MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #21
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
i never said that it wasnt my fault .... i was my fault ... i should of went through it and scoped out the turns first ... i was just asking what others thought about gravel
well, riding through and scoping a road out still isnt a fail safe. It could have been clear when you rode through the first time, and someone threw up a whole mess of gravel just after you passed by.
There is an inherent risk in motorcycling, most of us just stack the odds in our favor by wearing the proper riding gear.

Khaki shirt.

Last edited by less_than_coop; 02-12-2008 at 05:38 PM.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Hate Gravel Salty General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 06-24-2013 09:52 AM
Watch for gravel all over the road jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-25-2011 10:35 AM
Nasty gravel Patches on 2819 setfast General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-19-2009 08:00 PM
Gravel rash !!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch Grinchy Off Topic 6 02-27-2008 07:59 PM
362 north of 1488--gravel! Monkeylawyer General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-10-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
well, riding through and scoping a road out still isnt a fail safe. It could have been clear when you rode through the first time, and someone through up a whole mess of gravel just after you passed by.
There is an inherent risk in motorcycling, most of us just stack the odds in our favor by wearing the proper riding gear.

yep.. what he said...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

proper gear saved my life
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Gixxer Geezer

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
i am glad you had it on.. werd.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #25
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
mine too. twice.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
well, riding through and scoping a road out still isnt a fail safe. It could have been clear when you rode through the first time, and someone through up a whole mess of gravel just after you passed by.

Ding ding ding. Riding a bike is dangerous period. The gear will help. And let's not even bring up an oil spill you hit oil your're going down.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Hmmm....if your able to ride through the first time to scope it out. What so different about the second time? Speed?

And Id have to agree on gravel being an excuse alot of times. Theres debris and gravel on most shoulders of the road. Most people go wide hit the gravel and then blame it on the gravel.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #28
JRxGRUBZx

Bike(s):
07 zx6r (rip)

man i just dont understand how people cant ride with gear on it just me off .. i see a group of black guys with baseball caps on on busas with a jordan jacket and some new nikes going to the club ...lol ....man ...or i see a white guy with a pair of sunshades on with his hair sliked back lmao.... i wear my gear all the way down ... well jeans for the legs ... and i put hat on the back of the bike ... now thats cool hahaha
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #29
Gixxer Geezer

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold

Quote:
man i just dont understand how people cant ride with gear on it just me off .. i see a group of black guys with baseball caps on on busas with a jordan jacket and some new nikes going to the club ...lol ....man ...or i see a white guy with a pair of sunshades on with his hair sliked back lmao.... i wear my gear all the way down ... well jeans for the legs ... and i put hat on the back of the bike ... now thats cool hahaha

dat be cool. grubster....

Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #30
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix600 View Post
Hmmm....if your able to ride through the first time to scope it out. What so different about the second time? Speed?

And Id have to agree on gravel being an excuse alot of times. Theres debris and gravel on most shoulders of the road. Most people go wide hit the gravel and then blame it on the gravel.
Man, dude on Lime creek this weekend I saw gravel right in the middle of the road. I have to admit I am looking for gravel it scares the out of me. But like I said sometimes you don't see it.

If radar sees this thread he will post a vid about a friend of ours that went down because of gravel and I bet this dude is a better rider than about 90% of the members here. He is a veteran racer and is about 60 I think now and he hit gravel and it was curtains.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #31
level5
moving chicane

gravel on the road are unavoidable and if you aren't hauling , gravel won't be a problem. Street cornering shouldn't be a knee dragging pace. If you obey traffic signs, laws, and ride with your head. Gravel is just a pebbles in the road.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #32
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
gravel on the road are unavoidable and if you aren't hauling , gravel won't be a problem. Street cornering shouldn't be a knee dragging pace. If you obey traffic signs, laws, and ride with your head. Gravel is just a pebbles in the road.
What if your wearing leathers then can it be at knee dragg'n pace?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #33
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post

yet another gixxerbillism
No, that would be: "I had to put my leg down to save it".

sometimes gravel happens but usually there is too much speed going into the corner that is the real problem.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #34
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
No, that would be: "I had to put my leg down to save it".

Whatever it was still a save. I think I am going to post another question about feet down to save a tricky situation?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #35
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
i am glad you had it on.. werd.
@ werd sorry man thought it was funny
Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #36
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Man, dude on Lime creek this weekend I saw gravel right in the middle of the road. I have to admit I am looking for gravel it scares the out of me. But like I said sometimes you don't see it.

If radar sees this thread he will post a vid about a friend of ours that went down because of gravel and I bet this dude is a better rider than about 90% of the members here. He is a veteran racer and is about 60 I think now and he hit gravel and it was curtains.
I said most people not all. My first wreck was due to gravel THAT I DID SEE in the middle of road. It was my first street bike (rebel 250). Back then I blamed it on the gravel, but really it was lack of experience.

But when I know someone was on a high speed ride, and they go off the road, I have a hard time accepting gravel, as the cause. (in most cases)
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #37
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If you don't know the road after several prior passes, then why put yourself through it at that speed? Not worth it. Things change on the road at least you would know whats around the corner and if you may have room to correct for a tire coming out.

As for roads you don't know; let others go before you; no shame in not being first or in the front of the pack... follow their line...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #38
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Well this is my opinion i hit a patch of gravel that is how i went down this last time I saw the gravel but i was in my line and had 2 choices hit it and try to hang through it or stand the bike up and hit a car in the opposite lane i chose the gravel i lost mine could have been avoided if i would have picked a different line but i didnt it was an accident THEY HAPPEN TO EVERYONE!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #39
JRxGRUBZx

Bike(s):
07 zx6r (rip)

well if you read my crshed zx thread you would of saw that i said the gravel was 50% percent of the reason i crashed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix600 View Post
I said most people not all. My first wreck was due to gravel THAT I DID SEE in the middle of road. It was my first street bike (rebel 250). Back then I blamed it on the gravel, but really it was lack of experience.

But when I know someone was on a high speed ride, and they go off the road, I have a hard time accepting gravel, as the cause. (in most cases)
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #40
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja View Post
Well this is my opinion i hit a patch of gravel that is how i went down this last time I saw the gravel but i was in my line and had 2 choices hit it and try to hang through it or stand the bike up and hit a car in the opposite lane i chose the gravel i lost mine could have been avoided if i would have picked a different line but i didnt it was an accident THEY HAPPEN TO EVERYONE!!!!!!
Quote:
well if you read my crshed zx thread you would of saw that i said the gravel was 50% percent of the reason i crashed
Gravel on the road is just like anything else on the road, hazard materials. Don't over brake, over speed or over lean. Scan ahead. I know it's hard to see until you are on top of it. Panic will put you down. Just be glad you both aren't seriously injured.

Racerx has his point, I can understand and related to what he's saying. I have gone down many times in my beginning years. Just my squidly mistakes.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement