a break.
Now that you mention that Tim, here is something interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jimmyandrunner.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	9400  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #25
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd View Post
Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
Old School RR

Bike(s):
1999 Honda 900RR....sold
2003 Z1000...currently on the disabled list

Send a message via Yahoo to Old School RR
I am sure everyone has done something illegal while riding at some point ie. speeding or something. But i kinda agree with Jet. This kind of fast paced riding that is being described should be performed at a track.

I haven't been to a track day, isn't the point of riding at a track to become a better rider and have fun. Different classes from novice to expert right. So why doesn't everyone get the picture.

Riding on the streets has its feeling of freedom and what ever else you want to call it. But we need to be more responsible plain and simple.

We need more seasoned riders like jet to speak out. Different motorcycle clubs have consequences for riding like an idiot. Punishments handed out by elders. Its a way to keep the bad publicity away from the group. This should be considered.

My thoughts.....now the haters can start hating on me. I don't care.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #27
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Okay so I voice my opinion. I am sorry if you dont agree and it is not popular with some folks. But I am and try to be a POSITIVE person in the motorcycle community.

Here is a little detail about the ride, the speeds of this ride are just break neck speeds. Lets put this into prespective, there have been minimum of 15 people go down, lets say this has been a open and public ride for say 10 months. Lets just assume that 3 sundays are ran each month, due to weather or whatever cause it dont get run every sunday. That is 30 times this has been run in the past 10 months, and 15 people went down. Those are astounding odds. Why would anyone that is a experienced rider, try and take newbies on this ride and ride at that pace. It is just a matter of time till someone is killed. I am sorry if I make the cops aware of this ride, and make it the way it should be invite only. I am not one to call the cops for anything, but in this case if I can SAVE ONE PERSONS LIFE THEN SO BE IT. I know we all have personal responsibility and we all ride differnt, I am not saying dont ride or not to do this ride at all.

1 Question, I have heard over and over about we are responsible for our own ride, what happens when someone that you dont know comes in on you in a turn ??? that causes your wreck and possible DEATH. What happens if someone is riding over there head and they stand the bike up and they take you out mid corner ???

The reason for my doing what I am doing and saying what I said is to try and save any innoccent person that is on the street with these people. It is one think to kill yourself but to kill someone else it not right.

As for the YANKEE post earlier. Mark you have your opinion and I have mine. At not point did I say it was going to bring anyone back. But we as experienced riders have a responsibilty for the people we ride with. IF someone goes down, are you going to wait for them ?? or are you just going to take off and say good luck. This has happened on this ride and people left one person there, to help the person that was down. WOW really that is not a person I would like to ride with would YOU ????

As I said I am a person of my word and I will be contacting all the counties and I will contact each and everyone of them to try and save that one life.

Next thing is just maybe just maybe, willed me to do what I am doing to save that one persons life. SO be it, if you dont like it then I am sorry for the differnce of opinion.

J
Jet, the problem with what you are doing is that nobody will ever know that by doing what you say you will do, you saved their life. You are indirectly saving their life and by doing so, they never knew it was saved. I commend you for trying. someone may go to jail for speeding due to the cop you called, and in the process they were not able to take the next turn at 135mph and hit the slick spot left by a bikes leaking radiator and cause them to wreck and die. they will forever remember the cop called out by you, but never know that saved their life.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #28
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

i like the red paint on the roads... lets me know when the corners are coming up. kind of like cones at the track, lol!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #29
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #30
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Runner, or Micheal, is an incredible guy. You'd be so lucky to know someone like him.
Weren't similar things were said about Roger/Kos?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #31
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Wow! Runner is Micheal, or was Micheal. This is spooky! There was a member on this board a couple of years ago named runner

I stand corrected Arturo.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #32
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Weren't similar things were said about Roger/Kos?
I'm sure they were, but there was another user named Runner. See below

Picture004
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #34
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:

Picture004
yup, thats the michael (runner) i know too from meets with the SW Pros, lake livingston meet, and other meet and greets. he works at saturn in a body shop. same guy.

very nice guy! seems wierd that they use the same computer though. maybe at work?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #35
perot_80
R6RAVEN

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6 Raven

Send a message via AIM to perot_80
I'm new here so I won't get into this debate too deep...only enough to express my concern and personal opinionl

I plan to ride with the group this Sunday. With that said, I'm always nervous riding with people I don't know/trust so this will determine how involved I get in the future. My philosophy is that I am not only responsible for myself but also everyone I'm riding with. It's bad enough dealing with all the cagers on the road...why add to it with irresponsible riding?! I plan to hang near the rear of the pack and observe. If I get left behind I know where to go and I'll take my time getting there.

As an more experienced rider I'm always careful to pay close attention to those less experienced and I would hope all MH members do the same. That's why I'm concerned with what Jetg has posted. I like a thrill as much as the next guy but I will not ride with people who put my life and the lives of others at risk.

It's risky every time we hop on the bike. Accident can and will happen...we all know this. If we weren't willing to take the risk we wouldn't have a bike.

So, with that said, let's have a great and safe ride this Sunday.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #36
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

Picture004
I was making a different point...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #37
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
yup, thats the michael (runner) i know too from meets with the SW Pros, lake livingston meet, and other meet and greets. he works at saturn in a body shop. same guy.

very nice guy! seems wierd that they use the same computer though. maybe at work?
True, great guy.....but a bizarre coincidence indeed
Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #38
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I was making a different point...
Ahhh. OK. I follow you now. Wasn't sure which direction you were going with that. And you are correct, my fellow biker!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #39
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by perot_80 View Post
I'm new here so I won't get into this debate too deep...only enough to express my concern and personal opinionl

I plan to ride with the group this Sunday. With that said, I'm always nervous riding with people I don't know/trust so this will determine how involved I get in the future. My philosophy is that I am not only responsible for myself but also everyone I'm riding with. It's bad enough dealing with all the cagers on the road...why add to it with irresponsible riding?! I plan to hang near the rear of the pack and observe. If I get left behind I know where to go and I'll take my time getting there.

As an more experienced rider I'm always careful to pay close attention to those less experienced and I would hope all MH members do the same. That's why I'm concerned with what Jetg has posted. I like a thrill as much as the next guy but I will not ride with people who put my life and the lives of others at risk.

It's risky every time we hop on the bike. Accident can and will happen...we all know this. If we weren't willing to take the risk we wouldn't have a bike.

So, with that said, let's have a great and safe ride this Sunday.
You can ride with whomever you want to. In my experience riding in Texas back roads there are alot of obstacles and any rider can get caught up in the moment and haul . If there is a ride with minor mechanical mishaps and other accidents I would stay away, especially with large groups (8 or more).

Having them speed through counties and towns, splashing red paint on the road like a refrence point, putting on stunt shows in front of private property, etc is something that does not put a positive light on bikers. I dont want to go out there because some came down and just f.ucked it up for me in one year.

Most have done this type of ride before but you can only play with a loaded gun so many times before it goes off.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #40
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
I like it here on MH, for the reason of the people this board makes up. We as a whole/group. Try to educate and help fellow riders. We try and tell people to wear all the gear and for the most part in a positive fashion. I only wish I had people to guide me when I was learning. I have rode the track which in my opinion made me a better rider. I am still SLOW as molassis but I dont care, I am proud to be the ride I am and only experience will make me a better rider.

I dont think anyone will ever change my mind about this.

I know for a fact that I am a BETTER rider than before I went on any of these "death rides" that everyone is so scared of.

I dont care what you do to try and change anything cause people that are gonna ride fast and get hurt are gonna do it. Regardless of what group/ride they go on!

LOOK AT THE RIDERS MEETING VIDS. They started a contact list for emergencies, give everyone the rundown before they start & stop before they get to certain spots that can cause people trouble. They even went as far as to have a sweeper with a truck/trailer. I BET $$$ THAT YOU HAVEN'T CARED ENOUGH TO DO THAT ON ANY OF YOUR RIDES. :dontknow:
Closed Thread

Advertisement