MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
top speed of rm125 vs rm250 or similar

wondering the top speeds of 2stroke 125 vs 250 motocross bikes? i really think i want to make one street legal and use it as a daily rider to and from work. (i have a short commute, like 8 miles, none of it on the highway. )

i dont have much experiance with 2 strokes, but they are growing on me....FAST! ive wanted 2 stroke streetbikes for a long time (NSR, RG, etc) but they are so rare and expensive. streeting an RM would float my boat for i bet half the budget or less.

i read somewhere the rm125 does about 65 mph, and im thinking that is plenty, cause i dont plan on going on the highway, and i dont need to go faster than that off the highway....but i dunno, if the 250 has enough top end....i might get that crazy.

also, i say RM, just cause i prefer suzuki, but as i said i dont know much about 2-stroke, so if you think honda's or whosevers is better feel free to chime and explain why. (looking for real life reasons, like "comes with a better suspension" or "the gearing is quicker", not "because its better" or "x is the best at everything")
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
-1 +5 top speed? waynes-no-sqid How To's and Q & A's 19 12-04-2014 03:07 AM
Best Top Speed vid I seen yet BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-30-2010 07:34 PM
MSRH Top Speed Jason_Canuck Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 35 07-02-2009 09:46 AM
Top Speed of Bugatti Veyron, top gear vid RACER X Off Topic 15 02-11-2007 07:30 PM
top speed run and high speed wheelies. CBR 1000 CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-19-2005 10:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i dont know much about 2 strokes but i thought for street applications people use 4 strokes. i have a 4 stroke crf 150 with street tires its not legal but a blast to ride on the side streets

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
your right, people do use 4 strokes for the street. i dont think its legal to produce or sell a 2 stroke for street use anymore, they kind of phased them out. i just like to bend the rules. i think i can pull it off.

as far i know the only 2 stroke motorcycles you can buy are only made for motocross. you used to be able to buy stuff like the honda nsr250r and RG 250/RG500 which were sportbikes.

have you ever gotten to ride a 2-stroke? trust me, it IS all that.

today i got to test ride the new 08 kawi KX140 4stroke. it was kind of fun i suppose but the other day i got to test ride a kawi 110 cc 2 stroke. the 110 would BLOW THE DOORS off the 140, no questions asked. its like night and day.

to put in perspective, it would take a quite a bit of effort to wheelie that 140, but the 110? the challenge was keeping the wheel DOWN!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #4
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post

i read somewhere the rm125 does about 65 mph
With the right gearing, maybe... but I think thats a bit of a stretch if stock.

250... yes & then some

Quote:
i dont think its legal to produce or sell a 2 stroke for street use anymore, they kind of phased them out.
A willing dealer can pull it off or it can be done with a bike you already own... starting with a mco, request from txdot (form 130-u) a title stipulating road use, just takes a little time/ effort... 2t/4t no difference for title/ registration purposes.
kstrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
eyeballkid

You going to be replacing top ends like crazy with that bike on the Street......
eyeballkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballkid View Post
You going to be replacing top ends like crazy with that bike on the Street......
im fine with that. wiseco makes complete top end kits for between $100-$150, i can get them for less with discounts. labor = my spare time, i have all the tools etc, never done one, but it is within my skills to learn. would be good to learn anyways.

so anyone have opinions on the best MX bikes? will probably be looking for a used one, $1000-1500 tops. this project is a long ways off, but just looking for opinions.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Tricki

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki Gsxr 750 Anniversary

You definately do not want a 125cc motocross bike for a daily ride. The engines are built to be revved really high (in the power band) and would bog down when not screaming down the street. Plus mixing the oil/gas would be a pain in the azz. If you want a 2 stroker bad then I recommend looking on ebay for an old dual purpose bike. Like the old Suzuki TS models.
Tricki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

For the purpose your looking for just pick one (any color) none will excell in street manners. I would recommend against an mx bike though, look for a kaw kdx, older (2t) yam wr or ktm 200/300 exc. they will have lights already (wont have to be installed to pass inspection -necessary for street use) & are much less high strung than any 2t mxr.. = lower maint. concerns, all are great bikes.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Vandals
Scooter

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Ive been hving the same itch as you now that i got some money to play with. Theres a guy in my town that rides a crf450 around and he seems to have no problem cruising at 70 on the highway. I used to have a cr250 and i rode that thing on the street without plates or anything, and it wasnt that hard on the bike cruising about 50 around town
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
You definately do not want a 125cc motocross bike for a daily ride.
oh, i definatly do! its only a 8 mile commute. plus i will still have my gs500 when i need something more practical/ for longer distances. ill also have a k5 gsxr 750 for not-so-practical getting around. the 2t would just be for goofing around, and goofing around on the way to work, mainly. i just want the 2t bad and dont really have time for going out to fields and all that. im not really wanting to ride in the dirt anyways. i want to rip along the urban twisties. oh, how much trouble could i tempt on allen pky...

Quote:
The engines are built to be revved really high (in the power band) and would bog down when not screaming down the street.
you got it! now i think your getting the picture...screaming down the street is definatly part of the plan, and i have no problems keeping it in the band.

Quote:
Plus mixing the oil/gas would be a pain in the azz.
i thought about that, but i plan to attach a small bag of some sort to the bars or somewhere, just large enough for a quart of 2stroke oil. ill make myself a small mix chart, so when i fill up i can look at the pump, see how much gas i added, and then look at the chart and know about how much oil to add. itll work good enough.
Quote:

If you want a 2 stroker bad then I recommend looking on ebay for an old dual purpose bike. Like the old Suzuki TS models.
i will check them out for sure, but i want something super light. super super light. as for the electronics, im not even going to worry about a stator. im thinking use a small battery like a ytx5l-bs, its tiny. i can make a bracket for it and attach to the frame, run the lights straight off the battery with switches. as for charging the thing ill keep it on a battery tender at night. as long as it can go 25 miles or so on a charge that is plenty. if the lights wear out the battery too fast ill figure something else out. probably some wicked LED's that dont use alot of power.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrs View Post
look for a kaw kdx,
YAH YAH!!!

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...220_r_2005.php

that is AWESOME! that would be tight, except maybe more than i want to spend. checked the blue book and maybe if i found a good deal on one...

thanks man i am stoked!

the yamaha one looked cooler, but its 4t
Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals View Post
Ive been hving the same itch as you now that i got some money to play with. Theres a guy in my town that rides a crf450 around and he seems to have no problem cruising at 70 on the highway. I used to have a cr250 and i rode that thing on the street without plates or anything, and it wasnt that hard on the bike cruising about 50 around town
yeah a lot of people make motards out of crf450's but those are 4 strokes right?

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Just buy a Yamaha wr450 and be done with it.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

Quote:
YAH YAH!!!

the yamaha one looked cooler, but its 4t
Older versions (91-98) of the Yamaha wr (250/500) where two strokes. The wr500 (92-93) is a beast & prolly tops out at 85-90.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

chase, yea i think CR=2stroke CRF=4stroke

cool, i will take another look at those WR's.

cripes, 2 strokes have me bad. hook line and sinker.

i just got test ride a KX65, holy !!! ZING! ZING! ZING!
i swear to i wasnt trying to wheelie it, lol.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
d01t1nthedrt
bigballiiinn

Bike(s):
CRF100f (saving for a street bike)

as im shure all of you know, this is the last year of anyone making two strokes.

tsk tsk.

seems they just can't catch up with the big boys.

it's a shame.

im going to miss all that tork.
d01t1nthedrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
d01t1nthedrt
bigballiiinn

Bike(s):
CRF100f (saving for a street bike)

p.s CRF DENFENITLYEY 4 stroke. Cr two stroke

d01t1nthedrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by d01t1nthedrt View Post
as im shure all of you know, this is the last year of anyone making two strokes.
first ive heard of this, where did you get this info?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #19
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Used to make a CR500.

"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

And you can't forget the biggest 2-stroke, the KTM 550

2006ŷC095C265Cbikepics 688428 320
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement