MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Andy
Draped up
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 240


Bike(s):
2004 R6









Taking it to the track! SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE needed!

So..I have been wanting to get a track bike for the longest now. And everytime I see Tony (HouseofPain) he tells me I should go to the track and it makes me want to go more.

So I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a nice decent 02 and up bike to turn into a track bike? Also, in getting a track bike..what do I have to know/need before I get one, like extra fairings? Take out headlights? Stuff like that.

Basically, please me know everything you know about becoming a track rider, what I'll need, need to know, etc etc.

In less than a month, I'll have about 3500-4000 to throw in for a track bike and track suit etc.

I still beat myself up for not being able to buy nutmegchoi's 2500 dollar gsxr.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Needed KhmerStyle How To's and Q & A's 6 06-20-2014 10:48 PM
prank idea taking suggestions zampano Off Topic 6 10-02-2009 05:54 PM
Advice Needed ThomasNinja650 Off Topic 2 08-06-2008 11:03 PM
Track Day advice needed... Grinchy Taking it to the Track 80 11-25-2007 01:16 PM
Help/advice needed BigComfy Off Topic 1 06-26-2007 12:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
txgsxrbob
THE SH*T STARTER IS BACK
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 290 @ mason --cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,859


Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1K SOLD !
2012 R1 Moto GP replica # 1287








MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GEAR,INSC on bike,INSC on you & a good SAFE time & listen to instructors !!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by abelrob View Post
I would join in but my KAWI is BROKE THE FU*K down again SO I BOUGHT A BUSA !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
NOW WHERE IS TXGSXRBOB WHEN WE NEED HIM????
txgsxrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So..I have been wanting to get a track bike for the longest now. And everytime I see Tony (HouseofPain) he tells me I should go to the track and it makes me want to go more.

So I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a nice decent 02 and up bike to turn into a track bike? Also, in getting a track bike..what do I have to know/need before I get one, like extra fairings? Take out headlights? Stuff like that.

Basically, please me know everything you know about becoming a track rider, what I'll need, need to know, etc etc.

In less than a month, I'll have about 3500-4000 to throw in for a track bike and track suit etc.

I still beat myself up for not being able to buy nutmegchoi's 2500 dollar gsxr.

First of all, take your bike to the track to see if speed and cornering is for you. There are five types of bikers; posers - just like to have one to show how cool he/she is.
cruisers - loud type twins, rugged looking, tough wanna be
stunters- tricks with their bikes
drag racers- fast in short distance
road racer- fast in straight and in corners.

which one is you? If you enjoy going to the track to haul and learn what a sport bike is built for, then invest in a track bike. Sometime, first time rider wrecked on their first day at the track and gotten hurt and will not be coming back. Get full coverage on your bike and take it to the track is my opinion/advice to see if you like it.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Andy
Draped up
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 240


Bike(s):
2004 R6









Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
road racer- fast in straight and in corners.

which one is you?
I suppose I would be a road racer, but I am not too quick on corners, which is why I would like to buy a track bike and learn/go often and that I will not care too much about wrecking the bike if I do, I want to get really good on the track and basically switch from street biking to track only.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss
 
04RSVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: League City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,195

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped







smart move on looking for a track bike, but I suggest you look for your gear first and take your bike out to a NOOB day or day with a beginners group. You have a great bike for it already.

if you think you will switch to track only then why not buy a set of track fairings for your bike and swap them out for the track day?
__________________
I believe in luck. The harder I work the more luck I seem to have.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I suppose I would be a road racer, but I am not too quick on corners, which is why I would like to buy a track bike and learn/go often and that I will not care too much about wrecking the bike if I do, I want to get really good on the track and basically switch from street biking to track only.
like I said, take your r6 to see if it is for you. Don't be so quick to invest it in road racing until you have at least 4 trackdays to really know the cost and risks.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
smart move on looking for a track bike, but I suggest you look for your gear first and take your bike out to a NOOB day or day with a beginners group. You have a great bike for it already.

if you think you will switch to track only then why not buy a set of track fairings for your bike and swap them out for the track day?

level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,706

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I still beat myself up for not being able to buy nutmegchoi's 2500 dollar gsxr.

Well, if it's any good for you to know, the following trackday after Nutmeg sold the bike, the motor blew up...at least that's what I read somewhere on this forum....plenty of good trackbikes for sale.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Andy
Draped up
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 240


Bike(s):
2004 R6









Nah, you are misunderstanding me, I am not saying I am going to go to the track and start burning rubber around corners and straight aways, i WANT to go to a noob day and start from there.

I can't take my R6 anymore because I sold it awhile back.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
Andy
Draped up
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 240


Bike(s):
2004 R6









Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Well, if it's any good for you to know, the following trackday after Nutmeg sold the bike, the motor blew up...at least that's what I read somewhere on this forum....plenty of good trackbikes for sale.
Showww meeee haha. I have been looking online already for some track suits. I want to go to the Noob day coming up, since a couple of my friends are going.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Nah, you are misunderstanding me, I am not saying I am going to go to the track and start burning rubber around corners and straight aways, i WANT to go to a noob day and start from there.

I can't take my R6 anymore because I sold it awhile back.
sorry, shoulda change your profile.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
rc51eviltwin
Senior Member
 
rc51eviltwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ODESSA,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 843

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











IMO you're better off buying an ex-race bike.
most of them have the suspension work already in it and all the goodies.
i bought an Sv650 for $3800 and it was ready to go.
sold it to buy newer gsxr600 (07)i would build into a track bike,
what a mistake,bought the bike for $4500 and after i got the body work, suspension (rear shock),damper,exhaust,power commander,air filter and safety wired it i prolly have $8K in it.
after a season of trackdays it just dont make sence to burn it on the street anymore to me.....
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
ROADandTRACK
Senior Member
 
ROADandTRACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antone
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 666

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list









Buy sprockets and dont ask other guys what they run.
Try them, till you find what works for you.
__________________
Have a beer w/ FEAR.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,798

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Buy sprockets and dont ask other guys what they run.
Try them, till you find what works for you.
+1 billion!
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #15
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,474


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Showww meeee haha. I have been looking online already for some track suits. I want to go to the Noob day coming up, since a couple of my friends are going.


I found a bike you might be interested in but first a little advice.
IMHO you should get a bike that has a clear title. Salvage titles are fine but I would stay away from bikes that have only a bill of sale/no title. There are just too many out there that have titles and that little piece of paper will be good to have if you need to prove ownership, especially when you decide to sell it later.

On the CMRA website near the top is a toolbar in small letters. Click Mboard (message board) and go to the for sale section. A guy named Peter Schroth is selling a 2004 R6 for $3500. Add $550 for the Penske rear shock and you will have a sweet track bike.

Disclaimer: I don't know this guy, I just saw the ad and am passing it along. This website is where I found my track bike and it worked out well for me.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,798

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





There's also an SV with spares and street parts for $2000 in the non-member and test forum. Seemed like a good deal, and that price is very good for what he's offering.
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #17
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,474


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Well we tried to help you out bro. guess your busy.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
rc51eviltwin
Senior Member
 
rc51eviltwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ODESSA,TX
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 843

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











there is another R6 for 3500 being sold by craig montgomery and has a penske triple and the rest of the goodies.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #19
ChemiKaze
Senior Member
 
ChemiKaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NoDal
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 154


Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR









Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
IMO you're better off buying an ex-race bike.
most of them have the suspension work already in it and all the goodies.
i bought an Sv650 for $3800 and it was ready to go.
sold it to buy newer gsxr600 (07)i would build into a track bike,
what a mistake,bought the bike for $4500 and after i got the body work, suspension (rear shock),damper,exhaust,power commander,air filter and safety wired it i prolly have $8K in it.
after a season of trackdays it just dont make sence to burn it on the street anymore to me.....
agreed.. or ask Gabe for some beaten new model bikes
__________________
Codename: Benzyl Potassium Hydroxide
Tagname: 2007 Red Wing Closed Body Racer Inline-4 599mL Race Ready
Tracks : HRC-OK, OHR, MSR-C, TWS (Texas World Speedway).

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #20
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
for decent track gear....here's what you'll expect to spend....

$800 leathers
$350 helmet
$80 gloves
$150 back protector
$300 boots

track bike....just buy one already prepped for track, or someone's previous race bike. i've got over $10k invested in my bike, and if i was to do it again, i'd buy someone else's race bike. get a basic suspension setup on whatever bike you get ($25), and start from there.

each trackday expect to spend about $300 in gas/food/trackday

if you crash, can get expensive.

sign up for buck's noob day and i'll help you in the paddocks and on the track. you got my number andy, give me a shout if you got any questions.
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy