Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #41
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

ive run nothing but 93 in the gixxa since the day i bought it (new). my wifes bike im sure has had all of them, but since we've owned it, its had nothing but 93 in it.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats a fair price for gas? RACER X Off Topic 15 01-09-2009 03:05 PM
GAS WHATS THE CHEAPEST YOU SEEN gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-29-2008 08:31 PM
Adam Raga Gas Gas TxSandman General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-27-2007 01:45 PM
Gas Mileage, whats urine? ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 05-28-2006 10:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #42
bignmz04
My better is better

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Shell is the best gas in the texas area. uses the newest tech in their refineries. I only sell Shell at my gas stations. it may cost me more and I make make less profit over other brands but it gives a store a loyal customers because most say they can feel the difference (bullshit ) with shell. shell also has better quality control when compared to other brands. this includes all three phases of transport. that is a good thing especially with the ethanol blends now.

would there be a market if i sold sunoco or vp racing fuel at my gas stations? been thinking about it.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #43
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
dude you and zxalan are like 2 peas in a pod bro must be a busa thing, but i never said for him to put in 120 octane, supreme is what, 90 sumthin? i know if he put 120 octane he would probaly blow his engine no doubt, so it does not help clean your engine? or just not in bikes? almost every car and most bikes manual will tell you to put in a minimum of 87, does that mean 93 will destroy it? and are you talking about the turbo boost in your bike?
93 octane will not destroy your bike. Running 87, if possible, will make the bike run more efficient. If there is detonation, you will need to switch to 93. The lower octane ignites and burns to completion quicker, this is why it detonates in higher compression engines. If allowed, it will give more power.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #44
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
whats up with all you guys running regular 87 octane fuel in your bikes?

just so you guys know, most of the modern bikes have HIGH COMPRESSION motors, which require a higher octane fuel. not because they're trying to sell you more expensive gas, but your engine needs it to help prevent detonation.

i run a minimum of 91 octane in my bikes....as for the truck and car...they get whatever the cheapest octane is available.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #45
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

if you read the owners manuel many(most) say run reg. high comp. or not.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #46
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post
market if i sold sunoco or vp racing fuel at my gas stations? been thinking about it.
i HIGHLY doubt it. i bricks when i have to dish out $75 for 5 gallons during a race weekend. let alone someone spending those bucks just to cruise around town. and those 5 gallons only last me about 20 miles

Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #47
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post

just so you guys know, most of the modern bikes have HIGH COMPRESSION motors, which require a higher octane fuel. not because they're trying to sell you more expensive gas, but your engine needs it to help prevent detonation.

i run a minimum of 91 octane in my bikes....as for the truck and car...they get whatever the cheapest octane is available.
You know Sh*t about Busa's so
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #48
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

busa manual says 87 octane...
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #49
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

so at what ratio is an engine considered high compression? i know sb talked about really high ratios like 30:1 but where does it start? 15:1? 20:1?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #50
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
You know Sh*t about Busa's so
hey you know what, i'm tired of your fckin talking you sorry sack of .

what is your purpose on this board? you just come on here to talk ? i at least put forth an effort to help this community out, you do nothing but run your fcking mouth...
so if you got something to say....why don't you come by my shop and say it to my face. or else STFU

3424 Louetta Rd
Spring, TX 77388

Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #51
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:

I'm telling you. You should run the lowest octane (on non-boosted motors) that your engine will allow. Up until you experience detonation, you will run the most efficient and obtain the most power this way.
Do a little research. It will help a lot.

See ya @ the track!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #52
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
busa manual says 87 octane...
unless you have a Turbo then your Good

I trust Johnny Cheese Performance
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #53
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
dude you and zxalan are like 2 peas in a pod bro must be a busa thing, but i never said for him to put in 120 octane, supreme is what, 90 sumthin? i know if he put 120 octane he would probaly blow his engine no doubt, so it does not help clean your engine? or just not in bikes? almost every car and most bikes manual will tell you to put in a minimum of 87, does that mean 93 will destroy it? and are you talking about the turbo boost in your bike?
not really a busa thing, just coincidence. i have worked on many many differnt kinds of vehicles, and helped to rebuild them... he has done the same. i've had college classes actually talk about the different fuels for like 6 weeks. and no, 120 octane would not blow his engine, but it definately wouldn't run for $hit!! higher octane WILL NOT destroy it... you just won't get quite as much power with a higher octane IF you could be running a lower octane with no detonation. the difference is most noticeable on a dyno. I know back when my bike was new, me and NoFear went to Austin and had our bikes run on the dyno... mine ran 9 HP more than his and he even has a slip on, my was ALL stock. some may have been difference in oil, but he also stated he was running premium and i was on regular.... coincidence, maybe, maybe not. i think not
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #54
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
I'm telling you. You should run the lowest octane (on non-boosted motors) that your engine will allow. Up until you experience detonation, you will run the most efficient and obtain the most power this way.
Do a little research. It will help a lot.
I took the liberty of a quick search off a trusted site...
Courtesy of rogueracing.org

"We've pretty much done the homework for you when it comes to testing various grades & brands of race fuels in the RC51 (or any other motorcycle for that part)
In hours & hours of dyno testing & Powercommander map building several key points were discovered some we intentionally set out to test others just came about on their own:

1. Standard Race Fuel (VP C12, C14, Sunoco 104, 100LL AvGas even high octane pump gas 96 or 100) ran straight on a stock RC51 motor will actually lose horsepower.

This is argued by many because the throttle response becomes crisper & is often mistaken for more performance when in truth the bike is making less power on the dyno sometimes by as much a 4-6hp. Many race fuels are designed for higher compression engines >13.0:1 & simply do not perform well in low compression motors like our RC51 (10.8:1). As has been noted many times on just about every sportbike forum on the net more octane does not mean more power! It simply means more resistance to detonation. If a higher octane fuel happens to make more power in a motor it is because of the additives in the fuel having the potential for more energy not just because it is higher octane.

What can be beneficial, but not always so is a blend of about 25/75 of race fuel & pump gas (1 gallon of race fuel added to 3 gallons of premium pump gas) which has been shown to consistently yield a horsepower or two. However I strongly urge you to stay away from the race fuels on a street bike if for no other reason than the extra contaminants it will leave in your motor. For me the cost of premature wear on the motor is not worth the negligible horsepower gains.

2. Oxygenated Race Fuels (Nutec #4, VP MR1 etc) can add 3-5hp without any fuel or mapping changes at all & 5-10hp sometimes even more on a stock motor with proper mapping & lots of playing around with the ignition timing. Some oxygenated fuels benefit from retarding the ignition while others benefit from advancing it.

The catch is that A. the stuff is really expensive usually about $15-$20 a gallon & B. it is highly corrosive & must be drained from your tank after each race weekend to keep it from eating parts of your fuel system. There are also many true horror stories of racers getting a bad batch of Nutek & ruining a set of carbs or throttle bodies due to a varnish that settles onto the components that is basically impossible to remove. I have actually witnessed this myself once & could not believe how bad it actually was.

There are some newer oxygenated fuels out now such as VP MR9 & Ultimate 4 which is claimed to be much less caustic to fuel system components (o-rings, gaskets etc..). I have sampled the MR9 & was very impressed with the performance & the Ultimate 4 is just plain awesome even in a stock motor, but as the cost of gas soars, $16 a gallon is pretty hard to swallow. I've been mixing it about 50/50 on my stock engines with excellent results. Not as powerful as the MR9, but nowhere near as expensive either.

3. In testing various grades of pump gas I consistently found that 87 octane fuel makes 1-2 more horsepower than those exact same bikes ran on Premium 93 octane. We tested five liter class motorcycles (97 CBR900RR, 02 Honda 919, 2000 RC51, 2000 GSXR750 & an 02 R1) & only the R1 seemed unaffected by the octane of the fuel. Now I am certainly not going to tell you to run less than the recommended octane (92) in your RC51 as the specific needs of the motor dictate that a higher octane fuel is needed, but the results are blatant in that more octane does not mean more power.

It is only fair that I note that when testing the pump gas on some of the 600's (Yamaha R6 & the GSXR600) the inverse was true in that they did lose a little horsepower on the 87 octane vs the 93 octane. Most likely because of the higher compression ratios of the smaller motors, however the CBR600F4i gained a little horsepower.

Additional notes (not tested on the dyno): Never add any type of octane boosters or fuel system cleaners to your motorcycle tank. Additives sold in auto stores are designed to treat anywhere from 16-22 gallons of fuel from one small bottle of concentrate & more often than not those chemicals are very hazardous to your motorcycles fuel system especially if the mix ratio is not absolutely perfect. I cannot tell you how many carb jobs I have done over the years because some yahoo dumped half a bottle (or more) of octane booster into his fuel tank. The bike runs great for awhile but within a day or two a varnish starts to set up on the fuel system components & it just gets worse from there. Run quality fuels & stay away from the additives period."

See ya @ the track!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #55
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
hey you know what, i'm tired of your fckin talking you sorry sack of .

what is your purpose on this board? you just come on here to talk ? i at least put forth an effort to help this community out, you do nothing but run your fcking mouth...
so if you got something to say....why don't you come by my shop and say it to my face. or else STFU

3424 Louetta Rd
Spring, TX 77388
Yo wanna fight? put your dukes up NO you STFU! if you give Bad advise own up to it man .... People read your owners Manual

Again you know Sh*t about Busa's and No I aint going to your shop
Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #56
mightymouse1

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

valero 93 octane. no problems what so ever. 05 gixxer sixxer. i see it as a safty net(running higher octane). you never know,one day you twist harder than normal and wonder why you hear this pinging. evey now and then,i run about a half a tank of race gas through the bike. the way i see it,if you can afford a sport bike,(any fuel injected bike)you should be able to afford good fuel. to fill up at 3.07(worst case so far) only cost me 10 bucks. face it the dollar in america ain't worth ,so 10 bucks is nothing.
mightymouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #57
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

higher octane just means a slower burn. If you run 15k rpms all the time then you should run a higher octane... especially in the summer time when it is real hot. you don't want a more volitile gas to enter a hot combustion chamber at 15k and pre detonate. If you never run that high of an rpm then 87 octane would prolly be ok for your bike.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #58
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Race fuel b/c it smells so yummy!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #59
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
higher octane just means a slower burn. If you run 15k rpms all the time then you should run a higher octane... especially in the summer time when it is real hot. you don't want a more volitile gas to enter a hot combustion chamber at 15k and pre detonate. If you never run that high of an rpm then 87 octane would prolly be ok for your bike.
Good advise Sir
Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #60
wlgorman

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

this is a good thread! My buddy that wks at Stubbs always says ONLY SHELL/VALERO PREMIUM...so I was wondering about that. Of course I have a 600, he has/had a 954 so...

good read none the less

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement