MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

track difficulty levels? for any track guys to answer

ok so for the past month ive been to msrh a few times and i love it, i see the addiction coming in, and all i did was cruise on the track during a practice session for the ccs race, i will def. take my first td at msrh, what i was wondering is do the tracks around se texas have difficulty levels? like the video games you know? beginner, moderate, hard? if so what is msrh level? or is all tracks the same?

thanks for the comments
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track levels Iraqi biker Taking it to the Track 12 09-08-2014 10:19 AM
These guys know how to take it to the track! Nesto1000 Taking it to the Track 13 12-09-2012 04:07 AM
Do you track guys koskesh Gear Talk 26 04-04-2007 11:10 AM
What tires do you guys use at the track? micho Taking it to the Track 41 05-30-2006 11:37 AM
what do you guys think this track will do paniro187 Taking it to the Track 17 11-01-2005 09:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Tough question. Some are more technical than others(MSRH>TWS (Texas World Speedway)), some are much faster (TWS (Texas World Speedway)>MSRH), Others combine high speed and technical(cresson). It really depends on the rider's preference and comfort level(speed, turning, braking etc...). I find MSRH fun but a little boring at times(b/c very few variations of the race line. Maybe its just me). TWS (Texas World Speedway) is cool b/c you get to play with a ton of different lines thoughout the track. I find variety is the best way to go at it.

Just go do a few td's at each venue and see. I think you'll find that each has its various levels of difficulty.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

bigc what do you mean variations of race line?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I'd recommend taking an LSTD group C class with instruction at the track of your choice, and then do MSRH.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
mojo
Platinum Member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 R6

If you want to do a trackday at MSRH LMS has a noob trackday in March there.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
mojo
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
2006 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
bigc what do you mean variations of race line?
Means there are several different lines through the corner that you can take and still have a good corner speed and a fast exit speed.

This is very beneficial when passing in corners and allows you to try different lines through corners and see how it effects your corner speed and your exit speed.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

NOOB DAY!!!!!

If you are going to go with Longhorn Motorcycle School, then definitely do the NOOB day first.

If not, then do an event that has three separate groups like Patrick mentioned.

I recommend against going to a regular LMS day for your first time on a track. It can be done but it's not the best environment for a NOOB.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

ok i understand the noob day, and i will, was asking opinions on track difficulties around se texas. thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Means there are several different lines through the corner that you can take and still have a good corner speed and a fast exit speed.

This is very beneficial when passing in corners and allows you to try different lines through corners and see how it effects your corner speed and your exit speed.
thanks bro
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
all tracks are different. there's no REAL "difficulty level" to any of them....they just have their own characteristics.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
The difficulty level is dependant on you and your lap times. 2:00+ is easy anywhere, while breaking the track record is VERY difficult anywhere. See what I mean. You get out what you put in, or it is as hard or easy as you want it to be. Difficulty is in your mind Grasshopper.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
bigzona
Lean Machine

Bike(s):
07 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
The difficulty level is dependant on you and your lap times. 2:00+ is easy anywhere, while breaking the track record is VERY difficult anywhere. See what I mean. You get out what you put in, or it is as hard or easy as you want it to be. Difficulty is in your mind Grasshopper.
Sensei has spoken.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
ok so for the past month ive been to msrh a few times and i love it, i see the addiction coming in, and all i did was cruise on the track during a practice session for the ccs race, i will def. take my first td at msrh, what i was wondering is do the tracks around se texas have difficulty levels? like the video games you know? beginner, moderate, hard? if so what is msrh level? or is all tracks the same?

thanks for the comments
A lot of tracks have different facets. The Angleton (MSRH) track is pretty technical, but being without any elevation or blind corners, is not nearly as technical as Cresson or Oak Hill- I would rate those two tracks "more challenging", which for me, equals more fun! Texas World is likely the least technical of them all, but it has it's own characteristics that make it challenging, and rewards riders with good cornerspeed/ throttle control/ entry / exit speeds with fast laps. So you really can't "rate" a track's difficulty very easily or accurately, each is unique.

Grand Sport Speedway is extremely similar to MSRH in the regard that it's flat, it is reasonably technical, and has new smooth pavement with great grip. This track is exceptionally good with regard to run off space that is without walls or trees (not that anyone should run off, but if you do, chances are smaller that you'll hit something).

Personally, I see Grand Sport Speedway, and MSRH as more of "instruction" tracks, that can probably do a better job teaching "new" riders the art of body position, throttle control, corner speed, etc, without the factor of a nervous rider that comes up on blind elevated corners.

LSTD is having our first event for '08 (our 8th year in business, longer than anyone else) at Grand Sport Speedway (South Houston, www.grandsportspeedway.com) on February 16th- we have the "C" group there along with our rider's school which is the "noob" group that we've been teaching since day one. It's less expensive for us to have track days there, and we pass that savings on to our customers at $140 for the day + a nominal fee of $25 for all day one-on-one instruction with classroom time. If you miss the event on the 16th, we also have one on March 17th there. The complete schedule can be found on our web site www.lstd.com .

For the low-down answer about how tracks rate, it's all a matter of preference and opinion. Some like some tracks for different reasons, some find some tracks more challenging, some find some tracks more "fun", all for unique reasons. As far as difficulty levels go, it's all good when you're learning to go faaaaaast!

Last edited by tomLSTD; 02-05-2008 at 09:39 PM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #14
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
A lot of tracks have different facets. The Angleton (MSRH) track is pretty technical, but being without any elevation or blind corners, is not nearly as technical as Cresson or Oak Hill- I would rate those two tracks "more challenging", which for me, equals more fun! Texas World is likely the least technical of them all, but it has it's own characteristics that make it challenging, and rewards riders with good cornerspeed/ throttle control/ entry / exit speeds with fast laps. So you really can't "rate" a track's difficulty very easily or accurately, each is unique.

Grand Sport Speedway is extremely similar to MSRH in the regard that it's flat, it is reasonably technical, and has new smooth pavement with great grip. This track is exceptionally good with regard to run off space that is without walls or trees (not that anyone should run off, but if you do, chances are smaller that you'll hit something).

Personally, I see Grand Sport Speedway, and MSRH as more of "instruction" tracks, that can probably do a better job teaching "new" riders the art of body position, throttle control, corner speed, etc, without the factor of a nervous rider that comes up on blind elevated corners.

LSTD is having our first event for '08 (our 8th year in business, longer than anyone else) at Grand Sport Speedway (South Houston, www.grandsportspeedway.com) on February 16th- we have the "C" group there along with our rider's school which is the "noob" group that we've been teaching since day one. It's less expensive for us to have track days there, and we pass that savings on to our customers at $140 for the day + a nominal fee of $25 for all day one-on-one instruction with classroom time. If you miss the event on the 16th, we also have one on March 17th there. The complete schedule can be found on our web site www.lstd.com .

For the low-down answer about how tracks rate, it's all a matter of preference and opinion. Some like some tracks for different reasons, some find some tracks more challenging, some find some tracks more "fun", all for unique reasons. As far as difficulty levels go, it's all good when you're learning to go faaaaaast!
now thats what i was looking for! thanks for taking the time to write that essay. lol, and thaks for the other comments from every1 else
Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

I would say it depends on you, your current skill, your confidence.... its not like a video game as far as easy/hard. its like a video game as far as picking the track you like though. but in the game you have to try them out to know which one you like. same thing applies. now the easy/hard, that is your choice in opponents, and from what I gather and I don't agree with it much, you have to do a beginner race season before you can jump into expert. :/:
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

FYI - I rode H2R yesterday and it is probably the most technical track I've ever ridden. Tie w/ OHR as most fun, me thinks.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
FYI - I rode H2R yesterday and it is probably the most technical track I've ever ridden. Tie w/ OHR as most fun, me thinks.
, sounds interesting....how is the pavement and runoff space? is it fully operational yet?

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Nope nothing there yet 'cept the track. Track's still green, it was WINDY (30mph+) and dusty too. But the Laguna-esque drop going CW is friggin amazing. But too dangerous, IMHO, that direction for TD's. CCW is way fun too though. Couple of full lean, full brake turns like OHR schoolhouse. But faster. AND!!! Its the closest track to me. 45 minutes from SA.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #20
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
I wouldn't say 2:00+ is easy at TWS (Texas World Speedway). 2:10+ is easy.

Advertisement