MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

Rain-out insurance...

A unique aspect of LMS is that they are a "partner" with MSRH.
I can't imagine that LMS rents MSRH for their events. I imagine that there is some kind of revenue share plan in place because their events are held during a normal member day weekend.

All other track day organizations are private companies that must rent and pay for the facilities, rain or shine.
Occasionaly I have been able to negotiate terms with certain tracks under certain conditions but those situations are rare.
I have given Buck props previously for the unique relationship he has fostered with MSRH.

If LMS held any events outside of MSRH I doubt he would be able to "call off " a track day due to weather. Sorry for posting in your thread Buck but I felt I should comment of the ongoing debate on the tracks weather policy.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ready for the rain? Rain suit jimrad Gear Talk 6 08-30-2011 10:39 AM
"Rain Rain Check" 8/16/09 Sunday Morning - *SHNF TRAILS* Dualsport/Motard/Dirtbike PimpDaub Events, Meets and Rides 33 08-17-2009 01:34 PM
RAIN! Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 03-03-2008 12:21 PM
RAIN RAIN GO AWAY! ownage General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 02-01-2006 08:38 PM
MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE/CAR INSURANCE PETE General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 11-06-2005 03:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Rain-out insurance...

For those of you who participate in trackdays. Would you be willing to pay an additional "non-refundable" fee to ensure you don't lose your ENTIRE trackday fee in the event of a rain/snow/sleet out???

For example, trackday orgs and track owners determine to break somewhat "even" they need to make 60 dollars per participant. In addition to your normal trackday fees, you could pay this optional "rain-out fee" to have some sort of insurance for your trackday. Now, if it doesn't rain....you are out your additional $50 bucks, but you have the "guarantee" that if it rains you get MOST of your money back.

To me, it seems like a win-win situation....Trackday owners and organizations would benefit from both ends....rain or shine.

If the fee was relatively inexpensive (50 bucks or so), would you purchase such insurance to give you piece of mind?

Just looking for some feedback
Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Maybe....but prob not only b/c I like riding in the rain.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Maybe....but prob not only b/c I like riding in the rain.
you're a freak...just like MOE.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
you're a freak...just like MOE.
I've been called worse things
Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i dont mind riding in the rain, but on the track in the rain would prob suck big time.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i've been thinking about this upcoming trackday this weekend...I think we are gonna get slammed...so I am only bringing the motard out...you can't break much on these...I can't wait!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
i dont mind riding in the rain, but on the track in the rain DOES suck big time.
here ya go, i fixed it for you

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
i dont mind riding in the rain, but on the track in the rain would prob suck big time.
actually it's pretty cool. You get to see when and where your tires and suspension start working.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
actually it's pretty cool. You get to see when and where your tires and suspension start working.
I couldn't care less...I don't ride the street anymore and even if I did I wouldn't be pushing the limits in the rain to test my tires and suspension. I'll never be a full blown race professional (or amatuer for that fact) and I like to go fast....therefore riding in the rain serves absolute zero purpose for me. I know how to ride in the rain...cautious and slow....and I well know 99% of TD participants do not enjoy (or rather look forward to) riding in the rain.

I'm suprised others haven't chimed in....we'll wait a couple of weeks when peeps get rained out and get the short end of the stick....I'll make sure to bump this thread then

As Radar said in another thread...what keeps Ride Smart, LSTD, TTD (or any other TD org) from forming the same type of relationship that Buck has with MSRH??? Especially if they (the track orgs) have several years of business with these folks?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
and I well know 99% of TD participants do not enjoy (or rather look forward to) riding in the rain.

And another reason why I like the rain. Open track
Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
And another reason why I like the rain. Open track to ride supa slow
gheyness
Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
actually it's pretty cool. You get to see when and where your tires and suspension STOP working.

fixed
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

lets wait fo Moe to chime in.

Last edited by BigComfy; 02-13-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: flippin censorship !
Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
here's my thoughts on this....

the additional fee is not gonna happen, if that was the case, all the track orgs will just up all their fees, and have a different rain policy.

buck (LMS) has always shown his betterside when it comes to high chances of rain. LSTD has also shown that they are willing to cancel a trackday due to dangerous conditions as well (gss, end of last season). i've "HEARD" ridesmart did once last year....but i guess sleet and hail wasn't dangerous enough last year in march/april for them to cancel out. i really hope ridesmart has gotten "smart" about this year. i'm sure if it happens again, people DEFINATELY will not be riding with them anymore, since we now have 5-6 trackday orgs in texas.

i just don't see a "rain insurance policy" working out for any of the orgs. a lil rain here and there is fine, but lakes on the track, sleet, ice, hail should be a deciding factor to shut the place down and offer trackday credit.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #16
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

This is a difficult question. The problem in this discussion has more to do with the track than the organization. Buck's relationship w/ MSRH is the exception to the rule. I'm sure if Ride Smart & LSTD could get TWS (Texas World Speedway) to agree to the terms they wanted they would. But, the truth is the track dicates the rental agreement.

I have ridden w/ LSTD and Ride Smart when an event has been cancelled the morning of the event and credits given for another day. I have also ridden w/ both organizations when it was raining on the morning of the event and it went on as scheculed.

That's why there are major advantages of holding events at certain tracks on certain days. Case and point is TWS (Texas World Speedway) has a no refund policy on weekend trackdays. You rent, you ride. You don't have to ride, but the renter pays the trackfee no matter what. Ride Smart or LSTD rents on Sat or Sun they are paying for the track no matter what. In this case you cannot hold the org (Ride Smart, LSTD, etc) responsible for not giving you a credit in the event of rain.

Cresson on the other hand has a very good policy for weekday trackdays. The renter can reschedule the event to another day as close as an hour or 2 to the event starting. In that case the track renter (Ride Smart, LSTD, etc) can get up check the weather and make the call whether to proceed.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

I'm not sure this make financial sense. Trackday is let's say $150. Plus rain insurance $50. The cost now becomes $200. Two track days I've now paid $400, where as before I would have paid $300 if they didn't get rained out. If one gets rained out I get, what? $75 dollars back? So I paid $375 for two track days. Where as I would have paid $350 before.

So let's say I do 10 trackdays at a cost of $1500 at todays cost and I have one rain out. So I lost out on one track day. Or I pay $2000 of 10 trackdays with the insurance. I have one rain out and I get $75 back. My total cost is $1925. So rain out insurance for the 10 track days has cost me $425 dollars more than if I didn't pay insurance.

Let me know if I have something wrong here?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
I'm not sure this make financial sense. Trackday is let's say $150. Plus rain insurance $50. The cost now becomes $200. Two track days I've now paid $400, where as before I would have paid $300 if they didn't get rained out. If one gets rained out I get, what? $75 dollars back? So I paid $375 for two track days. Where as I would have paid $350 before.

So let's say I do 10 trackdays at a cost of $1500 at todays cost and I have one rain out. So I lost out on one track day. Or I pay $2000 of 10 trackdays with the insurance. I have one rain out and I get $75 back. My total cost is $1925. So rain out insurance for the 10 track days has cost me $425 dollars more than if I didn't pay insurance.

Let me know if I have something wrong here?
You have it right, but it is optional....I'd pay for insurance when the risk is high (early Spring, late fall/winter) .....mid-July and I wouldn't purchase it....
Old 02-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Moe is a waterhead,
He loves rain days on the track SERIOUSLY
Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #20
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor