MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #21
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Regular unleaded makes more power than super premium. The higher the octane the more resistance to detonation. The higher compression, the more prone to detonation so additives are introduced to the mix to prevent it. They cause the fuel to burn slower with less chance of the big bangs that take out heads and valves.

The difference between the major brands is the additive package that is blended in at the refinery. It doesn't matter which trucking company hauls it.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats a fair price for gas? RACER X Off Topic 15 01-09-2009 03:05 PM
GAS WHATS THE CHEAPEST YOU SEEN gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-29-2008 08:31 PM
Adam Raga Gas Gas TxSandman General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-27-2007 01:45 PM
Gas Mileage, whats urine? ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 05-28-2006 10:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
hmm well i maybe wrong, well like octane boosters, whats the purpose of it? i remember in car and drivver they were talkng about using a higher octane atleast every other tank in cars to help keep your engine free of gunk, maybe i have it wrong
just like it says, it raises the octane. if you are running a blown 502 at 18 pounds of boost, your compression will be like 30:1... (remember my busa is 11:1) at that high of compression, normal 87 octane would ignite just due to the heat in the cyclinder walls and the intense pressure... octane keeps this from happening... the higher the octane, the higher the temps and pressures it can withstand before it detonates. some engines have so much boost that even 93 octane will detonate, so they use octane booster. i have seen some boats with 1300 hp 725 c.i. motors that run on 224 octane fuel, sold on a marina at the lake.... VERY HIGH compression ratios
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #23
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

I like when I go to a gas station and they have bags on all of the regular pumps saying they are out, but they still have mid-grade.
(mid grade gas is just a mixture of premium and regular)

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #24
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
someone is gonna blow some up!!! i just feel it!!!
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

me, i always put diesel in the gsxr that way i get those giant clouds of smoke that the modded diesel's think are sooooooo cool.

Khaki shirt.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #26
Dubby
That one dude...

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
[2005 636 AKA "6Durty" (stunt piece)] Captured by Coryell Cty. Sheriffs Ofc.
Your momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
I like when I go to a gas station and they have bags on all of the regular pumps saying they are out, but they still have mid-grade.
(mid grade gas is just a mixture of premium and regular)
Not at every gas station... some do not mix...
Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
me, i always put diesel in the gsxr that way i get those giant clouds of smoke that the modded diesel's think are sooooooo cool.
yea... ummm. ZOOOOM ZOOOOOM ZOOOOOM
Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #28
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~T~ View Post
someone is gonna blow some up!!! i just feel it!!!
banggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg g.

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #29
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubby View Post
well, i aint no expert, so i know i could be wrong. I can only cite when I worked graveyards at the Drock in high school. The gas truck would come around 3 or 4 and fill us up. The invoices always just had premium and regular. Maybe thats just because valero sucks the big one.

Khaki shirt.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
i always use the midgrade, from the closest place.
Midgrade is a waste of money......it would run fine on Reg.

All gas is not the same, what you get at Wally World is not the same as Shell, Chevron etc.

Shell or Chevron Premium for the bikes........other premiums if I'm in BFE and don't have a choice.

FYI, most of the Majors have gone to carriers and don't own their own trucks anymore.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #31
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
just like it says, it raises the octane. if you are running a blown 502 at 18 pounds of boost, your compression will be like 30:1... (remember my busa is 11:1) at that high of compression, normal 87 octane would ignite just due to the heat in the cyclinder walls and the intense pressure... octane keeps this from happening... the higher the octane, the higher the temps and pressures it can withstand before it detonates. some engines have so much boost that even 93 octane will detonate, so they use octane booster. i have seen some boats with 1300 hp 725 c.i. motors that run on 224 octane fuel, sold on a marina at the lake.... VERY HIGH compression ratios
dude you and zxalan are like 2 peas in a pod bro must be a busa thing, but i never said for him to put in 120 octane, supreme is what, 90 sumthin? i know if he put 120 octane he would probaly blow his engine no doubt, so it does not help clean your engine? or just not in bikes? almost every car and most bikes manual will tell you to put in a minimum of 87, does that mean 93 will destroy it? and are you talking about the turbo boost in your bike?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #32
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubby View Post
Correct, some have blend pumps at the station so they only have a Regular and a Premium tank. Other (older) stations will have a tank for each grade.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #33
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
Midgrade is a waste of money......it would run fine on Reg.

All gas is not the same, what you get at Wally World is not the same as Shell, Chevron etc.

Shell or Chevron Premium for the bikes........other premiums if I'm in BFE and don't have a choice.

FYI, most of the Majors have gone to carriers and don't own their own trucks anymore.
hmmm. nice to know... i just was not sure so i figured mid was ok.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #34
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Chevron sir
Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #35
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
hmmm. nice to know... i just was not sure so i figured mid was ok.
It's mainly for people too cheap to buy Premium......
Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #36
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

what about oxygenated fuels?
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #37
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
what about oxygenated fuels?
Around here it is the same gas winter and summer.......for now. Some parts of the country they switch from High RVP to LOW RVP in Spring and Fall.

The more ethanol they put in the gas the worse your mileage and performance will be. But, we might as well get used to it.:/:
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #38
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Octane is simply a measure of the fuels RESISTANCE to KNOCK. If you look at the gas pump it even tells you the math they use (something like (R+m)/2 method ?) cant remember off hand. It doent mean anything about how hot the fuel has to burn blah blah blah...
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #39
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Darn; I walk away for a second and a thread like this pops up.

Its called Top Tier...

Ethanol is an inert additive that is not suppose to effect the detergents nor the performance of the gasoline. But obviously it does. Companies that pass the Top Tier requirements include Shell, Chevron and all their third party associates.

Shell, as advertised, is the cleanest burning gas available; their detergents are not strong and tend to leave alot behind in the engine over time. Chevron isn't the cleanest burning because the level of detergents(techron) are higher and clean out all the junk in the engine.

That said, I get cars ALL THE TIME of several makes w a stumble or lacking performance. I test the gas and tend to find alot of water or ethanol in the system. My recommendation always starts with two full tanks of Supreme Chevron gasoline. Fuel economy will almost always increase, idle smoother and on carburated cars the idle may need to be adjusted.

Easier words then above; Higher Octane gasolines 'burn' and do not 'bang.' A regular octane would be more of a punch to the piston when it is ignited, less heat due to a quick lapse time and all the power expended quickly. A high octane will burn; create a lot of heat(which we will reffer to as work load) and push, not bang the piston down. Mind you power is often times related to heat(especially in chemistry) and supercharging/especially turbocharging applications. Remember the phrase ''only 1/3 the power of an engine is utilized in the natural aspiring engine, remainder of the heat is released through the exhaust''?

On the busa, I run Shell or Chevron Supreme constantly. I recently started filling up w Chevron to clean it out, idle has improved again.

But everyone has their opinion; I just see approx 12 cars a day and always need to ask the same questions... so by sample I can tell you people neglect the gas they put in just as they do oil changes.

Want an engine to last? do the oil changes and maintenance.

Want power? You can live w/o food and water; nor will hohos give ur body the energy it needs to keep going... You need a balanced diet; as does ur bike.

I'll get off my soap box now...
Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #40
D-Mo

Bike(s):
'06 FZ6

When I first got my bike it was nothing but Premium Chevron for months, then I was told by others with the same bike to follow the manual and use regular for better performance. I do now, and usually use shell or alternate between that and chevron. I used some Sam's club gas that smelled like celery and I was really worried for a bit. Maybe the scent caused me to forget to reset the trip meter, but I got like 10-15mpg more than I normally would. That was when I was headed to galveston for the rally, and the freeway cruising probably helped, but on the way back it was back to normal. The difference between the octane ratings is able to be noticed while riding if you know what you're looking for, though I don't think its something to obsess over, my compratio is less than 12:1 so I just use the cheapest one that still runs well.
D-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement