MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
sixshooter1125
Shiver me timbers

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 Harley Roadking
2007 CRF450r
2005 CR125r
2004 R6 *sold*
2001 xr50

Question for the racers

I have been debating trackdays for awhile now..

To cut costs, should I get my CMRA novice license by taking the class and just run the practice sessions for a bit till I can fullfil my obligations to ditch the Yellow shirt?
sixshooter1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for the racers gixxerman Taking it to the Track 9 01-26-2010 03:58 PM
Question for the Racers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-10-2009 04:49 PM
Racers! I got a question S_M_J82 Taking it to the Track 26 07-17-2008 07:57 PM
A gixxer question for the racers bumblebee Taking it to the Track 8 04-07-2008 06:05 PM
Question to all of you racers Swift E Taking it to the Track 37 02-11-2006 03:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It'd be cheaper to wait to get your license and just do track days for the time being.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

What are the steps oinvolved, various levels, and opportunities afforded by a CMRA license?

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

yeah i went to some of the tracksites and the 1day classes price were crazy high
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
lynkxda1
MotoHouston Street Ninja

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2006 Kawawsaki zx 600RR

I also want to do some track dayz. So were are the track at and the CMRA school? I'm new in Houston so I don't know about the area?
lynkxda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

www.lstd.com

You can get a bunch of info there, and they are where you can get your CMRA competiton license.

Also check out : www.cmraracing.com

Under the forms tab is the rulebook, which should answer most of your questions.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

cool, thanks.

I haven't even done a TD, but just wondered what was involved with the jump to racing.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i would NOT try to cut costs by jumping into racing and using the provnov status as "seat time". nothing replaces the knowledge and experience you gain from trackdays. everything you pick up from trackdays will transfer to racing, and you'll learn a few more things once you're gridded up and battling it out. if you jump straight into racing without prior experience in trackdays...you are not only a danger to yourself, but to the rest of us on the grid with you. please think your decision through.

if you want to jump into racing....

you will need to take the license class and once you pass, you need to pay for the license fee. then you will become a provisional novice (yellow shirt). you must complete 2 race weekends with a minimum of 2 sprint entries per weekend (without crashing, during the race, or during practice). you must also cornerwork a saturday and a sunday.

you have a limited amount of time to complete the cornerworking and non crashing weekends.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

you could also see above and start out in TMGP.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #10
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

or you could cut costs by cornerworking for tracktime. perfect way not to spend too much and get a feel of the track experience.
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #11
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
+1 to that, i saved a few bux this season by cornerworking half a friday and riding the rest. If you have a really cool wife or SO have them corner work while you ride.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

The fastest way on to the track is to do a lot of trackdays first. I have seen plenty of folks who just went to a track day to get their license and jumped right in to racing- it was a sobering experience to say the least! Some folks feel like because they're able to ride in the "A" group, that they'll be fine racing; the race pace is a whole 'nuther world from the "A" group.

My suggestion is like all the above mentioned. Hit up www.lstd.com to check the schedule of events, and pick some various tracks to ride (we run Oak Hill Raceway (Henderson), Motor Sports Ranch (Cresson), Texas World Speedway (College Station), Eagle's Canyon (Denton), Grand Sport Speedway (South Houston), and one event at Mercedes Benz Road Course (Angleton), all of which CMRA will race at this year). The more tracks you become familiar with and become proficient with, the better off you'll be when you decide to start racing. Some folks pick things up faster, some take a lot of time to get up to a fast/ safe pace.

Take advantage of the "C" group with instruction (our "noob" class/ group) as many times as you can. As mentioned, you can "trade your time for track time" and have someone cornerwork while you ride all day, or cornerwork a full day to earn a full trackday credit at another event. You can also work half day and ride the other half (which is my personal favorite), but I would make sure you do a couple of "C" groups with instruction before doing the half/ half thing.

Grand Sport Speedway is full for cornerworkers now, but I still have openings for Oak Hille on the 22nd of this month. A great place to watch some really fast folks and learn a lot by watching- I can move you around to different corners so you can get a fresh perspective.

Don't forget too, you can get CMRA license at any event LSTD does. This license will enable you to compete with any other racing organization. It costs $75 to get your license.

Let me know if yall are interested.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 02-12-2008 at 09:27 AM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
You guys forgot the CCS offers a license class, and there are no further requirements. No two weekends in the corners!! The license class is offered every two weeks at MSRHouston, and is only 75.00 as well. The CMRA and CCS licenses will cross over to each organization. A race license will open up more opportinies for the rider, such as OHR and invites to racer only trackdays. Just because you have a race license, dosen't mean you are ready to race. As stated above you can't substitute trackday seat time for building skills.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Options.

We here in Texas are lucky to have so many.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Man we are lucky to have so many choices.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #16
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
The fastest way on to the track is to do a lot of trackdays first. I have seen plenty of folks who just went to a track day to get their license and jumped right in to racing- it was a sobering experience to say the least! Some folks feel like because they're able to ride in the "A" group, that they'll be fine racing; the race pace is a whole 'nuther world from the "A" group.

My suggestion is like all the above mentioned. Hit up www.lstd.com to check the schedule of events, and pick some various tracks to ride (we run Oak Hill Raceway (Henderson), Motor Sports Ranch (Cresson), Texas World Speedway (College Station), Eagle's Canyon (Denton), Grand Sport Speedway (South Houston), and one event at Mercedes Benz Road Course (Angleton), all of which CMRA will race at this year). The more tracks you become familiar with and become proficient with, the better off you'll be when you decide to start racing. Some folks pick things up faster, some take a lot of time to get up to a fast/ safe pace.

Take advantage of the "C" group with instruction (our "noob" class/ group) as many times as you can. As mentioned, you can "trade your time for track time" and have someone cornerwork while you ride all day, or cornerwork a full day to earn a full trackday credit at another event. You can also work half day and ride the other half (which is my personal favorite), but I would make sure you do a couple of "C" groups with instruction before doing the half/ half thing.

Grand Sport Speedway is full for cornerworkers now, but I still have openings for Oak Hille on the 22nd of this month. A great place to watch some really fast folks and learn a lot by watching- I can move you around to different corners so you can get a fresh perspective.

Don't forget too, you can get CMRA license at any event LSTD does. This license will enable you to compete with any other racing organization. It costs $75 to get your license.

Let me know if yall are interested.
Excellent post, very informative. I never thought about corner working to learn a little about trackdays before I just jump in this spring. Steve over at AJ Foyt told me that I should have at least 3,000 miles of street driving before I started coming to track days and I have that. After I pay Uncle Sam I was planning on getting gear and a bike to jump into.
This option might let me learn a little more before I do it.
If I check the schedule for corner working in March, who do I need to contact? What do I need to bring and is there a class that I need to take to learn how to do it?

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

If you buy a CCS license, you will have to buy a full CMRA license as well to race w/ them. You can only use a WERA or MRA license at CMRA events w/o having to buy a CMRA license.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
If I check the schedule for corner working in March, who do I need to contact?
Check my sig mang.

Stephen is a great instructor, and has been teaching with LSTD since day one (8 years ago). Ronnie Hay, the current Lead Instructor, will hook you up with Stephen or any of the other great staff to get you the best instruction available!

As far as cornerworking, I'll get you set the day of, and there is information posted on our web site with "Cornerworking Guidelines".

We're not new to this gig, we've been doing it for 8 years now and don't plan on slowing down. Come on out and see how a really well run operation works!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
If you buy a CCS license, you will have to buy a full CMRA license as well to race w/ them. You can only use a WERA or MRA license at CMRA events w/o having to buy a CMRA license.
But you can get a CMRA license for $75 and race CCS...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #20
orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
if you want to jump into racing....

you'll need to rob a bank

orchard is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement