MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Question Moto/exp gained Review thread

This thread is directed to riders who have owned ridden various motorcycles.

What have you learned from each bike? What are the differences(good and bad between them)? And any other info you would care to add(miles, length of time owned, etc...)
Please specify make/model/year/and various mods+their effects.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My CCS review/thanx thread. Solracer Taking it to the Track 34 04-23-2008 01:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

87 ninja 600 - very top heavy compared to bikes of its size of a newer year, (i rode it from 2000-2002) but makes a good beginner bike. would not wheelie unless you really tried to.

BUSA - lotsa torque down low, doesn't stop very fast, but will still stop faster than a mustang with my girlfriend driving
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
This thread is directed to riders who have owned ridden various motorcycles.

What have you learned from each bike? What are the differences(good and bad between them)? And any other info you would care to add(miles, length of time owned, etc...)
Please specify make/model/year/and various mods+their effects.
1982 Honda Nighthawk 750 - ridden off and on for 5yrs.
2001 Yamaha FZ1 - Ridden for 2 yrs.
1989 Yamaha Vmax 1200 - been riding Vmax's for 7yrs, 40K + miles
2004 Suzuki SV650S - been riding for 5mo's, 6K miles

I can't dive my 626lb Vmax into a curve like I can my SV650S.

Hitting high speeds on my Vmax is definitely noticed (wind resistance) but on the SV I get there without even a second thought that I am going that fast.

The sound of my pegs scraping on my Vmax use to scare the out of me, yet I haven't gotten there yet on my SV because I haven't learned the bike well enough to ride it that deep in a curve.

Although my Vmax holds the road amazingly well I believe my SV holds it better. I thought my heavier bike would be more stable, go figure.

On the 1/4 mile I can't keep the front tire down on the Vmax no matter what I do. And I can't seem to do anything but wheelies on my SV.

I am torn between two loves.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

2002 Triumph TT600-owned for 15k kept her stock. It was my first bike(yeap I got a 600 as a 1st bike....Never heard of MH when I was looking) Loved the brakes and handling. Reminded me of my bmw very smooth and predictable. No power what so ever under 9k which was great for a n00b like me. Super comfy (thus how I got my nickname). I miss my rocket launcher !

2003 FZ1- I had an itch for a 1k but wasn't ready for a SS so picked up the faster black and grey edition (special lol) FZ1. I put about 15k on her in no time. First bike I ever took to the track .... turned into a track head. Super comfy (but not quite as comfy as the tt600 for some reason) with goobs of power everywhere. Great for 2 up riding on SMRs. I learned alot about laoding the suspension for a turn. After Motorcycles Unlimited set up the suspension I discovered the effects of properly setting up a bike for a specific rider. Power was great but man did it make you lazy.

2006 GSXR750- a few goodies put on her immediately. Man this bike scared the shyte out of me(thats alot of shyte btw). Took her to the track a couple of times and never got comfy as it was more bike than I was ready to handle. I'm lucky I lived the entire 4500 miles I owned her! She was a bad bad girl that made me do bad things at all times. I learned that having the "best" bike doesn't nec make you a better rider

2001 SV650 naked- racked up at least 10-12k on her in 9 months. Slowest bike I ever owned yet the fastest I've ever been around a track. Picked her up from Motorcycles Unlimited and she was already all setup-ohlins rear, racetech front, scotts damper, SS brake lines etc... I did about 10 td's gearing it came with (+1rear) and then went another 2 when the chain and sprockets were ready to be replaced. I did another 10-15 td on tem and wow is all I can say. The bike taught me that power didn't make you fast corner speed makes you fast. I never had so much fun on a bike than on that SV up until the point I realized without a bunch of work($$$$$) and increase in cost(thus significant reduction in reliability) I wasnt going to go any faster. If your wanting to learn how to really ride a properly setup SV is the way to go. Period. On the street the SV kept me alive since over 90ish it wasn't very comfy anymore. But still plenty to lead groups at a decent pace through the twisties.(I think this is why I lead most rides I would go on. I'd keep it spirited yet reasonable).

03 CRF50 - stunt bike- I learned how to eat .
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Widetank CBRs from the 00's... felt more controllable when learning because sets your knees apart for better balance...

recommend heavier bikes for beginning; sport touring bikes w steel frame, not only protect the bikes but give a solid feeling when cornering.

lighter bikes need to lean less in a corner to overcome the inertia.

always recommend starting w something small to not spin a tire out through a corner... always need to get the excitement thrill over before jumping up in engine and power/weight combos that require more control...
Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Wow so only 4 people have owned multiple bikes and learned something from them or have an opinion. Impressive.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Dont have any technical jargin but this is what it felt like

2003 CBR 600RR - 5k in the seat. Very stable bike at high speed. Have to pull it into the corners.

2006 R6 - Around 9k in the seat. Gutless under 10k rpms, very light and flickable. slipper clutch is nice also.

2002 xr50 - 500 miles. nice little bike for old and young alike

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.

Last edited by Cherub; 02-12-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
2002 Triumph TT600-owned for 15k kept her stock. It was my first bike(yeap I got a 600 as a 1st bike....Never heard of MH when I was looking) Loved the brakes and handling. Reminded me of my bmw very smooth and predictable. No power what so ever under 9k which was great for a n00b like me. Super comfy (thus how I got my nickname). I miss my rocket launcher !

2003 FZ1- I had an itch for a 1k but wasn't ready for a SS so picked up the faster black and grey edition (special lol) FZ1. I put about 15k on her in no time. First bike I ever took to the track .... turned into a track head. Super comfy (but not quite as comfy as the tt600 for some reason) with goobs of power everywhere. Great for 2 up riding on SMRs. I learned alot about laoding the suspension for a turn. After Motorcycles Unlimited set up the suspension I discovered the effects of properly setting up a bike for a specific rider. Power was great but man did it make you lazy.

2006 GSXR750- a few goodies put on her immediately. Man this bike scared the shyte out of me(thats alot of shyte btw). Took her to the track a couple of times and never got comfy as it was more bike than I was ready to handle. I'm lucky I lived the entire 4500 miles I owned her! She was a bad bad girl that made me do bad things at all times. I learned that having the "best" bike doesn't nec make you a better rider

2001 SV650 naked- racked up at least 10-12k on her in 9 months. Slowest bike I ever owned yet the fastest I've ever been around a track. Picked her up from Motorcycles Unlimited and she was already all setup-ohlins rear, racetech front, scotts damper, SS brake lines etc... I did about 10 td's gearing it came with (+1rear) and then went another 2 when the chain and sprockets were ready to be replaced. I did another 10-15 td on tem and wow is all I can say. The bike taught me that power didn't make you fast corner speed makes you fast. I never had so much fun on a bike than on that SV up until the point I realized without a bunch of work($$$$$) and increase in cost(thus significant reduction in reliability) I wasnt going to go any faster. If your wanting to learn how to really ride a properly setup SV is the way to go. Period. On the street the SV kept me alive since over 90ish it wasn't very comfy anymore. But still plenty to lead groups at a decent pace through the twisties.(I think this is why I lead most rides I would go on. I'd keep it spirited yet reasonable).

Please, elaborate more about your 450 experience.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
Please, elaborate more about your 450 experience.
I forgot about the 450!

2003 crf 450-Painful as well and made me realize dirt and I don't get along well. That said, the bike was very light and plenty powerful.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

00 zx6r-4k..First street bike. Loved everything about it.Thieves loved it too. Almost too much for fist bike. It it had not been stolen, I might not be here. Turned great light steering.
01 katana-7k... very heavy,slow,heavy in turns. To say the least the bike didnt like to turn. It wouldnt pull the wheel for anything. This bike is perfect for beginners.
06 ZZR600...3k..Dudes old bike. Learned not to let friends ride you bike unless your very very good friends.He wrecked the out of it and we are still vv good friends. same as 00 zx6r, but felt stronger. Might be a little much for a noob. It was for him
05 gsxr 600.3k Great bike, but feels like it should be a little faster.very nimble turns great even lowered. if it wasnt lowered it would not keep the front down. Does not stop as well as the zzr.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

03-CRF 450-Same as above

2005- CBR600- Love hate relationship with this bike and bc of the bike but bc of the rider. I never got used to the inline 4 power delivery. It was just a pain in the to keep her revved out and in the power band compared to the SV. The handling was hands down far superior to the SV but then again that thing was pretty well built up and had higher end components on here. Great bike just not what I like.

1992 NightHawk-Who would of ever thought a small cruiser could be so much fun!!! Great bullet proof scooter with plenty of pep for what it was. Handling...well it's a 1992 NIGHTHAWK! Although it did punk some squid on a newer R6 down 45 one night Also, great gas mileage.

1995- Triumph Daytona 1200- THE big 4 from triumph has some gut. I swear this thing just automatically cruised up to the mid triples w/o my authorization. Handling was good on at freeway speeds. The slower stuff really let you know you were on a heavy piece of machinery(590lbs I think). Great sound and Awesome looks! However, it is an older brit bike and being such means that mechanically they have gremlins...But hey that's part of it's character.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

82 kawasaki 550LTD, put about 5k miles, very forgiving bike, wooden brakes, cramped for my 6 feet frame.

99 Suzuki Bandit 600, 6k miles ,smooth, just had to install better springs up front because that thing would dive like an ostrich under braking. It would drag pegs too easily, maybe that's why it was confortable for tall people.

93 Honda CBR 600, decent power but too buzzy on the clip ons, decent handling, about 2 k miles until an old man late church hit me and totalled the bike.

2000 Kawasaki Zx-7r, 12k miles, where do I start? rock solid, planted on the turns, excellent brakes with better hoses and pads, bike IS HEAVY but once under way weight is not an issue, and it was the proverbial cockroach, after a few mishaps it would just not quit.

09 Buell 1125 CR, big powa, AWESOME torque, my first V twin bike, very stable just don't touch the front brake while leaning, it want's to stand up way to easily, a big difference from my old Zx-7r, but I still love my CR. Uncomfortable seat, easily fixed with about 200 bucks for a custom seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
1992 NightHawk-Who would of ever thought a small cruiser could be so much fun!!! Great bullet proof scooter with plenty of pep for what it was. Handling...
Yah, but you have short legs.

1985 Rebel 250, 7K: there is more to survival than acceleration. Drafting does work. Small old engines + high loads + 7K in 3 months = bad. Need a newer bike for reliability. If you are 6'4" with a 36" inseam this bike will destroy your knees.
2006 Shadow 600 9K: if you are just cruising and don't need an addrinalin hit then this bike is great. Gas tank capacity is important (2.8 gal is not enough). MPG was as high as 62 and typically 56 in Houston traffic (no more than 10 over). Leg room still sucked. Salt water doesn't mix well with motorcycles.
2007 Shadow 750 26K: Need more power. Good leg room. Crappy gas mileage. Need more lean clearance. Still a decently comfy tourer. Galveston to Austin without getting tired.
Want: a sport bike: super sport if it is a second bike. SV or busa if a primary (for ergo). I think I could learn quite a bit more about cornering as the input vs. response on these should be way better than the cruisers I've had.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp

Last edited by spartandude; 12-16-2009 at 12:18 PM.
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

199X Yamaha Riva 125 - Fun little bike, my mom bought it after a surgery, I guess she was going through menopause. Anyway, she rode it once and then passed it on to my brothers and I. I used that bike to commute, it was a great little bike that only went about 100 kilometers per hour. That bike had a deffect that once the engine was hot, if you turned off the bike you could not started it again until it was cold again.

2006 CBR600RR - My first sport bike, I loved it. I bought it about 10 years after we sold the Riva. I squided around Mexico with it. With that bike I learnt that bikes can be dangerous in the hands of a stupid person. Long story short, I totalled that bike. In comparison with the R6, the bike seemed to have a lot more power in lower RPMs but in higher RPMs the R6 kills it. Likewise, I learnt with that bike that I didn't like Michelin tires.

2007 R6 - About 3500 miles and counting. I really like the bike, pretty fast and great with cornering. Ergos are not that comfy and it doesn't show its potential until after 10k RPMs, which is easily solved with a -1 in the front sprocket.

2005 RMZ250 - I learnt to ride dirt on it, both trails and mx. I rode it for about 20-30 hours. It was fun but for some reason the bike didn't felt right plus maintenance costs were high (compared to other bikes). I recently sold it.

2003 XR100 - I bought this bike for my wife, she doesn't ride it as much. When I had both the RMZ and the XR, I used to go to trails with friends and always rode the XR. The bike is pretty fun to ride, low maintenance too. All I have done since I bought it, it put fresh gas on it, change oil every 2 hours and that is it, bike still turns on with two kicks.

2008 WR250X - About 1500 miles and counting. Pretty fun bike, but lack grunt. I have done some back road riding and also 1 track day. It has helped me lose some vices I had, like I shift more frequently likewise, I am more smooth on the throttle. It amazes me that you can carry a lot more corner speed than on bigger bikes. Handles great in long trips, great ergos.

2009 Baby Ninja - few miles on it still, I am yet to really ride it. Will tell more around the end of January.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Moc05
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Moc05 Send a message via Yahoo to Moc05
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
06 ZZR600...3k..Dudes old bike. Learned not to let friends ride you bike unless your very very good friends.He wrecked the out of it and we are still vv good friends. same as 00 zx6r, but felt stronger. Might be a little much for a noob. It was for him.
I had an 07 ZZR and it was laid down a few times but was definately a trooper. Nothing more than cosmetic each time. Was alot of fun and can be picked up pretty cheap used with tons of parts available.

2008 ZX10-R - Plenty of power and handled great when I took it out to the track. Definately needs a better stabilizer although I don't notice it as much as I did when I first got it. Gets pretty average gas mileage, right around 30mpg. Definately easy to work on for basic things with a good amount of parts starting to be available. Im extremely happy with it.
Moc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
LT280Z

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
R1
250SM
DRZ400sm

These are in the order i owned them.
Tons of dirt bikes.....Lessons learned? Dont hit tree's! pre-ride your riding area so you know what and where the potential dangers are.

Husky 400 2 stroke- this was my first bike that had some nuts. the power band was huge! when it got on the pipe it would scare you. I was only 12 so it really scared me! I was way too small for the bike but could handle it pretty good.

Cbr F1 hurricane...my first street bike. put 10k on it. Very heavy bike with shotty break's.

Cbr f2 put 11-12K on it. A huge step up from the F1. The bike felt much lighter up top and felt much more stable in the turns. I really learned alot on the f2 and my confidence level with the f2 was alot higher. maybe it was the rear damper but the f2 felt as if it wanted to spin the back out (fish tail).

GPZ550 put 6k on it and loved the old school look of the bike. Very top heavy bike that felt a bit squirelly in the turns with stock suspension. Ohlins rear and front end resprung and this bike felt great! I really learned alot about braking on this bike because it didnt have near the breaks of the f2. I had to be alot more cautious when it came to breaking and often times had to break much earlier than my friends. Corner entry was by far the most critical part of handling this bike. exiting the corners were relatively easy but if the entry was wrong you were in trouble. I ran this thing off the track a few times!

01 r6 put 18K on the ol girl.
I loved this bike! it was not the fastest or best handling SS bike at the time but compared to my prior machines it was DIALED! ohlins front with a modded stock unit and it was on rails. very flickable bike that got my confidence way up! entry and exits were a blast and the bike was very forgiving. I still have not ridden another bike that was in tune with my riding style the way the 01 R6 was.

03R1..put 2K on it so far. I really loved the r6 and wanted more power so i didnt have to rev it out all the time. I really like the fact that i dont have to downshift nearly as much with the bigger bike. If someone slows down in front of me im not forced to drop a couple gears to get moving again. the R6 would bog in higher gears at lower speeds where the r1 doesnt. The power output is great and feels pretty smooth. This bike is really growing on me and im finally getting use to it. Now that ive ridden a 1K for a while i dont know that i would go back to the 600 (for a street bike). My confidence level was much higher on the R6 in the turns. The 6 just felt lighter and i felt like i could really push it. I can see where the r1's hurt people with the torque. on the 6 i would be at the apex rolling on the throttle and then pin it out of the turn and go. On the r1 you have to be alot smoother on the gas and cant be nearly as agressive IMO. The r1 needs smoother input compared to the 6 but it still feels pretty similar and handles well. The torque is the biggest improvement and also the biggest danger. I think that as i ride it and push harder i will get the hang of what the bike likes and adapt as needed. Freeway and high speeds the bike feels smoother than the r6. Maybe its the weight or the shape but it really feels more stable at high speeds. The wind isnt as big of a factor on the R1 as it was with the 6 either. Dont know why but it feels more planted and stable at 80+.

06DRZ400SM.......FULL OF WIN!!! by far the most fun bike i have ever owned. 80+ you really feel the wind but other than that its a blast! This bike is actually so much fun i may sell the r1 and get another one for adventure riding all rigged out with GPS,bags, etc.
LT280Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement