MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #21
Twitch
yep.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CRF250x

Send a message via AIM to Twitch Send a message via MSN to Twitch
And the headaches are gay as . So im glad i no longer live with that burden.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
for those that try to diet healthy jptshadow Health and Fitness 22 10-12-2011 09:33 PM
healthy living ends friday at 4pm urbanXJ Off Topic 14 04-22-2010 01:15 PM
Not healthy enough to kill...... tonyt915 Off Topic 7 03-13-2010 08:04 PM
Healthy breakfast? Hooligan Health and Fitness 21 10-16-2009 08:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #22
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
1. The BMI says I am obese, should I be worried?
not really, based on bmi, i am obese... im 220lbs @ 13% bodyfat, far from obese. the bmi is flawed... use a bodyfat caliper to determine how much overweight you are, or a mirror.

Quote:
2. I eat ground turkey instead of ground beef, it is healthier. true or false?
depends on the turkey and the ground beef we are talking about... grass fed-lean ground beef is one of the healthiest sources of protein a person can get.

Quote:
3. Women genetically have less fat then men. true or false?
this is just common sense

Quote:
4. If I eat a fat free diet I can't get fat. true or false?
f

Quote:
5. Are you familiar with the term Glycemic Index?
y

Quote:
6. Sit-ups are bad for you. true or false?
f

Quote:
7. Men have stronger abdominal muscles than women. true or false?
men generally have stronger muscles period... thank you testosterone

Quote:
8. When does your body burn the highest percentage of calories using it's stored fat?
usually after heavy compound lifting (if cortisol levels are low)... there is gonna be alot of different answers here...
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #23
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
In that case, I'll answer that question right away.

For most people it will be when they are sleeping. You see, I said PERCENTAGE of calories from fat.

The human body is very smart and efficient. Of the three methods the body has for burning energy, using fat stores is the least efficient. However, since fat is also the largest source of energy the body has, it will default to it as much as possible.

Therefore, when the body can afford to convert fat to energy for almost all of its needs is also the time when your needs are at it's lowest.

Now, before I get people thinking they should sleep themselves skinny I will explain this a bit more so it makes sense.

A quick example:

If you are sleeping you are burning very few calories per hour. Lets say 50.
IF your body is converting enough fat to make up 90% of that, you are burning 40 fat calories per hour.

If you are running you may be burning 1000 calories an hour. Your body may only be using fat for 40% of those calories, a much lower PERCENTAGE than while at rest, but that is still 400 fat calories per hour.

That is a very basic explanation but it is true nonetheless. You will burn the highest percentage of calories from fat when you are at rest/sleeping.

SO, if is the answer for you, I feel sorry for your partner.
ahhhh, kinda a tricky question. well, besides sleeping... one of the most efficient ways to degrade fat is by heavy compound lifting. these types of excersizes spike metabolism and make your body burn more calories throughout the day. your diet and insulin sensitivity (altered by using the GI) along with many other factors determine the percent of calories that are burned from fat/food/muscle... this is the science behind eating/excersizing to get a certain result.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #24
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Here is a quiz to get you started:

Not necessarily! BMI fails to account for larger builds. Example, Arnold Schwarzeneger, according to BMI is obese. Michael Jordan, over weight. I am pretty close to obese, even when i get down to 12% body fat I'm still overweight by BMI standards.
However, if you are obese or overweight by BMI standards, you should look into it and get an educated opinion.

2. I eat ground turkey instead of ground beef, it is healthier. true or false?
If you read the label and shop carefully, it may very well be. Remember, it says ground turkey, it doesn't say what part of the turkey is ground up in there. I have seen ground turkey that had much higher fat content than a lot of ground beef options.

3. Women genetically have less fat then men. true or false?
This is false. Due to the whole pregnancy thing, women genetically have more body fat than women. Even if you compared top body builders from each gender, the female would have more. Remember, fat is not just stored on the surface.

4. If I eat a fat free diet I can't get fat. true or false?
As stated earlier, calories are calories. The body is programmed to survive. If you consume more than you burn, the body will store extra calories as fat. It will consume some energy (calories) in the conversion process though.

5. Are you familiar with the term Glycemic Index?
If not, take a minute to look it up. The short and sweet version

candy bar = refined sugar = high GI = quick energy
if you don't use that energy, it gets converted to fat.

apple = un refined sugar = lower GI = slow burning energy
if you eat the same calories of apple as you do candy bar, you have more time to burn the calories from the apple (lower GI food) than from the candy bar. Most likely you will store less of those calories as fat.

6. Sit-ups are bad for you. true or false?
False. BUT, people have a tendancy to do them poorly. If you do them poorly you can hurt yourself.
Tips:
DO NOT clasp your hands behind your head. If you do you may pull on it and injure your neck
As with most exercises stick to the rule of thumb and move slowly. (yes, some training requires explosive movement. save that for another time)
look up. it will help you maintain posture.
do not curl your back, keep your upper body straight.

7. Men have stronger abdominal muscles than women. true or false?
pound for pound, false. Much like the body fat thing, women are genetically programed to have stronger abdominal regions to aid in child birth.

8. When does your body burn the highest percentage of calories using it's stored fat? when sleeping, see answer earlier in the thread.

That's all for tonight. Stay tuned for more.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #25
amber|alexis

Experience: 4 years

Member Garage

Question for all the health freaks/body builders/personal trainers etc..(i originally emailed a friend of mine this but have gotten no response..)

I, too, would like to get toned before summer. I am currently in the gym 3 days a week (m/w/f) before class for 30 minutes, doing cardio (I usually break it up between the elliptical and the treadmill)

SO i have the cardio down, but I would like to gain some muscle tone in my upper arms, thighs, and stomach. Can you give me some tips/workouts/workout machines that I should be using to do this? how many reps? What weight? What should i be eating/drinking in between workouts to help me reach my goal? Currently I am watching what I eat...my current diet:

breakfast: 1/2 cup kashi granola cereal, 1 cup skim milk
lunch: ususally a lean cuisine tv dinner
dinner: m/w/f - subway, 6" inch Subway club on honey oat w/chedder cheese, salt and pepper and oil and vinegar.
tues/thurs - chicken/rice/veggies

All I drink is water, except for the can of sugar free redbull in the morning.

Ive already lost SOME weight and I can see more definition in my calves from the treadmill + elliptical, but I want to incorporate weight training into my regimen as well. I dont want to bulk up (female weightlifters are nasty!) i just want to tone and de-flab myself.

Thanks, in advance, for any help

amber|alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #26
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

go to bodybuilding.com and check out the figure model section, they are most experienced in this matter... being "toned" is nothing more than being low bodyfat. you cannot "tone" a muscle by doing light weight high rep excersize. this is a myth. lift heavy (8-10 reps to failure) eat clean and at about 500 cals deficit, and you may put on a little lbm, but more importantly you will get rid of fat while holding onto muscle... do medium intensity cardio maybe 3-4 days a week and lift 4-5 days a week. dont forget your squats/deadlifts/military presses... these compound lifts raise your metabolism quite noticeably and will help to keep you leaner. your diet doesnt look that good, ill chime in later on it, and i can explain in better detail...

first person to chime in with "high rep low weight will tone your muscle" gets tbagged! ive trained quite a few females, and have trained with a few professional figure competitors and female bodybuilders.

its very hard for a female to get big and muscular... but the more muscle you have the easier it is to maintain it in a lean state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4i amber View Post
Question for all the health freaks/body builders/personal trainers etc..(i originally emailed a friend of mine this but have gotten no response..)

I, too, would like to get toned before summer. I am currently in the gym 3 days a week (m/w/f) before class for 30 minutes, doing cardio (I usually break it up between the elliptical and the treadmill)

SO i have the cardio down, but I would like to gain some muscle tone in my upper arms, thighs, and stomach. Can you give me some tips/workouts/workout machines that I should be using to do this? how many reps? What weight? What should i be eating/drinking in between workouts to help me reach my goal? Currently I am watching what I eat...my current diet:

dinner: m/w/f - subway, 6" inch Subway club on honey oat w/chedder cheese, salt and pepper and oil and vinegar.

Ive already lost SOME weight and I can see more definition in my calves from the treadmill + elliptical, but I want to incorporate weight training into my regimen as well. I dont want to bulk up (female weightlifters are nasty!) i just want to tone and de-flab myself.

the reason you see more definition in your calves is because your body is losing bodyfat in your lower legs first. remember its all genetic where your body pulls fat from... you cannot spot reduce fat.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #27
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4i amber View Post

Switch over to circuit training every other day until you obtain your summer results. From there you can maintain your results from proper diet, cardio and light lifting.
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #28
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

yes, you should make a concentrated effort to get fit and healthy

Not necessarily - BMI cannot be used as the sole measure of obesity.

If you take the BMI of many athletes it will say they are obese when in reality they are just very muscular and have low body fat percentage.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #29
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Well, I haven't changed a thing about my diet or beer intake...started running 2 1/2 miles 3 times a week and have lost 30 lbs since September....I've been bad about running for almost a month now, but will be starting again soon.....

running (or jogging perhaps) seems to work well enough for me.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #30
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

This is all good information and good advice for dieting/exercising. Also remember that 1 lb of fat is equal to about 3300 calories, so you're not going to be able to lose weight fast- if you are, it's not fat, it's water. Good luck to everybody trying to 'tighten' up!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #31
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
This is all good information and good advice for dieting/exercising. Also remember that 1 lb of fat is equal to about 3300 calories, so you're not going to be able to lose weight fast- if you are, it's not fat, it's water. Good luck to everybody trying to 'tighten' up!

I lost about 7 lbs a month....on average....

running 5 miles everyday for 2 weeks and you'll see significant weight loss....don't run for another week and that weight will be back
Old 02-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Anyone willing to suggest a method of working the legs with low impact exercises (without stressing an old injured knee)? I've been riding bicycles, and some roller blading. I won't go to the gym, and running kills me.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #33
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
Anyone willing to suggest a method of working the legs with low impact exercises (without stressing an old injured knee)? I've been riding bicycles, and some roller blading. I won't go to the gym, and running kills me.
swimming!

It's the best exercise you can do with bad knees! After my daughter's injury (not a knee) she was told to swim as much as possible- builds muscles/ lose weight/ increase endurance without putting stress on any joints.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
Stationary bike set on high resistance.
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #35
Scatter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months

any girls in the pearland area that want to be my work out buddy at the Y? i used to ride my bike 10 miles a day, but i stopped and i really want to tone up not just lose weight.

i would have said guys too, but unless you are 200 pounds over weight, don't bathe and have nasty skin i think 1mudbug would have a problem
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #36
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
i would have said guys too, but unless you are 200 pounds over weight, don't bathe and have nasty skin i think 1mudbug would have a problem
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #37
Twitch
yep.

Bike(s):
CRF250x

Send a message via AIM to Twitch Send a message via MSN to Twitch
already lost 5 pounds .. ggkthx.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #38
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #39
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Thnx for the suggestions, Moody and Squoddybody..

Advertisement