MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
cleric17

Member Garage

Need some help on a bike choice.

Hey, new to the forum, basically new to biking.

I turned 18 back in april and have wanted a bike ever since. My dad is totally against it but I feel I can get him to help me out with cosigning and everything. I would be able to pay for the bike and insurance.

Now heres to the real thread. Ever since I saw a history channel program about Buell Motorcycles, I fell in love with the Firebold XB12R. Over the past several months I've done alot of research and thinking with my friend who also wants a bike. I will take an MSF course at Mancuso on 290 after I find out which bike I will get and how to get it paid for.

I read up on XB12R and it gets 45 City 65 Road MPG and thats pretty good, but only a 3.7gal tank. Even though I love the firebolt, I think I might have to go with another bike, something cheaper with a bigger tank and better mpg (if there really is). The firebolt is a little stiff at 10k but the salesmen said I can start it at 8, and maybe even get some talking down.

Recently Ive been looking at some more exotic bikes, hondas, suzukis, yamahas, kawasakis and even some cheaper ducatis on eBay. Iam not too interested in choppers or tour bikes, being as they are more expensive and aren't what Iam really looking for.

My main 3 choices of bikes would be Buell Firebolt 06', Yamaha YZF-R6 which I hear is not a good n00b bike and the Suzuki SV1000S which I have not been able to find the mpg on.

Any good advice or just 2cents would be nice
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike Choice???? input please... Bounce305 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 02-17-2014 10:08 PM
Random Question - Bike Choice Chuckster General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-24-2011 01:46 PM
If you had the choice....... Gimpin2Fold Off Topic 77 05-20-2007 08:38 AM
choice DpWrath General Discussion (Moto Related) 75 10-23-2005 08:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Re: Need some help on a bike choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleric17
Hey, new to the forum, basically new to biking.

I turned 18 back in april and have wanted a bike ever since. My dad is totally against it but I feel I can get him to help me out with cosigning and everything. I would be able to pay for the bike and insurance.

Now heres to the real thread. Ever since I saw a history channel program about Buell Motorcycles, I fell in love with the Firebold XB12R. Over the past several months I've done alot of research and thinking with my friend who also wants a bike. I will take an MSF course at Mancuso on 290 after I find out which bike I will get and how to get it paid for.

I read up on XB12R and it gets 45 City 65 Road MPG and thats pretty good, but only a 3.7gal tank. Even though I love the firebolt, I think I might have to go with another bike, something cheaper with a bigger tank and better mpg (if there really is). The firebolt is a little stiff at 10k but the salesmen said I can start it at 8, and maybe even get some talking down.

Recently Ive been looking at some more exotic bikes, hondas, suzukis, yamahas, kawasakis and even some cheaper ducatis on eBay. Iam not too interested in choppers or tour bikes, being as they are more expensive and aren't what Iam really looking for.

My main 3 choices of bikes would be Buell Firebolt 06', Yamaha YZF-R6 which I hear is not a good n00b bike and the Suzuki SV1000S which I have not been able to find the mpg on.

Any good advice or just 2cents would be nice
the sv1000s is as fast if not faster then the r6...its not a good beginner bike either... really though..any bike is OK as long as you have a little bit of practice under your belt....look at Knives post about wrecking his 600rr...i'm sure if he took the MSF, he may have learned how to properly emergency brake a bike and not wreck. but i dunno..people hear dont practice what they preach. they started on an SS bike and tell noobs not to...its your life...buy wat you think you can handle.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
05cbreezy636
lean with it

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
05 636 track

if you’re looking to get good gas mileage the SV isnt the best choice, being a V twin its not going to get great gas mileage. *if your looking at SVs, i would go with the 650 SV for your first bike not the SV 1000.
have you looked at yzf 600r ( not the r6)? it gets good gas mileage would make a good beginner bike. *Good luck in whatever you decide.
05cbreezy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
linjy2

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
02 SV650S
08 WR250X
08 CBR600RR

Send a message via AIM to linjy2

my sv650s hits 150-160miles
linjy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3

http://www.motohouston.com/index.php?topic=2103.0
story about a kid who thought he could handle his bike right:

so basicly if your a idiot you should prob get a small bike lol

if your looking for somthign sporty and cheaper then 10 grand check out the yamaha yzf-600R for 7 grand the black one looks pretty sweet, its gonna be a little more forgiving then the R6 but should still be fun.

here is a tip, dont let girls that have never been on a motorcycle before try to sit on it alone lol if they ask you can just save yourself the time and push it onto the ground.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
cleric17

Member Garage

Thanks for the input guys. Ive have riddin alot on ATVs, and I used to BMX alot. I have pretty good control, and I am definetly going to take an MSF course. I know these babies are alot more powerfull than any ATV Ive been on, but I think its more about the mechanics. Iam a very serious rider, I don't try to stunt or drive like a total jackass (only in cars). Ill look at the 600r, I was really leaning towards getting a 600 instead of something around 1000-1200, maybe later.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

well if your serious about learning to ride then you'd start on a small bike (below 500cc) if not well....... :dontknow:

and you might wanna call your insurance agent, cuz i think you might get a littel sticker shock.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey

I'm still riding my starter bike. I think i'm going to keep it forever. I bought my sportster back in april of 04'. It's a 1200cc, but I really babied it when i got it.

I would have liked to have had something cheaper to start with though. Riding around on a huge investment like that as a new rider was making me nervous. Though it did make me feel good to have something nice.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

As someone else said. SV650 !!!!!

$5900 MSRP and cheaper insurance than a "true" sportbike. Still plenty fast to make you grin from ear to ear.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

If you are really looking for mileage score a Ninja 250 or Buell Blast. Both get near 70mpg and are excellent beginner bikes. Otherwise buy a new CBR600RR and wreck it in the first month so I can buy it for my new track bike. right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
If you are really looking for mileage score a Ninja 250 or Buell Blast. Both get near 70mpg and are excellent beginner bikes. Otherwise buy a new CBR600RR and wreck it in the first month so I can buy it for my new track bike.* right:
+1
Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
PORSCHITO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider

$5900 MSRP and cheaper insurance than a "true" sportbike. Still plenty fast to make you grin from ear to ear.
5900 is a lot for a starter bike i will sell u my bike for that much.
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
Quote:

what did you pay for your r1
Old 09-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
I was assuming from his original post that he was buying new.

As for me, I will NEVER buy a new bike. There's too many people out there that can take that huge depreciation hit for me... right:

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
zixx6r

My advice: buy used and buy abused.

Cheaper and you will learn more, instead of riding around going, "I cant drop my brand new bike, I cant drop my brand new bike!" Rossi didnt start riding on a superbike.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #16
paniro187

Quote:
Quote:

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #17
cbrr03
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600RR

don't start on a 1000cc. Be safe.
cbrr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 PM   #18
st3ph3n

I'm surprised no one has flamed this kid yet.
st3ph3n is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement