MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #1
AhmadHasib
Turkey Sammich: Mmmm Good

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Question about dealerships

I've already put a down payment on the first green Ninja 250r that comes to the dealership so I can be the first to get it. But, every time I ask, "Do you know when it's going to come in?" I get the response, "No, it just comes randomly, we find out as soon as we see the delivery truck outside." This confuses me quite a bit.

A dealership is a business. I'm sure some contracts get signed stating they will get this many motorcycles at this time. Of course the dealerships are taking risk by buying a motorcycle to keep at their show floor; they aren't sure if it will sell, or if it will sit. How is it a business pays for the motorcycle they want to come to their dealership, and have NO idea when it's going to come in? No tracking number, no one to call to ask the location of the shipment? No idea of what color is going to come in? How can they be completly aloof to everything?

Doesn't make any sense.
dealerships SouthrnSmkd General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-24-2011 03:06 PM
Losing Dealerships FKNA Off Topic 15 05-21-2009 12:23 PM
Dealerships Bluestreak06 Off Topic 20 05-01-2009 07:48 PM
How Many Dealerships do NOT accept... amber|alexis Off Topic 11 06-12-2008 01:32 PM
toyota dealerships aznhero913 Off Topic 13 06-27-2007 08:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
badman
Banned

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 GSXR 750 ALL BLACK BABY

User is banned

badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Dude, you need to tell us when you are picking up your bike so we can all show up and ride with you back to your place because it's gonna be a monumentous moment ... after 2+ years ... you finally got a bike.

Seriously, we should do something to celeberate ... no one should spend a happy bikeday alone.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
AhmadHasib

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Dude, you need to tell us when you are picking up your bike so we can all show up and ride with you back to your place because it's gonna be a monumentous moment ... after 2+ years ... you finally got a bike.

Seriously, we should do something to celeberate ... no one should spend a happy bikeday alone.
haha ill be posting on MH the day I get it. I'm getting the bike towed from the dealership to my place.. I don't feel I'm experienced enough to ride on the highway just yet (the only riding I did was in an empty parking lot.. MSF FTW). The wait is killing me.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
txgsxrbob
THE SH*T STARTER IS BACK

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1K SOLD !
2012 R1 Moto GP replica # 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmadHasib View Post
I've already put a down payment on the first green Ninja 250r that comes to the dealership so I can be the first to get it. But, every time I ask, "Do you know when it's going to come in?" I get the response, "No, it just comes randomly, we find out as soon as we see the delivery truck outside." This confuses me quite a bit.

A dealership is a business. I'm sure some contracts get signed stating they will get this many motorcycles at this time. Of course the dealerships are taking risk by buying a motorcycle to keep at their show floor; they aren't sure if it will sell, or if it will sit. How is it a business pays for the motorcycle they want to come to their dealership, and have NO idea when it's going to come in? No tracking number, no one to call to ask the location of the shipment? No idea of what color is going to come in? How can they be completly aloof to everything?

Doesn't make any sense.

HAVE YOU CONTACTED ANY OTHER DEALERSHIPS ? I HAD $ DOWN ON A BIKE AT 1 DEALERSHIP ................waiting & waiting ..saw a guy on his bike (my) that friday night. Asked where he bought...called them that saturday morning ,they had one in stock......asked the guy to hold it i was on my way. Called the dealership where my $ was down ,asked the salesman when my bike would be in & told him i had found one he goes on telling me not possible & so i told him i wanted my $ back said i could have it back after 12:00 when gen mgr comes in .Went back up there after 1:30 ON MY NEW BIKE FROM THE OTHER DEALERSHIP !! got my $ back ..was telling others don't leave your money here for a bike you can buy today at this other dealership & ride today !!! so call around & see who has one !!!! someone will want your $$$$

Good luck !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
NOW WHERE IS TXGSXRBOB WHEN WE NEED HIM????
txgsxrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

+1
Someone has to have one of those green bikes now.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
By the time an order is placed for a specific bike, the dealer would just as rather wait for one to come in. However, unless there is a written contract, they don't need to hold the first one. Sounds like a high-ticket item and I would guarantee some of the techs or employees already have there dibs on the first few green that come out, fyi...

Besides which, they are likely to ride it around to see how it feels; a test ride is appropriate after they assembly the crate, but I would go into the show room and check the mileage on the other bikes to determine if they have been over riding it;

its not that I don't trust whichever dealership and the employees for doing their job right, its just that I believe in human nature. When the 4.8came out first one was delivered w over 60miles on it... I had to secure in the intake funnel and didn't put a mile on it at all, parking lot driving only. I was accused of driving it but my mileage stamps were on the RO. But sales and even LOJACK said they needed to drive it...BS....
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
^ haha, thats hilarious, the lojack dude got a free ride, lol.

ive been in the biz for a couple years and that is pretty much the case. it was the same at the other dealer.

people ask me how long a repair is going to take, i tell them "when its done". honestly there is no way to tell you for sure. there are a thousand variables and problems i might or might not run into.

same goes for manufacturing. they are done when they are done. they build them as fast as they can, and get them out as soon as possible. they really do show up "when they show up". there have been several mornings i come in an expect a normal day. instead i walk in and see our warehouse packed and all the sudden i have to scramble and put 3-4 units together just so we have room.

im sure the factory has a loose timetable, but they wont commit to anything in case of delays. say a batch of bikes is supposed to be done on a 15th of a given month. well if they are done on the 10th, you can bet they will not sit for 5 days. they are ahead of schedule and need the room for more units to come off the line. if a machine breaks, or some such they might not be done till the 20th. thats just how it is. they arent going to make a promise they could be held liable for. in this case they hold all the chips so they can do what they want to an extent.

as the first batches come out, they try to spread out the new and exciting stuff to different dealers. one place might get the 08 zx-10 in blue, someone else gets a 08 250 in red. its a crapshoot, they cant give everyone everything all at once. too many dealers would whine.

that being said i think some factorys do play favorites to dealers that sell more units, and they should. dealers that work against a factory instead of working with them on everything from warranty work to sales, etc...are likely to wonder why everyone else seems to get a couple more new units before they do.

the way a dealer orders units is funny business as well. its not like they check off what they want on a list and put in a quantity and get what they want. they wish! sometimes they get to put in an order, but that doesnt mean they will get it. im sure it also varies depending on which dealer and factory you are talking about, and the arrangements they have together.

i remember suzuki shipped a dealer i worked for an 08 busa in one shipment as a suprise. it also came with 3 gs500's they didnt order. what are you gonna do? refuse the shipment and send it back? off suzuki? if you want the one you have to take them all. no factory is just going to give a dealer the easy sales, they make you take the small potatoes too.

some dealers dont even own the bikes they have on the floor, they may have them on credit. this gives the factory more leverage on what they ship. all kinds of wacky things go on in the business from dealer holdbacks, kickbacks, dealer transfers, you name it.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
IslandKilo
Rising Sun

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 YamR6

^^ by any chance are u a salesman at AJ Foyt cycles?

Islandkilo
IslandKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
nope. im a service tech at mancuso sw. why?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
AhmadHasib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
nope. im a service tech at mancuso sw. why?
Keep an Eye out on the green one for me

Advertisement